You pretty much nailed it, they are the improvements it usually brings.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- JDS Labs C5D, C5 plus DAC! Last post on 11/10/13 at 8:31pm in Portable Source Gear
- WTB: JDS C5 amp Last post on 7/19/13 at 3:23pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- ODAC Troubleshooting Last post on 2/11/15 at 12:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- JDS LABs C5D vs FiiO E17K Last post on 8/17/15 at 3:38pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Looking for IEMs with similar sound signature to Beyerdynamic T90 Last post on 1/9/15 at 2:54am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 6/26/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)Last edited: 6/26/15
At the time this review was written the Cayin C5DAC was on sale at Penon Audio for $215.00 USD. Here is a link to their...
Intro When it comes to the world of PC audio, Creative Labs is a brand well known. For nearly 35 years Creative has been an industry leader in digital multimedia technology and innovation....
I have had my AK380 for over a month now and its time to post a review Before I had the AK380 I had an NW-ZX2 for 6 months, an AK240 for nearly two years and the AK120 before that, so yes, I...
I have tried the JBL Synchros line of s300, s500, and s700. As it turns out, the low end model sounds the best to me. These are on ear design, cups are about 3 inches wide. Headband and yokes are...
These are easy to use and pair quickly with your device. The sound quality - lows, mids, and highs are excellent provided a good seal with the ear. Good bluetooth range, battery life, and comfort....
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC appreciation + discussion thread - Page 140
Gear mentioned in this thread:
i'm using the shure se 215cl with c5d and ipod touch 5th gen, they sound great! i was using fiio e07k before the c5d and i really prefer the c5d over the fiio, the sub bass is just awesome on the c5d!
Listening to 1 kHz sine waves isn't very fun...
Bah, anyway. From general listening sessions, I find the C5D to have better synergy with the MrSpeakers Alpha Dog than the ODAC/O2 combo despite the technical differences. Technically, the ODAC/O2 has a harder-hitting bass, much better-defined instruments, well-extended treble, and is revealing of the headphone's characteristic sound. The Alpha Dog seems to have a treble peak that makes hi-hats sound artificial, and the C5D reduces that sound. It's hard to make the call on which combo sounds better though since I really enjoy the overall spacious sound of the ODAC/O2, its well-defined instruments, and easy-to-follow bass; it sounds more transparent to me with the exception of revealing the Alpha Dog's treble peak. The C5D has better instrument layering, a slightly soft treble response, a slightly more forward midrange, and overall sounds more musical. I hate using that word on the other hand since it's so vague; with the C5D, the Alpha Dog just sounds more groovy and I'm able to get into the music more. The ODAC/O2 sounds more sterile in that the music is just there.
Their overall sound signatures are roughly the same though, so I guess it's a "pick your poison" kind of scenario. XD
Edited by miceblue - 2/4/14 at 9:00pm
I think it's not a problem on O2/Odac doesn't go along with Alpha Dogs. It just simply shows how apha dogs interpret the singnal from the source. It's good that C5D creates a good combination with Alpha Dogs. But it also tells the C5D is not transparent and somewhat colored and negates the peaks in Alpha Dogs? Maybe, using a different headphone will likely hightlight this.
My experience on C5D is mixed. Though I like the bass boost, the smooth treble as you descibe it resolves less details in the highs and compared to O2 has less bass impact, attributes I appreciate especially listening to rock/metal.
My C5D is seeing more time in storage lately than my O2 and Leckertons.
The output of a DAC is just a low level signal, there is no need to volume match.
It's hard for me to do a fair ODAC/O2 vs C5D comparison since I have to switch the USB cable, wait for the device to be recognised, and play music. I'm just playing a 1 kHz sine wave right now and trying to volume-match that after listening to it for a good minute to get it burned into my head.
Can't you just plug both devices into your comp and use foobar to switch between devices?
Not necessarily, some people like the bass volume/amount which is provided by C5D's bass boost. It's a personal preference. I just love to hear details true to the source for all songs not just rock/metal and love the powerful slam/impact O2 produce on rocks songs over C5D.
Finally, after had trying no.3 Lighting to Usb CCK cable, my iPhone 5 works very fine with C5D so I think it was a fault of the cable.
I love this Dac/Amp with EDM music...great bass boost and more detailing mids/treble.
Thanks To Jds Labs and almost to John Seaber for the help in resolving this matter.
- JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC appreciation + discussion thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Lets Talk Metal 4 seconds ago
- › JVC FX850 Trebs are REALLY fatiguing?? 1 minute ago
- › Teac UD 503 DAC (2015 New Release, DXD, DSD256) 2 minutes ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 3 minutes ago
- › Review: CEntrance DACport Slim DAC/Amp Combo 3 minutes ago
- › GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone... 3 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Bette hybrid review by jekostas. PG 1972. 3 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 4 minutes ago
- › Need advice on portable player 4 minutes ago
- › Head-Fi Meet Downtown Montreal 2015 AUGUST 30TH DATE CONFIRMED 5 minutes ago
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by Hisoundfi
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by Bansaku
- › Astell&Kern AK380 Ultimate High Fidelity Portable Music Player by piercer
- › JBL Synchros S300 Premium On-Ear Stereo Headphones by ourfpshero
- › JBL J46BT Bluetooth Wireless In-Ear Stereo Headphone by Mark231
- › Sony MDR EX1000 by dubbcd
- › Cypher Labs Algorhythm Picollo by dubbcd
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by dubbcd
- › HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC 2 (External PSU) by BloodyPenguin
- › KZ ED9 Tunning Nozzles In-Ear Headphones by Reinoud1963
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2