Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Portaphile Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Portaphile Appreciation Thread - Page 3

post #31 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poimandres View Post

In the scheme of things a shy under 3/8 of an inch isn't much to give up for over two times the battery length.

 


Both the increased height, 3/8th inch and increased weight 1kg (if I read the Web site correctly) are attributes of the 627x that are a concern to me relative to the 627.  
Yeah, I know, "then don't buy it, no one is forcing you too."
 
In my opinion and for my uses, the increases in height and weight is significant when compared to the frequency with which I would need more than 4 hours of battery life.  In the instances whereby I do need the additional battery life, I am likely to be traveling with a portable USB battery, such as the  SONY CP-AH2R as one example.
post #32 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angular Mo View Post

 


Both the increased height, 3/8th inch and increased weight 1kg

 


I think that was a misprint.  Weight should be closer to about 0.3 KG. 

post #33 of 308

Man, how can I just love & respect a company so much w.out ever having owned one of its products?  Guess it's just the vibe I feel whenever I see Portaphile mentioned...pretty much anywhere.  I appreciate the no-performance-compromises approach taken, well, except in the area of battery life, but such is the way of things in portable high-end audio.  Unless you want to carry around a massive brick, that is.  I know I am anxiously awaiting the time when reasonably accessible battery tech is available so I can own one of these beauties for my portable use.

post #34 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappucho View Post

 


I think that was a misprint.  Weight should be closer to about 0.3 KG. 

Seems, to me, that Portaphile corrected their Web site.  

 

The 627x is expected to weigh 0.4kg, a reduction of 0.1kg, from the 627's weight of 0.5 kg.....a reduction of which I find to be very surprising.

 

A larger battery and case at a reduced weight?  What gives (literally)?

post #35 of 308

The .5Kg is an estimate including the power adapter.  The amp alone weighs less.
 

post #36 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappucho View Post

The .5Kg is an estimate including the power adapter.  The amp alone weighs less.
 

#Pappucho,

If I understand your post correctly;  the 0.5Kg for the 627 includes the power adaptor, whereas the 0.4Kg shown for the 627x does not include the power adaptor.

 

That leaves me wondering what the weight of the 627's weight is without the power adaptor.  It seems, to me, that the relevant weight-measure for a portable amp would be the weight of the device without the adaptor.

 

I hope Portaphile can be a little more specific about what they are weighing.

post #37 of 308

Hi Poimandres,

I'm curious about how 627 compared to Glacier. I have a Glacier myself and thinking about moving up to the 627X.

So could you give a more detail A/B between these two?

post #38 of 308
Thread Starter 
I am sorry as I no longer have the Glacier.
post #39 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poimandres View Post

I am sorry as I no longer have the Glacier.

So could you recall anything, like how the low, mid, high or the sound stage differences ?

post #40 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by kissmevn View Post

So could you recall anything, like how the low, mid, high or the sound stage differences ?

you may want to read this:

http://www.headfonia.com/possibly-the-best-the-627/
http://www.headfonia.com/supersharp-apex-glacier/
Edited by xnuthecaveman - 3/4/13 at 6:04am
post #41 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by kissmevn View Post

Hi Poimandres,

I'm curious about how 627 compared to Glacier. I have a Glacier myself and thinking about moving up to the 627X.

So could you give a more detail A/B between these two?

Hi kissmevn, both 627 and Glaciers are great amps with great sound stage.   I personally find the 627 has an edge over the Glacier as it is more balance and musical with all genres of music.  Both are powerful enough to drive all types of headphones and details retrieval fantastic as compared to other lesser amps.   I am playing both with ipod nano with Toxic cable LOD.   The 627 with ipod nano sounds fantastic and it is the only amp that i don't miss the CLAS Solo in the chain.     

post #42 of 308
Thread Starter 
As stated they are both great amps and when I had purchased the Glacier there weren't any reviews on it save for some members thoughts on head-fi. I still don't believe there are many reviews on the Glacier but what drew me to it was the size and also the built in dac. They are both great amps however I felt I was missing out by not trying the portaphile after reading its reviews. The portaphile is everything that Joe has written about it and also headphonia except for the graininess part, I certainly do not hear that. Either way you can't go wrong, the 627 does have more power and a wider soundstage than the glacier; the glacier has excellent prat and a dac
post #43 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolutionx View Post

Hi kissmevn, both 627 and Glaciers are great amps with great sound stage.   I personally find the 627 has an edge over the Glacier as it is more balance and musical with all genres of music.  Both are powerful enough to drive all types of headphones and details retrieval fantastic as compared to other lesser amps.   I am playing both with ipod nano with Toxic cable LOD.   The 627 with ipod nano sounds fantastic and it is the only amp that i don't miss the CLAS Solo in the chain.     

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poimandres View Post

As stated they are both great amps and when I had purchased the Glacier there weren't any reviews on it save for some members thoughts on head-fi. I still don't believe there are many reviews on the Glacier but what drew me to it was the size and also the built in dac. They are both great amps however I felt I was missing out by not trying the portaphile after reading its reviews. The portaphile is everything that Joe has written about it and also headphonia except for the graininess part, I certainly do not hear that. Either way you can't go wrong, the 627 does have more power and a wider soundstage than the glacier; the glacier has excellent prat and a dac

 

Thank you for the explanation. I already have a CLAS -db and I'm thinking about itouch->CLAS-> 627X.

So DAC is not an advantage of Glacier and I'm using UM Miracle so power is not a concern, too.

So how the prat on 627 compared to Glacier ? I'm really thinking about moving up now :)

post #44 of 308
Thread Starter 

Overall I prefer the 627, it depends on the type of sound you prefer.  The prat is excellent on the glacier.

post #45 of 308
Thread Starter 

My 627X should be here by this Saturday.  Looking forward to it will update and post photos after spending some time with it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Portaphile Appreciation Thread