How does the bass boost compare to the cmoyBB's bass boost?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- JDS Labs C5D, C5 plus DAC! Last post on 11/10/13 at 8:31pm in Portable Source Gear
- WTB: JDS C5 amp Last post on 7/19/13 at 3:23pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- ODAC Troubleshooting Last post on 2/11/15 at 12:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- JDS LABs C5D vs FiiO E17K Last post on 8/17/15 at 3:38pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Looking for IEMs with similar sound signature to Beyerdynamic T90 Last post on 1/9/15 at 2:54am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 6/26/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)Last edited: 6/26/15
INTRODUCTION The Encore RockMaster IE is a new crowd-funded IEM from SonicUnity, and new audio company formed by Rick Hopkins. Rick's a music industry veteran who's helped with concert design for...
I'll do my best to keep this review nice and short, and hit all the key points. Sections: -Overview about myself (to give background on music preferences, previously owned IEMs,...
Introduction Everyone here and their mothers have heard of the HD600/650. After over 10+ years, the HD600 series still remains a timeless classic, withstanding the test of time with is...
I first joined Head-Fi in November of 2014. At the time I owned a couple of pairs of IEM’s, and had just purchased my first DAP (Fiio X3) and over ear headphones (Sennheiser HD598). I really...
So these headphones only came-in for me three days ago. I got them used on Amazon for $240, and have listened to them about 10 hours a day (seriously) since I got them, for a total of over 30...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC appreciation + discussion thread - Page 41
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Nice impressions nOtEcH!
I have a question about the ISP programmer.
- I soldered the ISP headers onto the C5
- I attached the female end of the pocket programmer to the ISP header pins
- I tried to go through the suggested downloads and workarounds for Windows 7 but none of them seem to come to any decisive conclusions and/or the download links for the drivers are unavailable
- Trying to upload the plain, unaltered code to the C5 from Arduino's software (I have the C5's board selected in Tools -> Boards, I get the following error:
Try Adafruit's USBTiny drivers for Win7. I haven't had success with Sparkfun's drivers or workarounds on Win7 x64. Drivers are the biggest battle.
Switch C5 on after connecting the USBTiny. Then from Arduino, use File-->Upload Using Programmer. Its power light will remain off, but that supplies +5V power to the Atmega168.
when i just received it and tried it out, it seemed a little treble happy but now is more subdued such that it is not piercing my ears now (120 hours). Lower volume thud when turning on (according to john). Cant compare to the 2227 one cos i dont have one.
in summary, tighter,punchier bass, slightly (just a tiny little) more emphasis in mids, extended high compared to my fiio e6
you can still order it haha. its the same price and you get to choose a custom art :0
So tried the C5 with a pair of Beyerdynamic T90's tonight using gen 5 ipod and fiio lod cable. Listened to a few different songs (Fagen "IGY", Satriani "Always with You Always with Me", Deep Purple "Child in Time", Cake "No Wheels", Afro Cuban Allstars "Amor Verdadero", SRV "Texas Flood", Oysterhead "Radon Balloon").
All of the music was missing a good deal of mid levels. In Radon Balloon there are bells which usually 'ring' clearly and sound realistic coming out of my ipod or Schiit amp. They lost their realness using the C5. SRV's guitar lost its twang tone that he's known for. Also, I have to turn the amp up pretty far to drive the T90's and the noise floor is pretty loud at that level. These cans do not pair well with this amp.
Oddly the T90's sound better directly out of the ipod jack. Clarity and detail are better and the soundstage sounds more realistic. This doesn't really make sense to me.
I'm surprised how much better the Vmoda M80's sound with this amp compared to the T90's. The C5 really opened up the M80's all around. Before trying them with the C5 I wasn't entirely impressed with them. Playing most of the same songs mentioned above through them they really shined. I can't say enough about the C5 pushing the M80's. Its a great match. I definitely have a great portable rig using the Ipod 5th gen > fiio lod > JDS C5 > Vmoda M80.
Someone 'borrowed' my 1/8" adapter. As soon as I get it back I'll try the amp out with some Grado 325's. I have a feeling they'll pair a little better than the T90's due to their lower impedance.
Yes. Which is probably why I like it with the M80's. Their highs are lacking.
(the first amp listed in each bullet-point has the advantage, in my opinion; the order of bullet points is irrelevant)
- O2 gives the sense of a larger soundstage with more air between instruments; C5 sounds more boxed-in
- O2 sounds a bit more dynamic; C5 sounds a little duller (not boring dull, but instruments don't sound as rich)
- O2 has a smoother treble (I don't think smoother is the right word for this, nor is rolled-off, but it's not as fatiguing compared to the C5); C5 sounds a tad bit brighter
- C5 has a midrange that is is a tad bit more forward and engaging; O2 sounds more laid-back
Thanks guys, I will be listening more in detail once I have 200 hours of burning in.
Looking forward to your impression. I also have a DD Socket 1. I like how the CD and DD 1 stack on top of each other. Can you let me know which edition of the DD socket 1 you have?
I'm interested in this DAC too. Any review on how it pairs with the C5 will be appreciated. This may be a stupid question and not specific to the C5. If I'm using a LOD to feed an amp will my ipod's battery last longer? Seems like since it's not pushing the headphones it would consume less power...
It doesn't sound that much different than my iPods do frequency wise, and iPods measure very flat. Instead it sounds cleaner with more clarity (not brightness) and perhaps better dynamics. And much more power. Just a thought. Has anyone done any measurements themselves by chance? It's probably too early, but just thought id ask...
Edited by luisdent - 3/15/13 at 9:36pm
- JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC appreciation + discussion thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › NAD Viso HP30, anyone? 46 seconds ago
- › Sound Drops in Either Earbud on Slight Movement 2 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X5 Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 3 minutes ago
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 4 minutes ago
- › Ultrasone Signature DJ 5 minutes ago
- › X7, the Flagship DAP from FiiO ( updated on 15/12/2014) 5 minutes ago
- › New Zealand Headphone Meet MK II, 2015 Ed. 5 minutes ago
- › Pics of Headphones... Rules: ONE PIC. NO WORDS! 5 minutes ago
- › New Kennerton ODIN (Planar Magnetic), MAGISTER, VALI... 7 minutes ago
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by T.R.A.N.C.E.
- › Fidue A65 - Titanium micro dynamic driver IEM by T.R.A.N.C.E.
- › Encore RockMaster IE by nmatheis
- › Noble 3 by WhatToChoose
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Headphone by dazzerfong
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by hakushondaimao
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by goodyfresh
- › Creative Sound Blaster Roar 2 Portable NFC Bluetooth Speaker with... by lin0003
- › Encore RockMaster OE by Armaegis
- › Final Audio Design Heaven VII by AndrewH13
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2