Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC appreciation + discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC appreciation + discussion thread - Page 127

post #1891 of 2744
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

10ohm, 8 ohm, it doesn't really matter that much. C421-AD8620 will still get my top recommendation to pair with an ER4S as one of the best sounding combo out there.

Even with OP2227, C421 sounds pretty amazing with ER4S, so I can see where you're coming from, it's taken my ER4S to an entirely new level.

Anyway guys I ended up choosing C421, the C5 is going back in a week, but this isn't to say I may pick one up too soon and own both. They're both great amps, I just find C421 a little more for my tastes.
post #1892 of 2744
Quote:
Originally Posted by r2muchstuff View Post
 

JDS blog:

 

The c421 Black Edition actually marks a small internal change. In response to In Ear Matters review in June, we swapped output ferrites from an 11 ohm part to a 2 ohm part (PCB has notchanged). It’s an extremely subtle change which can be made to any c421. Black endplates are also available as an upgrade kit for current c421 owners.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged anodizingc421CNC on September 21, 2012 by jseaber.

 

Output impedance of c421 was dominated by the output ground IC. Changing the output impedance ferrites still resulted in a higher than desired impedance, close to 10 ohms, if I recall.

Reply
post #1893 of 2744

Hello, i have some questions about a portable setup i'd like to buy

 

i got an ipod touch 5g with ios 7.0.4, so i'm using the lightning connector: i'd like to know if this setup will be possible:

 

ipod --> cck --> usb a male to mini b male adapter --> jds labs c5d --> http://img.2dehands.be/f/normal/176233920_2-fiio-andes-e07k-occ-pure-copper-mini-to-mini-kabeltje.jpg --> arrow 4n --> headphones

post #1894 of 2744
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the info John!

 

@Sinik That setup will work but you'll be double amping as the C5D doesnt have Line-Out, only headphone out. Why do you need the Arrow anyway, as the C5D already has a great amp section.

post #1895 of 2744

@ostewart ah damn... i want the arrow because i've heard it's the best bass boosted amp... but i might wait for the arrow g5 that will come with an usb dac...

post #1896 of 2744
Thread Starter 
The C5D has an excellently implemented bass boost, ask anyone here and most will agree JDS do the best bass boost!
post #1897 of 2744
The bass boost on the C5 here is one of the best I've heard. It does an excellent job of never clouding the mids, when you switch it on the mid range stays the same, unlike other amps that can form a slight veil. When I first switched it on with a pair if Takstar PRO 80 and some dub step it almost blew my head off. A sure focus around 80Hz somewhere.
post #1898 of 2744

Haha i guess i need to hear it from someone who has heard both of them, the jds labs c5d and the arrow 4n and the soon to come g5. i'm getting tired about searching information on stuff, getting more and more mad about apple's stupid lightning connector!

post #1899 of 2744

bass boost is why I love c5d!!!! :)

 

I even use it with the DX50 for that reason! (I don't like software EQs and bass boost is all I need)

post #1900 of 2744
Before the battery ran out of juice on the C5D, I did some quick comparisons on the bus between the C5 and they sound pretty much the same to me.

And yup, I like the C5D's middle bass boost option. It works out for more music genres that don't need the full bass boost.
post #1901 of 2744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinik View Post
 

@ostewart ah damn... i want the arrow because i've heard it's the best bass boosted amp... but i might wait for the arrow g5 that will come with an usb dac...

 

The "best" is something of opinion and headphone model.  The difference between the jds labs and arrow is not that great.  I'd argue you have more options with the jds, because the boost is affected by the gain setting, so you effectively get 4 settings.

 

Here's the difference graphed.

 

 

 

 

The both roll back down, closer to 0db, at around 500hz and then very gently taper back to 0 at around 1000hz.  So, basically they both impact mostly the sub bass region peaking around the 40-50hz areas.  The c5 holds the bass at a fairly evenly boosted amount all the way down to 20hz or less.  The arrow boosts mostly the 40/50hz area and drops back down below that.

 

But as you see with the c5/c5d, you get a few changes in the slope and shape of the boost based on the gain setting.

 

Either way though, they are both within a few db of each other and within the same basic frequency regions.  The jds boost will sound a bit "fuller" if that's what you're after.  I like it because it hits the super duper low sub bass area so you get that awesome round, full bass tone when you need it. mmmmmmmmm  The arrow is good too though.

post #1902 of 2744
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

Before the battery ran out of juice on the C5D, I did some quick comparisons on the bus between the C5 and they sound pretty much the same to me.

And yup, I like the C5D's middle bass boost option. It works out for more music genres that don't need the full bass boost.

it's very important for the music I usually listen to. tomorrow I will purchase this DAC/AMP definively.

post #1903 of 2744
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post

The "best" is something of opinion and headphone model.  The difference between the jds labs and arrow is not that great.  I'd argue you have more options with the jds, because the boost is affected by the gain setting, so you effectively get 4 settings.

Here's the difference graphed.










The both roll back down, closer to 0db, at around 500hz and then very gently taper back to 0 at around 1000hz.  So, basically they both impact mostly the sub bass region peaking around the 40-50hz areas.  The c5 holds the bass at a fairly evenly boosted amount all the way down to 20hz or less.  The arrow boosts mostly the 40/50hz area and drops back down below that.

But as you see with the c5/c5d, you get a few changes in the slope and shape of the boost based on the gain setting.

Either way though, they are both within a few db of each other and within the same basic frequency regions.  The jds boost will sound a bit "fuller" if that's what you're after.  I like it because it hits the super duper low sub bass area so you get that awesome round, full bass tone when you need it. mmmmmmmmm  The arrow is good too though.

what software is used for these graphs?
post #1904 of 2744
Oho man. I just played through some of Dust: An Elysian Tail on the bus and my gawd is it a friggin' AWESOME game. I can not believe this game was made by one guy, minus the voice acting and soundtrack. It's so friggin' beautiful!



V-MODA Crossfade M-100 + JDS Labs C5D on max bass boost = super satisfying rumbling when you face smash an enemy or an explosion happens. The bass boost of the C5/C5D is simply AWESOME for gaming.
post #1905 of 2744
So I've been playing around with the C5D as an amp only with my PSBs and I've discovered something I love. If I have the bass-boost on the C5D on full, and apply a bass-boost within PowerAmp, I can get some really nice sub-bass out of the PSBs. Up until now I thought they just weren't capable of any real sub-bass, and when using just the C5D bass-boost or just the PowerAmp bass-boost they aren't. But combining them together brings it out very nicely. It doesn't bleed into the rest of the music really, either, though on some tracks it can become a little fatiguing. It's mainly for using on ambient tracks that really rely on sub-bass.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC appreciation + discussion thread