Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC appreciation + discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC appreciation + discussion thread - Page 7

post #91 of 2924
Quote:
Originally Posted by jseaber View Post

 

Features and specifications will be posted with the preorder announcement. We'll leave subjective reviews up to you guys.

 

Channel balance is the amount of error between the left and right output signals (i.e., does one side sound much louder than the other?). Any amplifier which relies on an analog potentiometer will exhibit some degree of channel imbalance at the lowest threshold of knob rotation. That imbalance can be severe until you turn the knob past the imbalanced region, usually the first 10-20% of knob rotation.

 

Analog potentiometers are low cost and perform well--as long as you listen at volumes above the imbalanced region. Implementing a digital volume control without degrading THD+N is a challenge. Done right, it's worth the expense.

 

OMG I'm not CRAZY!!!!  (well just maybe...)  I ALWAYS notice that with almost every device I have ever used.  Some better than others, but I didn't know if it was my headphones being louder in one driver or something.  So it's the channel balance of the amp!  And this is better than the 02 in that regard?

 

Overall, I really think I'm leaning towards this as my next amp.

post #92 of 2924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post


I agree this would be the ideal option.

 

Triple agree.  I hate when you want that bass right in between... But I think he tweaked it to +6db or so?  That's better, since you will probably use it on songs they "need" more bass, and therefor +3 "might" not be enough.  I'd rather have +3/+6, but +6 is better than +8.

 

I'm curious if anyone can say exactly "how" much better the 02 is in clarity/quality?  With something like the Senn HD600 for instance, would the 02 be like "wow, i didn't hear that on the c5" or more like "ok, ok, there's a little more clarity, but nothing major..."  ???


Edited by luisdent - 2/8/13 at 3:44pm
post #93 of 2924
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post


I agree this would be the ideal option.

 

Triple agree.  I hate when you want that bass right in between... But I think he tweaked it to +6db or so?  That's better, since you will probably use it on songs they "need" more bass, and therefor +3 "might" not be enough.  I'd rather have +3/+6, but +6 is better than +8.

 

I'm curious if anyone can say exactly "how" much better the 02 is in clarity/quality?  With something like the Senn HD600 for instance, would the 02 be like "wow, i didn't hear that on the c5" or more like "ok, ok, there's a little more clarity, but nothing major..."  ???

The O2 was designed to be sonically transparent to the human ear, meaning it doesn't exist sonically in an audio rig. The designer of the O2 has an article on his blog about this, but it is illegal to post a link on Head-Fi. If there are sonic differences between the C5 and the O2, it very well could be due to a colouration of the C5, in which objective measurements could probably point this out. How much colouration and whether or not it subjectively "sounds good" is a reason why synergy is often discussed for audio equipment.

 

Since the C5 isn't released yet, it is hard to say how much of a difference the C5 sounds compared to an O2.


Edited by miceblue - 2/8/13 at 11:20pm
post #94 of 2924
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

The O2 was designed to be sonically transparent to the human ear, meaning it doesn't exist sonically in an audio rig. The designer of the O2 has an article on his blog about this, but it is illegal to post a link on Head-Fi. If there are sonic differences between the C5 and the O2, it very well could be due to a colouration of the C5, in which objective measurements could probably point this out. How much colouration and whether or not it subjectively "sounds good" is a reason why synergy is often discussed for audio equipment.

Since the C5 isn't released yet, it is hard to say how much of a difference the C5 sounds compared to an O2.

Illegal? To link to just his blog or any blog? Is it because he was banned or something?
post #95 of 2924
Thread Starter 
Just his blog as he was banned, I think it's a bit silly really as it was a while ago, but still.
post #96 of 2924
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomkid View Post

Just his blog as he was banned, I think it's a bit silly really as it was a while ago, but still.

 

Wait, so if I want to tell someone about his amp, I can't put a link to his page here?  That seems a bit ridiculous a thing to be "illegal"...  Don't mean to stir up an old issue, but his site has some good information on how we hear things and subjective/objective hearing articles.  What is the difference if I tell someone "go to google and look up his subjective hearing article" or if I just past a link to his article?  It doesn't stop anyone from getting to his page, it just makes it more tedious.  Just my thoughts. :-o  I thought this forum was for audiophiles to share information about audio and headphones, etc? :)  I would hope anything that helps that cause would be allowed...  Even if the user isn't.

post #97 of 2924
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMee View Post

No, I just don't want to be involved in a "black friday" event where everyone stomp over each other for a couple of available units.

FiiO did that with the E12, so I just skipped the E12.

If JDS does the same than I'll just move on to the headstage arrow and wait until there's plenty of C5 in stock.

 

We have 1000+ cases in stock, and we're building enough C5 boards to get through March. That's adequate time to adjust production based on actual demand.

Reply
post #98 of 2924
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMee View Post

No, I just don't want to be involved in a "black friday" event where everyone stomp over each other for a couple of available units.

FiiO did that with the E12, so I just skipped the E12.

If JDS does the same than I'll just move on to the headstage arrow and wait until there's plenty of C5 in stock.

Huh? There are still E12s available through the Micca store. I don't see anyone stumbling/stomping/falling over each other to buy them.

post #99 of 2924
Quote:
Originally Posted by campj View Post

Huh? There are still E12s available through the Micca store. I don't see anyone stumbling/stomping/falling over each other to buy them.

I was talking about the preorder.

post #100 of 2924
Quote:
Originally Posted by jseaber View Post

 

We have 1000+ cases in stock, and we're building enough C5 boards to get through March. That's adequate time to adjust production based on actual demand.

Thanks, I just bought a HE-400 so I hope this amp pairs well with it.

post #101 of 2924
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMee View Post

I was talking about the preorder.

Oh, I see. 

post #102 of 2924
Quote:
Originally Posted by jseaber View Post

 

We have 1000+ cases in stock, and we're building enough C5 boards to get through March. That's adequate time to adjust production based on actual demand.

 

Nice. Hope to see the spec soon.

post #103 of 2924
Quote:
Originally Posted by jseaber View Post

We have 1000+ cases in stock, and we're building enough C5 boards to get through March. That's adequate time to adjust production based on actual demand.

 

 

I'm not sure if this has been answered before, but are the case dimensions the same as the c421? 

post #104 of 2924
Thread Starter 
From the pictures it looks quite a bit smaller
post #105 of 2924
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomkid View Post

From the pictures it looks quite a bit smaller

 

Yes, exactly! Ence my question and I just want John to confirm that to us all, since he stated he has the final cases ready... popcorn.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC appreciation + discussion thread