Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Best LOD for apple products
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best LOD for apple products

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Hey guys about to purchase a portable amp for my iPod touch/classic and was just wondering what is a good LOD I can get. I know there are silver/copper/silverxcopper LODs but I'm still confused as to what the advantages and disadvantages of each.

I was looking at Alo audio, twag, toxic, btg for LODs so just wanting to get some opinions about them. Thanks.
post #2 of 17

The FiiO ones work just fine. I don't see the logic in buying an LOD that casts as much or more than the iPod you're plugging it into, although there are people here that will swear it is worth doing. I personally wouldn't spend more than $25 on one, unless a money tree suddenly sprouted in my yard.wink.gif

post #3 of 17
.
Edited by H20Fidelity - 1/26/13 at 9:52pm
post #4 of 17
Thread Starter 

so in terms of sound quality there aren't any discernible differences besides they might look cooler? lol

post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznInvasion138 View Post

so in terms of sound quality there aren't any discernible differences besides they might look cooler? lol

http://www.head-fi.org/t/254343/can-you-tell-the-difference-between-different-cables
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznInvasion138 View Post

so in terms of sound quality there aren't any discernible differences besides they might look cooler? lol

That's an ongoing debate, that I can't honestly answer one way or the other because I haven't had the chance to try one of the expensive ones....but I am skeptical.

post #7 of 17
Thread Starter 

So if I were to decide to get a custom silver or copper wire LOD, I just wanted to confirm some of the things I've researched. That copper gives a warmer sound signature while silver gives a brighter more analytical signature. So if I have IEMs that have a warmer, bassier signature I would want silver since copper would give too much warmth too my music? Any help would be great thanks!

post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznInvasion138 View Post

So if I were to decide to get a custom silver or copper wire LOD, I just wanted to confirm some of the things I've researched. That copper gives a warmer sound signature while silver gives a brighter more analytical signature. So if I have IEMs that have a warmer, bassier signature I would want silver since copper would give too much warmth too my music? Any help would be great thanks!

Yes, you've got the right idea. It's all a balancing act according to preference, you won't go overly dark by using copper with a warm IEM, but probably more benefits can be had by using silver plated copper to bring out some detail and air. Believe it or not my copper and silver plated cable actually differ in soundstage width. (I'm not joking) and for acoustic music I prefer copper / warmth to bring out the guitars and percussion instruments. It all sounds far fetched, some people can't a hear a change at all. You can't really go wrong with a silver plated cable imo, it blends the best of both worlds. Remember to take into consideration how warm/cold your source is as well.
Edited by H20Fidelity - 2/2/13 at 8:30pm
post #9 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post


Yes, you've got the right idea. It's all a balancing act according to preference, you won't go overly dark by using copper with a warm IEM, but probably more benefits can be had by using silver plated copper to bring out some detail and air. Believe it or not my copper and silver plated cable actually differ in soundstage width. (I'm not joking) and for acoustic music I prefer copper / warmth to bring out the guitars and percussion instruments. It all sounds far fetched, some people can't a hear a change at all. You can't really go wrong with a silver plated cable imo, it blends the best of both worlds. Remember to take into consideration how warm/cold your source is as well.

 

Thanks a lot H20 for the response. So if the majority of the time I will be running my headphones/IEM out of my macbook pro/ipod and am probably going to be purchasing the Leckerton UHA-6 MK II (which I believe is a balanced/neutral amp) then I would greatly benefit from a pure silver plated cable? If so do you have any recommendations of any cables I should look at. Been looking at BTG Audio and Chris Himself cables for my LOD at this point. Thanks again!

post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznInvasion138 View Post

Thanks a lot H20 for the response. So if the majority of the time I will be running my headphones/IEM out of my macbook pro/ipod and am probably going to be purchasing the Leckerton UHA-6 MK II (which I believe is a balanced/neutral amp) then I would greatly benefit from a pure silver plated cable? If so do you have any recommendations of any cables I should look at. Been looking at BTG Audio and Chris Himself cables for my LOD at this point. Thanks again!

Have a look here at some LOD's.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=ipod+LOD&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Where exactly will you be using this cable? Those ones linked are for Apple ipod/iphones etc..,
post #11 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post


Have a look here at some LOD's.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=ipod+LOD&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Where exactly will you be using this cable? Those ones linked are for Apple ipod/iphones etc..,

 

Definitely from my Ipod touch 3rd gen to most likely Leckerton UHA-6 MKII

post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznInvasion138 View Post

Definitely from my Ipod touch 3rd gen to most likely Leckerton UHA-6 MKII

I was speaking to a friend who has owned the Leckerton UHA-6 MKII, he recommends something silver plated.

Where you find one and how much you spend is up to you.
post #13 of 17

I don't have a ton of experience with LOD's, but I did try out several different ones with my ipod classic into a headamp AE-2 with Westone UM3X iems.  I found the copper to be too warm, not enough high end detail, a qables silver LOD, which was so bright I couldn't listen to it for any length of time, and a TWAG with Vida Blue connectors from Whiplash that was phenomenal. Expensive to be sure, but by far the best of the 3. Not even close. Also, to try and make sure I wasn't being biased, I blind tested them with my wife {who is far from being an audiophile}, and she came up with very similar results as I did.  My $.02. 

post #14 of 17

Digital or analogue purpose?

 

ADD: I use a Furutech iD-30PA for USB, and the manufacturer supplied cable with a HP-P1. Best I can say is a slight increase in transparency and no change in sonic character, I think the system is only barely resolving enough to have any difference at all. I suspect much more profound differences with analogue audio signal. As always I'm skeptical too.


Edited by AJHeadfi - 2/4/13 at 11:17pm
post #15 of 17
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the responses guys. Yeah I figured getting a copper LOD would make the sound signature to warm and a pure silver one too bright so I'm most likely going to go with a silver plated copper wire LOD. This will be exclusively used with my portable rig (ipod/amp/iems). Now I just have to figure out where to get one from. My budget as of now is $50-60, for me personally I don't want to be spending more money on a LOD than I would some IEMs. So far I'm looking into BTG Audio, Chris Himself, and Toxic cables. Anyone have any suggestions or comments about these sellers? Thanks again for the help guys!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Best LOD for apple products