Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC appreciation + discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC appreciation + discussion thread - Page 3

post #31 of 2886
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by musical-kage View Post

How does the C421 compare to say the O2? That is the only one I have actually heard of that is built by JDS Labs.
I'm guessing this is an upgrade so should sound better than the C421 if that is infact newer than the O2?

O2 has the upper hand in clarity and power, but C421 is still a great amp, and way more portable.

What about battery time on C5 John?
post #32 of 2886
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomkid View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by musical-kage View Post

How does the C421 compare to say the O2? That is the only one I have actually heard of that is built by JDS Labs.
I'm guessing this is an upgrade so should sound better than the C421 if that is infact newer than the O2?

O2 has the upper hand in clarity and power, but C421 is still a great amp, and way more portable.

What about battery time on C5 John?

From the Facebook update:

Quote:
Most customers expect at least 8 hours run-time, so 10-12 hours is common with high-end amps. This has not changed.
post #33 of 2886
Thread Starter 
Pretty much the same as C421, fine for me
post #34 of 2886
Quote:
Originally Posted by musical-kage View Post

How does the C421 compare to say the O2? That is the only one I have actually heard of that is built by JDS Labs.

I'm guessing this is an upgrade so should sound better than the C421 if that is infact newer than the O2?

 

No amp should sound discernibly "better than" O2. At that level of performance, the best you can expect in an A-B comparison is equal transparency.

 

O2 wins in maximum output power. C5 wins by a longshot in channel balance and ease of portability.

Reply
post #35 of 2886
Quote:
Originally Posted by jseaber View Post

 

No amp should sound discernibly "better than" O2. At that level of performance, the best you can expect in an A-B comparison is equal transparency.

 

O2 wins in maximum output power. C5 wins by a longshot in channel balance and ease of portability.

Cheers for the reply. I was just wondering what the differences in each model were, and the sound characteristics.

 

Channel balance? I don't quite understand what that would mean. Better seperation? Or, left to right channels are more equal?


Edited by musical-kage - 1/27/13 at 11:38am
post #36 of 2886
Quote:
Originally Posted by musical-kage View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseaber View Post

 

No amp should sound discernibly "better than" O2. At that level of performance, the best you can expect in an A-B comparison is equal transparency.

 

O2 wins in maximum output power. C5 wins by a longshot in channel balance and ease of portability.

Cheers for the reply. I was just wondering what the differences in each model were, and the sound characteristics.

 

Channel balance? I don't quite understand what that would mean. Better seperation? Or, left to right channels are more equal?

Better channel balance as in it won't suffer from the channel imbalance one gets with the O2 (or most volume knob controlled amplifiers) at low levels.

post #37 of 2886
Quote:
Originally Posted by musical-kage View Post

Cheers for the reply. I was just wondering what the differences in each model were, and the sound characteristics.

 

Channel balance? I don't quite understand what that would mean. Better seperation? Or, left to right channels are more equal?

 

Features and specifications will be posted with the preorder announcement. We'll leave subjective reviews up to you guys.

 

Channel balance is the amount of error between the left and right output signals (i.e., does one side sound much louder than the other?). Any amplifier which relies on an analog potentiometer will exhibit some degree of channel imbalance at the lowest threshold of knob rotation. That imbalance can be severe until you turn the knob past the imbalanced region, usually the first 10-20% of knob rotation.

 

Analog potentiometers are low cost and perform well--as long as you listen at volumes above the imbalanced region. Implementing a digital volume control without degrading THD+N is a challenge. Done right, it's worth the expense.

Reply
post #38 of 2886

Does the C421 provide a significant bass boost?  Will the C5 offer a similar bass boost?
 

Good timing finding this thread.  If I didn't know about the C5, I might have already ordered the FiiO E12.  Now I have a tough decision coming up with Verza on the way as well.


Edited by Craigster75 - 1/28/13 at 10:08pm
post #39 of 2886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post

Does the C421 provide a significant bass boost?  Will the C5 offer a similar bass boost?
 

Good timing finding this thread.  If I didn't know about the C5, I might have already ordered the FiiO E12.  Now I have a tough decision coming up with Verza on the way as well.

 

The C421's specs say:

Quote:
Bass Boost, +8dB peak

I'm guessing the C5 is a similar bass boost too.

post #40 of 2886
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

 

The C421's specs say:

I'm guessing the C5 is a similar bass boost too.


If that is the case, +1 for C5 vs. E12's (+3 dB).

post #41 of 2886

Wow another creation from JDS. Gotta compete for dollars going towards the highly anticipated E12. Seriously though, I love the c421 with the 2227 opamp. I would have to see more than improved channel balance and a lever Alps control though. And I own the CMOYBB, c421, and O2. Next amp I buy will be the E12. Although I am sure this will sell well.

post #42 of 2886
I personally think 8db is too much of a bass boost. Would love to see a 2 stage implementation of say 3 and 6db. Amp is looking great.
post #43 of 2886
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunshane View Post

I personally think 8db is too much of a bass boost. Would love to see a 2 stage implementation of say 3 and 6db. Amp is looking great.


I agree this would be the ideal option.

post #44 of 2886
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunshane View Post

I personally think 8db is too much of a bass boost. Would love to see a 2 stage implementation of say 3 and 6db. Amp is looking great.

Agreed. +8db does seem like that's a lot of boost. Most people that would buy a amp at this price point would simply buy Sony XB700s if they wanted their headphones to sound like that smily_headphones1.gif
post #45 of 2886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

 

The C421's specs say:

I'm guessing the C5 is a similar bass boost too.


If that is the case, +1 for C5 vs. E12's (+3 dB).

It's all speculation at this point, that was just my guess. The CMoyBB has a +9.4 dB bass boost. :o

JDS Labs will release the official specs within the next week-ish.

popcorn.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC appreciation + discussion thread