Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC appreciation + discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC appreciation + discussion thread - Page 70

post #1036 of 2885
When it comes to investing to in the audio chain I like to refer to the article from this http://en.goldenears.net/index.php?mid=KB_Columns&document_srl=1921&m=0

Read the article and see the figure below then decide for yourself which you think is the better....a dac or earphones or for that matter cables and as you can see the end of the chain is the most benificial to invest your time and money in.


Figure 2. The approximate range of distortion in sound reproduction in dB scale (FR only)
post #1037 of 2885
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

and my C5 actually has a few non-anodised bare spots on the inside of the aluminum enclosure (these was here when I first opened it up but I never mentioned it since it's not a big deal to me):

 

 

 

That's one of the first batch cases. The anodizer didn't consider the inside important; that appearance is caused by placement of their clamp. They've since improved the process, so clamp marks are no longer visible.

 

We'll be adding bare cases to the store soon. Here's a photo taken last week:

 


Edited by jseaber - 6/1/13 at 10:18pm
Reply
post #1038 of 2885
Interesting read rckyosho. Thanks.
post #1039 of 2885
Quote:
Originally Posted by jseaber View Post

That's one of the first batch cases. The anodizer didn't consider the inside important; that appearance is caused by placement of their clamp. They've since improved the process, so clamp marks are no longer visible.


We'll be adding bare cases to the store soon. Here's a photo taken last week:



I've always thought that those areas missing the anodising in the inside were cause by the battery hitting it slightly when the board is slided in and out of the case but I guess I was wrong.
Anyway good to hear your offering the case as a separate item. How about the front and back panel, Are those going to be available too?
post #1040 of 2885
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckyosho View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseaber View Post

That's one of the first batch cases. The anodizer didn't consider the inside important; that appearance is caused by placement of their clamp. They've since improved the process, so clamp marks are no longer visible.


We'll be adding bare cases to the store soon. Here's a photo taken last week:


I've always thought that those areas missing the anodising in the inside were cause by the battery hitting it slightly when the board is slided in and out of the case but I guess I was wrong.
Anyway good to hear your offering the case as a separate item. How about the front and back panel, Are those going to be available too?

@ jseaber

Ah that's good to hear. I figured it might be a clamp of some sort since the bare spots are similar in size and shape.

 

@ rckyosho

Yeah I'm curious too. Black looks mighty fancy:

 

 

@ jseaber again

Is the bright-dipping technique adding a gloss finish to the anodised aluminum or does it still have the "chalkboard" texture? I was actually going to write on my review of the C5 that its texture reminds me of a chalkboard, and I really like that feeling, hahaha.

 

^ both images were from JDS Labs aluminium blog entry

 

The red bright-dipped C5 in particular reminds me of the Product Red line of Apple products in-person (online photos make the products look brighter than they actually are).


Edited by miceblue - 6/2/13 at 1:01am
post #1041 of 2885

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckyosho View Post

Anyway good to hear your offering the case as a separate item. How about the front and back panel, Are those going to be available too?

 

Sure!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

jseaber again

Is the bright-dipping technique adding a gloss finish to the anodised aluminum or does it still have the "chalkboard" texture? I was actually going to write on my review of the C5 that its texture reminds me of a chalkboard, and I really like that feeling, hahaha.

 

^ both images were from JDS Labs aluminium blog entry

 

The red bright-dipped C5 in particular reminds me of the Product Red line of Apple products in-person (online photos make the products look brighter than they actually are).

 

That was our goal. Glad you can see the resemblance.

Reply
post #1042 of 2885
Thread Starter 
I may buy the red enclosure with black faceplates... We'll see
post #1043 of 2885

About the black plates, do scratches easily show up on it?

With the silver panels I have on the O2, ODAC, and C5, there are definite signs of scratches from me missing the audio jacks when trying to put a cable in, ahaha.

post #1044 of 2885
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

About the black plates, do scratches easily show up on it?

With the silver panels I have on the O2, ODAC, and C5, there are definite signs of scratches from me missing the audio jacks when trying to put a cable in, ahaha.

 

Black is much more scratch resistant.

Reply
post #1045 of 2885
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue View Post

About the black plates, do scratches easily show up on it?

With the silver panels I have on the O2, ODAC, and C5, there are definite signs of scratches from me missing the audio jacks when trying to put a cable in, ahaha.

 

I'm not sure if I have the newest revision of anodizing, etc., but here is my black amp after a few months of use.  I use it every single day probably about 3-4 hours on average.  I don't see any "noticeable" scratches, but there are some small ones if you look at the right angle with the light.  Also, it seems to wear the most around the rounded edges.

 

Overall, I'd say it's reasonable wear for how much I use it.  I do try to care for it and placed four rubber sticky bumpers on both sides so nothing rubs it, but it does sit in a plastic container with some cables and adapters.  While it's fairly snug in the case, it's possible it's getting wear from rubbing the cables.  The scratches look worse in the photos because of the lighting though...

 

 

 

post #1046 of 2885
Quote:
Originally Posted by jseaber View Post

 

Black is much more scratch resistant.

Do you have any plan of making leather case for the C5? 

Something like those made by Headamp for their portable amp/DAC.

post #1047 of 2885
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhyar View Post

Do you have any plan of making leather case for the C5? 
Something like those made by Headamp for their portable amp/DAC.

"like" this idea too, got a few scratches on my red on frown.gif now its hiding in a portable charger's sleeve.
post #1048 of 2885

I brought mine on a flight to Hawaii.  Didn't run into any issues.  I've also brought my CMoyBB on a flight to Taiwan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdent View Post

I'm going to be flying from boston to dallas in July.  Does anyone know if I can bring my C5 on the plane with me? I would be really upset if they confiscated it at the gate or something.  I know it's just an amplifier, but would they know and allow it?  Anyone have any experience with this?

post #1049 of 2885

I fly with my C5 regularly. No problems.

 

I keep it in a case that is designed for laptop hard drives. Works well for me.
 

post #1050 of 2885
Quote:
Originally Posted by illusioned View Post


"like" this idea too, got a few scratches on my red on frown.gif now its hiding in a portable charger's sleeve.

 

The bright dipped finishes are much tougher, although no aluminum surface is 100% scratch resistant.

 

Cases and endplates are now available:

 

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC appreciation + discussion thread