Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › ALO audio New amp+DAC : "The International"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ALO audio New amp+DAC : "The International" - Page 9

post #121 of 173

Just got an email from Josh at ALO saying that the DAC on the International won't work with Android Smartphones or iPods.

post #122 of 173

I have my International working with my Nexus Galaxy and Nexus 7.

 

Get an OTG cable: http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Mini-B-Micro-B-Android-4-0-Above-OTG-cable-4-5-inches-iBasso-Audio-/111036655521?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhoneAccesories_MobilePhoneDataCables_JN&hash=item19da4ce7a1

 

Get USB Audio Recorder Pro: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudiorecorderpro&hl=en

 

This setup can play all my flac hd audio.

 

 

 

 

post #123 of 173

One weird thing though is the usb cable that comes with the International doesn't work with my MBP. I had ALO send me another one and that one doesn't work either. I had to use one I found around the house which is about 3ft long and that one worked fine.

post #124 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrietywarrior View Post

I have my International working with my Nexus Galaxy and Nexus 7.

Get an OTG cable: http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Mini-B-Micro-B-Android-4-0-Above-OTG-cable-4-5-inches-iBasso-Audio-/111036655521?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhoneAccesories_MobilePhoneDataCables_JN&hash=item19da4ce7a1

Get USB Audio Recorder Pro: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudiorecorderpro&hl=en

This setup can play all my flac hd audio.










Looking sweet!
post #125 of 173

I appreciate this is probably a stupid question, but do most people use the DAC on this, when listening via ipad/android (if they can get it to work!)...  Am interested in whether most use just the amp with their mobile + save the DAC for when used with laptops etc..

 

Appreciate, probably demonstrating my noob status, with this question!  Oh well, we've all got to start somewhere

 

J

post #126 of 173

I am hoping to use a DAC on my phone.  The HTC One X just sounds dull compared to my iPod 5G and the most likely culprit is a crappy DAC. 

post #127 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by julesjjl View Post

I appreciate this is probably a stupid question, but do most people use the DAC on this, when listening via ipad/android (if they can get it to work!)...  Am interested in whether most use just the amp with their mobile + save the DAC for when used with laptops etc..

 

Appreciate, probably demonstrating my noob status, with this question!  Oh well, we've all got to start somewhere

 

J

It'll depend on your use case really. If you want a mobile setup and can get a digital out from your device, this is a great product since it's small, light and has plenty of power. The DACs on idevices and android phones won't compare to the one in a dedicated high end audio device such as the International. If lets say you had the AK100 as your source which already has a good DAC, then probably you would consider an amp only device like the National, Rx MK3-B or the SR-71B.

post #128 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by julesjjl View Post

I appreciate this is probably a stupid question, but do most people use the DAC on this, when listening via ipad/android (if they can get it to work!)...  Am interested in whether most use just the amp with their mobile + save the DAC for when used with laptops etc..

 

Appreciate, probably demonstrating my noob status, with this question!  Oh well, we've all got to start somewhere

 

J

 

I used the ALO International in a lot of ways, DAC/AMP on laptop, DAC/AMP on iPad, or just the Amp withipad and iPhone when I want to conserve the battery or use my mini2mini.

 

I do not currently own an Android device but I tested it on my friend's Sony Xperia Z and it did not work, so what he did was that he used his Pico DAC on USB OTG and then connect to the International. Double amping them is never an option and XZ has no Line Out.

post #129 of 173
At balanced out put > Can it use with adapter for single-end headphone? (mini balanced to 3.5mm female adapter)
post #130 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komkrit View Post

At balanced out put > Can it use with adapter for single-end headphone? (mini balanced to 3.5mm female adapter)

Why not use the single end output?
Same results
post #131 of 173
Thank you.
Because I use that adapter with the Protector
I feel it has better sound than original single end out put.
post #132 of 173

Can someone compare the amp section to the SR-71A?

I wonder how the two differ

 

thx
 

post #133 of 173

international has an output impedance of 22ohms....

 

it was a poor match for my various IEMs ranging in impedance from 8 to 26 ohms...boomy, bloated bottom end, and sizzling highs in varying degrees with the IEMs...no comparison to my SR-71b...

 

i sold it...absolutely no regrets...well i actually regret buying it....

 

i've heard it does perform well with f/s headphones with higher impedances...YMMV

post #134 of 173

I would like to hear more impressions of the International with high end IEMs. The above posters findings are discouraging :(

post #135 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskwerl View Post

I would like to hear more impressions of the International with high end IEMs. The above posters findings are discouraging :(

 

It seems you own an International in your sign? By the way, my impression about this amp is: powerful and impact bass, fast decay, great PRaT...would be good for fast pace music. I would recommend the Continental V3 for slow pace music such as vocal, ballard, etc. for deeper bass, slow decay and silky vocal.

 

*Hiss: dead silence background when pairing with Audeze LCD3, Denon D5K (fullsize) and Earsonics SM64 (high impedance iem)

 

Now this is a strange thing: when pairing with my JH16 (low impedance iem): hiss occurs in LOW gain (acceptable level to me) but it reduces in MID gain and disappear in HIGH gain. That is totally strange to me. Anyone owning an International: could you please help me to verify or explain this?

 

So now, I am using the high gain when pairing with my JH16 :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › ALO audio New amp+DAC : "The International"