Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Portaphile Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Portaphile Appreciation Thread - Page 7

post #91 of 369

The new one(627x) has a much better battery life than the original one. For me 4 hours is enough, it just enough for one coffee session.

 

Truth be toldI do not consider anything of the size of portable amp as it is not something anyone is going to comfortably put in their bag and listen to music, there is just too much hassle to change track. What amps like portaphile are designed for is to give you desktop performance with the option of not been tied down to your table. 

 

At the end what it comes down to is sound which I am sure it will do just fine.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by smial1966 View Post

Guys,

 

Whilst the original 627 is undoubtedly a superb sounding headphone amplifier, how many users can honestly tolerate 4/5 hours run-time before the battery needs recharging?!? I thought I could. So whilst being utterly beguiled by the 627's sonic ability, I became very frustrated having to recharge it so darned often. Now the revised 627X offers a more satisfactory 10 hours run-time but for a $100 premium. In my opinion the Pico Power sounds virtually as good as the 627, is slightly cheaper, has better build quality and form factor, and will run for 40 hours on a pair of 9 volt batteries. 

 

I still really enjoy using my 627 at home, plugged into the mains as a bedside amp, but for portable use the Pico Power is unbeatable.

 

Cheers,

Andy. 

post #92 of 369

audionewbi,

 

Surely the original 627 was designed for portable use?!? I just think it's unfortunate that the 627x couldn't retain the footprint of the 627, as 10 hours playtime and smallish form factor would have made it a killer portable amp.

 

Cheers,

Andy. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewbi View Post

The new one(627x) has a much better battery life than the original one. For me 4 hours is enough, it just enough for one coffee session.

 

Truth be toldI do not consider anything of the size of portable amp as it is not something anyone is going to comfortably put in their bag and listen to music, there is just too much hassle to change track. What amps like portaphile are designed for is to give you desktop performance with the option of not been tied down to your table. 

 

At the end what it comes down to is sound which I am sure it will do just fine.

post #93 of 369
Hi Cesar

Today my 627x have problem low gain many noise sound imbalance and high gain no sound , pls help advise I'm need to send to repair , contact me pass e-mail powpun@gmail.com

Pls help

powpun
post #94 of 369

Hi Powpun, sorry to hear about the problem you are having.    Please visit my website and use the "contact" information to send me any email.  I will be more than happy to take care of any issues you may have if you need to send me the amplifier. 

 

Moderators, please delete this post if it breaks any rules.
 

post #95 of 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by powpun View Post

Hi Cesar

Today my 627x have problem low gain many noise sound imbalance and high gain no sound , pls help advise I'm need to send to repair , contact me pass e-mail powpun@gmail.com

Pls help

powpun

Are you sure you have a problem? My 627X starts to behave very oddly (exactly the way you describe it) some 5 minutes or so before the battery is depleted.

 

I've tried the 627X for a while now with my "iPod Classic + CLAS -dB + 627X + FitEar ToGo 334/AKG K3003"-rig and it sounds better than my two other AMPs (TTVJ Slim, ALO Rx-MK3-B). The soundstage is wider and deeper, the bass has a bit more authority but is still very well controlled, the separation and individual characteristics of instruments is more defined, and most importantly it is virtually (99.5 %) black with the extremely sensitive (and I repeat), extremely sensitive FitEar ToGo 334. In comparison the ALO Rx-MK3-B is a "hissing hell".

 

I'm not sure I'm perfectly happy with every little detail of this AMP (I'm still evaluating). For one thing, I'm beginning to suspect that I don't get the 10 hours of run-time, but it remains to be seen.

 

So do I recommend it? Hard to say! It depends on who you are and what you demand. The enhancements I've described above are to me subtle, very subtle. The iPod Touch 4G sounds exceptionally well on its own too and is black (with the FitEar ToGo 334 the iPod Classic hisses somewhat and the hard drive engine can be heard), and I wouldn't be surprised if many would prefer or at least be perfectly happy with its sound characteristics with TOTL IEMs. Perhaps full size (power hungry) headphones are a different story, but that remains to be seen (and tested by me).


Edited by Aero Dynamik - 6/11/13 at 2:12pm
post #96 of 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappucho View Post

Hi Powpun, sorry to hear about the problem you are having.    Please visit my website and use the "contact" information to send me any email.  I will be more than happy to take care of any issues you may have if you need to send me the amplifier. 

Moderators, please delete this post if it breaks any rules.

 
Thank you Cesar , next time I will contact pass " contact us " on your web site , first time I'm don't know way to contact.
Thank you agian for you help

Powpun
post #97 of 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero Dynamik View Post

Are you sure you have a problem? My 627X starts to behave very oddly (exactly the way you describe it) some 5 minutes or so before the battery is depleted.

I've tried the 627X for a while now with my "iPod Classic + CLAS -dB + 627X + FitEar ToGo 334/AKG K3003"-rig and it sounds better than my two other AMPs (TTVJ Slim, ALO Rx-MK3-B). The soundstage is wider and deeper, the bass has a bit more authority but is still very well controlled, the separation and individual characteristics of instruments is more defined, and most importantly it is virtually (99.5 %) black with the extremely sensitive (and I repeat), extremely sensitive FitEar ToGo 334. In comparison the ALO Rx-MK3-B is a "hissing hell".

I'm not sure I'm perfectly happy with every little detail of this AMP (I'm still evaluating). For one thing, I'm beginning to suspect that I don't get the 10 hours of run-time, but it remains to be seen.

So do I recommend it? Hard to say! It depends on who you are and what you demand. The enhancements I've described above are to me subtle, very subtle. The iPod Touch 4G sounds exceptionally well on its own too and is black (with the FitEar ToGo 334 the iPod Classic hisses somewhat and the hard drive engine can be heard), and I wouldn't be surprised if many would prefer or at least be perfectly happy with its sound characteristics with TOTL IEMs. Perhaps full size (power hungry) headphones are a different story, but that remains to be seen (and tested by me).
Yes , I'm sure this problem , I'm happy on my 627x but yesterday I'm found that issue , I will send to Cesar for Checking.
Thank you for your advise.

Powpun
post #98 of 369

My 627x arrived, first thing first I thought it will be large this thing is smaller than my O2 which pairs nicely with my AK120. I will let the unit play for 200 hours and will make my final impression than.

One thing I have noticed is that 627x performance is linked to its signal input. If it is low you will find yourself passed the 12 oclock dial. 

 

This thing is on the margin of transportable and in my book it is portable. 


Edited by audionewbi - 6/23/13 at 9:09pm
post #99 of 369
Hi,

congrats... I got mine a few weeks ago and think its great!

I've been paying attention to the Tera and AK threads to get an idea of where to set the source volume and perhaps I'm hoping to get your opinion as well.

As far as size and power go, the 627x is overkill for my 1964ears Quad CIEMs, yet works great at the lower gain setting. Still, I am excited to get some "Residential" sized cans for when I'm not traveling.

Size wise the 627x is fine for sitting long stretches and has twice the battery I need most of the time. I take it on international flights and it is a fine size for sitting. I pocket it in a jacket and I carries great with Tera on the back.

It does get warm in a pocket I might add... Not that it bothers me, but I guess the thought crossed my mind whether I should be making an effort to keep it aired for cooling.
post #100 of 369

If you can get your hand on a pair of ES10 the pairing with 627x is just flawless. Truth be told all those years of using amps which now comparing to 627x sound compressed requires me get used to this incredibly opened and dynamic and natural sound of 627x.

 

Perhaps the only annoying thing that I have found (which becomes unoticable when playing music and it is only present when using the AC adaptor) is the inferences we get. 

post #101 of 369

This amp looks like it might be a great upgrade to my uha-6s mkii, does anyone know how it compares to similarly priced amps such as the RSA intruder?

post #102 of 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachchen1996 View Post

This amp looks like it might be a great upgrade to my uha-6s mkii, does anyone know how it compares to similarly priced amps such as the RSA intruder?

We shouldnt really compare single ended with balance amps. What makes those amps special is their balance feature, based on various reviews all those amps could not compete in single ended format against the 627 (the reviews included SR71B not the intruder).

 

The size of things thing is very fair compared to what it offers, I will take some photo against other well know products. It is certainly on the almost transportable side however sizewise it is smaller than O2 in with with having the same depth and length. 

post #103 of 369

My new 627X arrived this morning and it was really nice for an hour or two, but then it died, no sound at all, nada...waiting to hear from Cesar.

 

Oh well frown.gif

 

O.

post #104 of 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omphalopsychite View Post

My new 627X arrived this morning and it was really nice for an hour or two, but then it died, no sound at all, nada...waiting to hear from Cesar.

 

Oh well frown.gif

 

O.

Mine sounded weird a little and I left it charged for whole day, now loving it. Have you check if the battery is charged fully?


Edited by audionewbi - 6/28/13 at 4:17am
post #105 of 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewbi View Post

Mine sounded weird a little and I left it charged for whole day, not loving it. Have you check if the battery is charged fully?

 

Thanks for the response.

 

I don't know how to check if the battery is fully charged.  I'll leave it on the charger for a few hours to see if it makes a difference, but I don't see what difference the battery charge would make. Especially when running it while plugged into the charger.  The LED on the power switch does illuminate,  just no sound at all...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Portaphile Appreciation Thread