Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › streaming services recommendations
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

streaming services recommendations - Page 2

post #16 of 34
Definitely worth checking out all the options. As I stated earlier price was and still is where Rhapsody works for me. I need the ability to stream and download to 3 devices and with that in mind it is easily the least expensive. Honestly I think you will be happy with pretty much any of the premium services and amazed how it opens up what you listen to. I can't tell you how many new artists I have discovered through Rhapsody simply because there is no additional cost to listening and downloading something.

And I had not heard that about squeeze boxes being fazed out. Maybe time to try and pick one up cheap in case mine ever kicks it. I have been extremely happy with the device and it has lasted for years.
post #17 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcharlie View Post

Definitely worth checking out all the options. As I stated earlier price was and still is where Rhapsody works for me. I need the ability to stream and download to 3 devices and with that in mind it is easily the least expensive. Honestly I think you will be happy with pretty much any of the premium services and amazed how it opens up what you listen to. I can't tell you how many new artists I have discovered through Rhapsody simply because there is no additional cost to listening and downloading something.

And I had not heard that about squeeze boxes being fazed out. Maybe time to try and pick one up cheap in case mine ever kicks it. I have been extremely happy with the device and it has lasted for years.

Thanks. I've really had a lot of really good feedback from my original post. So, I don't have an iphone, smart phone, etc....totally old school. But, I'm thinking of getting one specifically to stream or maybe stream from a Kindle.

 

For non HP listening, what I really want to do is listen-initially-in one room and access a streaming service and itunes on a preexisting stereo that I could also plug my cans into. I'm leaning toward Sonos and then maybe expand into other rooms later.

 

But, to try one of the free monthly trial deals, I may switch over to an Iphone...still weighing that one out.

 

I'm constantly ordering CD's from Amazon and I think I'll always want some CDs to listen through a decent sound system and to listen in my car, I'm wondering if I could listen to music on demand via streaming, if I would feel less compelled to purchase as much music.

 

For instance, I might think, "gee-I'd like buy some of the classic rock I listened to as a kid-I'd love to hear Rush's Moving Pictures, or Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, or The Who or the Doors". But, I don't know if I would actually go out and purchase those old classics of yore. I like jazz and classical, but when push comes to shove and I BUY something-it's probably going to be some knd of new rock, metal or punk. If I could stream it, however, heck yeah-let's listen to some Miles Davis or whatnot.

 

It's a brave new world and I need to start thinking a little out of my late 80s-1990s box.

post #18 of 34
Thread Starter 

Very cool stuff-Thanks for sharing your feeback!

post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm1 View Post

For non HP listening, what I really want to do is listen-initially-in one room and access a streaming service and itunes on a preexisting stereo that I could also plug my cans into. I'm leaning toward Sonos and then maybe expand into other rooms later.

Many modern AVRs have the ability to connect to iOS (and some with Android), and they also allow for network streaming of music from a PC or Mac. For example, the Denon 1913. That Denon even has Spotify built in. Sonos is a better choice for when you want to simultaneous stream the same music to multiple rooms and want to buy multiple Sonos devices. If you have an old receiver that doesn't have this capability, it might be cheaper to upgrade it if you really don't need Sonos's capabilities.

Also, newer AVR models should be coming out spring/summer. Given the popularity of streaming and connecting other devices, probably going to see even better features in AVRs for doing this. In fact, I would not be surprised if in the next 2 or 3 years we start seeing Android built into some AVRs so that they can do all the streaming services without need for an external device. That's just a guess, but it is a fairly good assumption to make that streaming technology is evolving very fast, and we will likely see many changes over the next few years. Even my new Panasonic Viera Plasma TV can stream Pandora through optical to my receiver.

Oh, and before you jump on the iPhone bandwagon, know that some Android devices now support USB audio out, meaning you can hook up many portable DAC/headphone amps to your Android phone: http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/1065#post_8967179. So could use your headphones in any chair in your house with a good portable DAC/amp like the O2 & ODAC combo (yes, I saw your other post smily_headphones1.gif ).
post #20 of 34

There is a Rhapsody app for the Nook, I have it on my Nook HD.
 


Edited by kh6idf - 2/3/13 at 9:57am
post #21 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kh6idf View Post

There is a Rhapsody app for the Nook, I have it on my Nook HD.
 

How are you amping your HP from your nook? Do tablets and readers need a DAC? I've got a nook and a Kindle in my house, but an old flip phone....thinking of getting something to access streaming services.

post #22 of 34

I have a Sonos system in my house and it is really convenient.  It allows access to music stored on a NAS (networked hard drive) or a computer through something like itunes.  It also has rhapsody built in which is a great feature.  Controlling it via the iPad is intuitive and easy.  It adds a lot of flexibility to my 2 channel system which is otherwise limited to vinyl/CDs.

post #23 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


Many modern AVRs have the ability to connect to iOS (and some with Android), and they also allow for network streaming of music from a PC or Mac. For example, the Denon 1913. That Denon even has Spotify built in. Sonos is a better choice for when you want to simultaneous stream the same music to multiple rooms and want to buy multiple Sonos devices. If you have an old receiver that doesn't have this capability, it might be cheaper to upgrade it if you really don't need Sonos's capabilities.

Also, newer AVR models should be coming out spring/summer. Given the popularity of streaming and connecting other devices, probably going to see even better features in AVRs for doing this. In fact, I would not be surprised if in the next 2 or 3 years we start seeing Android built into some AVRs so that they can do all the streaming services without need for an external device. That's just a guess, but it is a fairly good assumption to make that streaming technology is evolving very fast, and we will likely see many changes over the next few years. Even my new Panasonic Viera Plasma TV can stream Pandora through optical to my receiver.

Oh, and before you jump on the iPhone bandwagon, know that some Android devices now support USB audio out, meaning you can hook up many portable DAC/headphone amps to your Android phone: http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/1065#post_8967179. So could use your headphones in any chair in your house with a good portable DAC/amp like the O2 & ODAC combo (yes, I saw your other post smily_headphones1.gif ).

That's some great information.  I'm in the process of comparing droids to iphones. RE: the reciever, it is old- circa 1990 or so. I'm just looking at the audio end at one point. But, I do want to make sure I can sync it w/ Sonos or something similar. I'll have to take a look at the O2 & ODAC combo as well.

post #24 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmstrmbn View Post

I have a Sonos system in my house and it is really convenient.  It allows access to music stored on a NAS (networked hard drive) or a computer through something like itunes.  It also has rhapsody built in which is a great feature.  Controlling it via the iPad is intuitive and easy.  It adds a lot of flexibility to my 2 channel system which is otherwise limited to vinyl/CDs.

Sounds like a winner.

post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm1 View Post

Sounds like a winner.

Glad to help out!

post #26 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm1 View Post

That's some great information.  I'm in the process of comparing droids to iphones. RE: the reciever, it is old- circa 1990 or so. I'm just looking at the audio end at one point. But, I do want to make sure I can sync it w/ Sonos or something similar. I'll have to take a look at the O2 & ODAC combo as well.

That's right. Don't you have the old Pioneer system and are looking to get a CD player too? smily_headphones1.gif

BTW: I should clarify. The O2 & ODAC combo in one unit is not portable. They put the ODAC circuitry where the batteries go in the O2 in the combo unit. But they are available as separates. And you could combine the ODAC with a different headphone amp.
post #27 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post


That's right. Don't you have the old Pioneer system and are looking to get a CD player too? smily_headphones1.gif

BTW: I should clarify. The O2 & ODAC combo in one unit is not portable. They put the ODAC circuitry where the batteries go in the O2 in the combo unit. But they are available as separates. And you could combine the ODAC with a different headphone amp.

That's correct. I said reciver-meaning my 1990 Pioneer system with Onkyo C-7030 CD Player that I just ordered. I've also just ordered Schiit Asgard. I'm debating getting a dedicated DAC or a portable ampflifier/DAC combo to double as an amplifier with my IPOD and DAC for computer.

post #28 of 34
If you get a portable DAC, then you can use it to connect your computer with the Schiit Asgard or use it to hook it up into your Pioneer setup. Then the iPod won't take a DAC, just a headphone amp. So a portable heaphone amp would work well with it.
post #29 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

If you get a portable DAC, then you can use it to connect your computer with the Schiit Asgard or use it to hook it up into your Pioneer setup. Then the iPod won't take a DAC, just a headphone amp. So a portable heaphone amp would work well with it.

Thx.

post #30 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm1 View Post

How are you amping your HP from your nook? Do tablets and readers need a DAC? I've got a nook and a Kindle in my house, but an old flip phone....thinking of getting something to access streaming services.


I'm using Shure SE215 IEMs, the Nook drives them with sufficient volume.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › streaming services recommendations