Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC appreciation + discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC appreciation + discussion thread - Page 9

post #121 of 2770
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvibes View Post

LOL. Nothing is perfect. Lets keep it about the C5. Everybody says they design for perfect. I like his blog a lot but......

 

Oh, not really a problem per se, but I just question the validity of information from a forum that blocks information I know is reasonable tested, thought out information.  That's all.  I don't want to start anything, but block the user not our ability to share good information.  That's ridiculous. :-P  Is it really not allowed to link to his site?

post #122 of 2770

And regarding the C5, i'm getting really antsy.  I want to see (and hear) this sexy metal box. :) haha

post #123 of 2770
I find the sharp edges of the C421 a little troublesome when using them as portables, but it's a great size nevertheless!
post #124 of 2770
Quote:
Originally Posted by putente View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by imackler View Post

 

I super like the C421 size, too. And that being said, I think the C421 w/ the OPA227 is a stellar amp! Am I excited for the C5? Sure. But that doesn't change that if JDS never came out with the C5, I'd still be perfectly happy with the C421. I'm afraid some have indicated that the C421 is a less than great amp. Its a great amp! 

 

 

I have to completely agree with you. I've put my c421 for sale as nowadays I just use the iBasso P4 (almost all the time, as it's just pure awesomeness with the opamp setup I have) and the E12 (because of the "new toy" syndrome)! But I enjoy the c421 very much, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. It amazed me for a long time, and in the future, I'm almost sure I'll try the C5 too...

How does the C421 fare against the E12 sound-wise? I think the C5's major competitors are the E12 and the C&C BH.

 

I hope the C5 has a non-brushed metal option. I have the ODAC with that finish and it tends to attract a lot of skin particles...kind of gross when you think about it. When I rub my hand in the opposite direction of the grain, it puts a chalky coating on the ODAC, and likewise for any fingernail scratches.


Edited by miceblue - 2/13/13 at 11:55pm
post #125 of 2770
Thread Starter 
The C421 size is perfect with the iPod classic. It has been my trusty go to amp, I love my C421, and let's see if the C5 will replace it
post #126 of 2770
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

How does the C421 fare against the E12 sound-wise? 

 

 

From the short comparison I've done, the c421 (OPA2227) wins for mids and highs (smoother), and sounstage! It kind of feels more natural. The E12 is more "fun", with a more powerfull bass section and more agressive mids and highs. This, with a  new "straight-out-of-the-box" E12 unit. These findinds are my subjective view about them...

post #127 of 2770
Thread Starter 
I think the main difference will be channel imbalance not being a problem with the C5, that may swing it for me, but only sound will really swing it, and I will have to be very impressed for it to steal my C421's place, the C421 really is an amazing portable amp, from sound to build quality
post #128 of 2770

Facebook update:

Quote:
We finished verifying benchmarks at 1am this morning. Writing the C5 page and blog announcement today!
post #129 of 2770

Given that the C5 is designed objectively instead of subjectively, and that it is done with the Prism Sound dScope Series III audio analyzer make me highly optimistic that the C5 will be a baby O2 amp that I can finally squeeze into my tight jean pocket together with my music player.

post #130 of 2770
Quote:
Originally Posted by xuan87 View Post

Given that the C5 is designed objectively instead of subjectively, and that it is done with the Prism Sound dScope Series III audio analyzer make me highly optimistic that the C5 will be a baby O2 amp that I can finally squeeze into my tight jean pocket together with my music player.

We can only hope. popcorn.gif

post #131 of 2770

Any indication on price yet? I am hoping and expecting it to be <$200.

post #132 of 2770
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatmanSize48 View Post

Any indication on price yet? I am hoping and expecting it to be <$200.

There's no set price yet (it'll officially be released tomorrow if things go as planned), but it is below $200 USD.

post #133 of 2770
Quote:
Originally Posted by xuan87 View Post

Given that the C5 is designed objectively instead of subjectively, and that it is done with the Prism Sound dScope Series III audio analyzer make me highly optimistic that the C5 will be a baby O2 amp that I can finally squeeze into my tight jean pocket together with my music player.

 

I will shed a tear. :-P

post #134 of 2770

The ODAC is quite small. If the C5 is as neutral, or near neutral to the O2, isn't it possible for JDS Labs to marry the ODAC to the C5 in a pretty small package that is still highly portable? If that's the case, then anyone with an android phone can have a 100% neutral set up on the go

 

So it's: Android phone --> USB out --> (ODAC + C5) --> earphones

 

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, I'm very new to using an android phone with an external DAC and not exactly sure of the pathways and how it works.

post #135 of 2770
Quote:
Originally Posted by xuan87 View Post

The ODAC is quite small. If the C5 is as neutral, or near neutral to the O2, isn't it possible for JDS Labs to marry the ODAC to the C5 in a pretty small package that is still highly portable? If that's the case, then anyone with an android phone can have a 100% neutral set up on the go

 

So it's: Android phone --> USB out --> (ODAC + C5) --> earphones

 

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, I'm very new to using an android phone with an external DAC and not exactly sure of the pathways and how it works.

 

I could be wrong, but I think their hands are tied using the odac/o2 designs being open source without nwavguys permissions, and i think he fell of the planet...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC appreciation + discussion thread