Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC appreciation + discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC appreciation + discussion thread - Page 89

post #1321 of 2443
Quote:
Originally Posted by chengsta View Post

I listen to classical with bass boost ON!  I feel like it's natural because if you've ever been to an orchestra, you will realize that yes, there is a lot of bass.  But then when you listen through headphones the bass isn't there and so I believe that bass is just naturally attenuated from our equipment and 'natural' isn't natural at all, it's bass-less and it bugs me.  Classical sounds alot more enjoyable and realistic with bass on, it feels as if I'm right in front of the concert. 

 

With that being said, hey JDS labs!  Your C5 amp is my favourite, but I was wondering if you guys are considering creating an amp of the same quality (or better) as the C5, but with a 9 or 12db bass boost option...  No I'm not crazy, and I already have the Z02 and don't like its poor quality.

I agree and dis agree -.- SHAME on you, if you want the EPIC bass of Classical listen to a Beyer Dt 990 WITHOUT bass boost, as the can has a SUPER great MID BASS hump that's very tight and well textured... but I do agree to a point. Classical is better with a tad more bass than neutral, point in case the Akg K550 can't compete with the Beyer Dt 990 Pro's classical delivery! 

 

That being said, I'm having the bass boost on my C5 halfed, it's a touch to much for me! 

post #1322 of 2443
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBleu View Post

Hey guys, very sorry about my incident yesterday regarding the C5's "hiss".
 
I found out today what the error was, and why it was doing it. It was utterly my fault, and I am deeply sorry for raising awareness over a false claim. It turned out my source was not maxed volume, but was set to rather low, hence I needed to pretty much max the C5 to produce sound.
 
It has been solved, and the greatness of the dead silence from the C5 has been restored. biggrin.gif
 
Thanks for your help and thoughtfulness, guys!
 

 

No apology needed, esp. since you solved the mystery and posted the explanation. Now others who experience the same or a similar problem have a little more knowledge they can use.

post #1323 of 2443
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post

 

No apology needed, esp. since you solved the mystery and posted the explanation. Now others who experience the same or a similar problem have a little more knowledge they can use.

Glad to hear that :D 

post #1324 of 2443
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmike1 View Post

Anyone listening to classical/small jazz groups/female jazz singers with this amp?? And how does it sound in these genres??

I've found it to sound beautiful with female vocals. I'm a big fan of Alice Russell and her voice is captivating with both my Beyer dt770AEs and Hifiman HE-500s.

IMO the c5 is quite a neutral sounding amp so it really let's the 'phones shine smily_headphones1.gif
post #1325 of 2443
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesfleming View Post


I've found it to sound beautiful with female vocals. I'm a big fan of Alice Russell and her voice is captivating with both my Beyer dt770AEs and Hifiman HE-500s.

IMO the c5 is quite a neutral sounding amp so it really let's the 'phones shine smily_headphones1.gif

Hmm it can run a He-500

 

Does this amp have enough power to sufficently drive a 600 Ohm Beyer Dt 880, I'd assume from using it in LOW GAIN [with the 250 ohm Beyer Dt 990 Pro] that yes it does, the question though is quality... I am hopeful... and I'll see how well it does soon enough! 

 

Going to be pairing a Hifiman Hm 801 ->Jds Labs C5 -> Beyer Dt 880 Pre 600 ohm, as my new portable, a direct upgrade to my old hm 601 jds cMoy -> Beyer Dt 880 Pro 250 ohm set 

 

As a frame of refrance, I very much enjoy the 600 ohm at 50% volume out of my Matrix M stage [at +10 gain :O] 

post #1326 of 2443

I was telling gnarlsagan in a message the other day that I had my comply foam tips and er4s in my ears for a while listening to music, enjoying the heck out of it, and then realized I wasn't using any eq at all.  Could I have improved things with a touch of sub bass eq?  Sure, but I never noticed anything was missing.  I'm saying this for two reasons.

 

First, the er4s, while not perfectly flat in the sub bass, definitely doesn't lack any major amount of bass.  In fact, I'd say most speakers that people love for "bass" have less sub bass than the er4s.  Anyhow, the comply tips really help for me.  I can insert them the deepest while getting an excellent AND uber comfortable seal.  I mean comfortable.  So far, I'd say the er4s is as comfortable as anything else, but isolates better when I use these tips.

 

Second, I realized why the bass roll off didn't bother me that night listening with no EQ...  I was using lossless files and my JDS C5 amp instead of just my fuze.  I can't exactly say why, but I tried using no eq again tonight, only this time being aware of it.  I am listening right now and it sounds great.  Again, with the C5 sourced from my apogee duet computer interface using lossless files.  So, here's the thing.  I can't exactly tell how or why, but the bass just sounds better on the C5.  If I do a switch back and forth between fuze/C5 I have a very hard time telling any difference.  However, when I listen with the fuze using no eq I almost always feel the need to add my sub bass eq after 15 seconds into a song.  Not that it's "needed" but I much prefer it.  So I will have to compare the C5/lossless to the fuze side by side instead of just the fuze with and without the C5.

 

So apparently either the C5 is doing something on high gain that makes the bass sound better or it's the lossless files... or both.  It doesn't sound louder or boosted at all, but just better somehow.  And that further makes it seem less recessed.  I still prefer a tad eq no matter what to make it truly flat and wish they had that implemented in them by default.  However, this is a nice thing to know.  I might have to use lossless and/or the C5 with my fuze as well now. :-P

 

The C5 is pretty much ruler flat frequency response as is the sansa line of players with these audio components (fuze/clip/zip).  So I'm not sure what it is.  Perhaps the extra power is just making a difference in driving them better?  Perhaps the lossless files?  Perhaps don wilson could chime in on wether the raw amp power would make a difference if the fuze drives them well to begin with?  I don't notice any other major differences so far,  but I'll start doing more serious comparisons.  Again, the difference is so small I have a hard time telling between the two comparing them.  But I know it's there, because more than once now I've found the sound to be different without even knowing why and then realizing it's the C5 on my computer vs. the fuze being different.  So there was no mental bias in the picture.

 

I'll post this and ask john seaber on the c5 thread as well.  He did mention the high gain sounding "different" but I'm not sure why... I think he said he did all the measurements on high gain, thus the frequency response should be ruler flat...  Interesting.  Go C5/ER4S/lossless combo!!!  Wow. That's all I can say.

post #1327 of 2443
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post

I was telling gnarlsagan in a message the other day that I had my comply foam tips and er4s in my ears for a while listening to music, enjoying the heck out of it, and then realized I wasn't using any eq at all.  Could I have improved things with a touch of sub bass eq?  Sure, but I never noticed anything was missing.  I'm saying this for two reasons.

 

First, the er4s, while not perfectly flat in the sub bass, definitely doesn't lack any major amount of bass.  In fact, I'd say most speakers that people love for "bass" have less sub bass than the er4s.  Anyhow, the comply tips really help for me.  I can insert them the deepest while getting an excellent AND uber comfortable seal.  I mean comfortable.  So far, I'd say the er4s is as comfortable as anything else, but isolates better when I use these tips.

 

Second, I realized why the bass roll off didn't bother me that night listening with no EQ...  I was using lossless files and my JDS C5 amp instead of just my fuze.  I can't exactly say why, but I tried using no eq again tonight, only this time being aware of it.  I am listening right now and it sounds great.  Again, with the C5 sourced from my apogee duet computer interface using lossless files.  So, here's the thing.  I can't exactly tell how or why, but the bass just sounds better on the C5.  If I do a switch back and forth between fuze/C5 I have a very hard time telling any difference.  However, when I listen with the fuze using no eq I almost always feel the need to add my sub bass eq after 15 seconds into a song.  Not that it's "needed" but I much prefer it.  So I will have to compare the C5/lossless to the fuze side by side instead of just the fuze with and without the C5.

 

So apparently either the C5 is doing something on high gain that makes the bass sound better or it's the lossless files... or both.  It doesn't sound louder or boosted at all, but just better somehow.  And that further makes it seem less recessed.  I still prefer a tad eq no matter what to make it truly flat and wish they had that implemented in them by default.  However, this is a nice thing to know.  I might have to use lossless and/or the C5 with my fuze as well now. :-P

 

The C5 is pretty much ruler flat frequency response as is the sansa line of players with these audio components (fuze/clip/zip).  So I'm not sure what it is.  Perhaps the extra power is just making a difference in driving them better?  Perhaps the lossless files?  Perhaps don wilson could chime in on wether the raw amp power would make a difference if the fuze drives them well to begin with?  I don't notice any other major differences so far,  but I'll start doing more serious comparisons.  Again, the difference is so small I have a hard time telling between the two comparing them.  But I know it's there, because more than once now I've found the sound to be different without even knowing why and then realizing it's the C5 on my computer vs. the fuze being different.  So there was no mental bias in the picture.

 

I'll post this and ask john seaber on the c5 thread as well.  He did mention the high gain sounding "different" but I'm not sure why... I think he said he did all the measurements on high gain, thus the frequency response should be ruler flat...  Interesting.  Go C5/ER4S/lossless combo!!!  Wow. That's all I can say.

 

OH TRUST ME, the C5 in high gain has a BIG bass boost. VERY solid and well textured, but it's HUGE, about twice as loud as the Low gain boost [at least on my model and to my ears] and yes I am matching volume when I switch from high to low gain. John also told me the High Gain boost is different! 

 

Still I'm getting my bass boost halved tommorw! 

post #1328 of 2443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

 

OH TRUST ME, the C5 in high gain has a BIG bass boost. VERY solid and well textured, but it's HUGE, about twice as loud as the Low gain boost [at least on my model and to my ears] and yes I am matching volume when I switch from high to low gain. John also told me the High Gain boost is different! 

 

Still I'm getting my bass boost halved tommorw! 

 

I was referring to the amp gain mode, not the bass boost gain mode.  My C5 with bass boost OFF in high-gain amp mode sounds pretty much the same flatness as the low-gain amp mode, but just different...  Maybe I'm wrong, but is high gain/no bass boost mode ruler flat frequency response john?

post #1329 of 2443
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post

 

I was referring to the amp gain mode, not the bass boost gain mode.  My C5 with bass boost OFF in high-gain amp mode sounds pretty much the same flatness as the low-gain amp mode, but just different...  Maybe I'm wrong, but is high gain/no bass boost mode ruler flat frequency response john?

Oh yea, high gain is sonically [at least to me] the same sound wise, and John would totally know! 

post #1330 of 2443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

Hmm it can run a He-500

Volume is definitely not an issue, it gets plenty loud enough even on low gain. I've experienced some clipping at quite high volume with the bass boost on, however, this is pretty rare and not at the volume I usually listen at.

Does it do them justice? I don't know. I bought an ALO Rx MkII recently to try something a bit more powerful. I haven't had enough time to compare the two but my initial thoughts are that the Rx does bass better.

I've been hearing good things about the Lake People G103/G109 so I'm going to go down that route after selling either one or both of my portables.

I really wish there was somewhere local (Brisbane Australia) that I could audition some amps. It's very difficult to know just how much of my H500s potential is being realized with my current setup.
post #1331 of 2443
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesfleming View Post


Volume is definitely not an issue, it gets plenty loud enough even on low gain. I've experienced some clipping at quite high volume with the bass boost on, however, this is pretty rare and not at the volume I usually listen at.

Does it do them justice? I don't know. I bought an ALO Rx MkII recently to try something a bit more powerful. I haven't had enough time to compare the two but my initial thoughts are that the Rx does bass better.

I've been hearing good things about the Lake People G103/G109 so I'm going to go down that route after selling either one or both of my portables.

I really wish there was somewhere local (Brisbane Australia) that I could audition some amps. It's very difficult to know just how much of my H500s potential is being realized with my current setup.

Indeed, as your know orthos are very current hungry so chances are the portable isn't quiete getting them where they need to be, i'm just hoping the C5 will have enough volts to drive the 600 ohm Beyers. I suppose I'll know soon enough! When I get my 3.5mm 1/4" adapter in to give a listen to the beyer C5 combo

post #1332 of 2443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

Oh yea, high gain is sonically [at least to me] the same sound wise, and John would totally know! 

 

Frequency response is flat in both gain modes. Bass boost, THD, and max output power change between the two levels.

Reply
post #1333 of 2443

hallo

 

does the led turns off when the charging is completed??

 

regards

 

thomas

post #1334 of 2443
Yup it turns off.
post #1335 of 2443

hallo

 

thanks a lot miceblue

 

regards

 

thomas

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC appreciation + discussion thread