Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Sonic Satori - HRT Levels the Field with the MicroStreamer
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sonic Satori - HRT Levels the Field with the MicroStreamer - Page 57

post #841 of 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcans View Post


It's the short one that comes in this set. And yes, Apple CCK.

 

Do you hear any difference between this cable and the stock usb one?

I'm now using a Lindy premium gold cable with my uS, which I find a bit harsh. I also quickly a/b tested it against another shortest cable lying around: although being skeptical, I found the latter quieter than the lindy with the iMac volume and the played track being the very same.

post #842 of 1052

Friends don't let friends buy expensive USB cables.

post #843 of 1052

What about USB A - B mini adapter? Did anyone try this instead of a cable?

 

Something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-A-to-Mini-B-5-Pin-Data-Cable-Adapter-Male-M-MP3-DC-/280494538522?

post #844 of 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by phobos04 View Post

Have you ever tried to pair the uS line out with the E12? I was a bit curious about pairing them.

I actually run the MS to e12 daily at work. Powers my HD700s. I did, the other week, pipe them both through my fiio hs2 audio switcher to compare the MS amp with the MS lineout to e12. After about 10 minutes back and forth, I sadly could not tell the difference. I use the E12 anyways for its bass boost, and because it is probably technically superior.

I'll try to take the time to do more comparisons between my e18, MS, and both of them through the e12. I'll post my thoughts for anyone who cares.
Disclaimer:I started my headfi experience in august of 2013, and per website testing of blind a/b, I can't hear the difference between a full range signal and one that stops at 14khz. So 14khz and up is useless to me I suppose.

EDIT: I forgot the MAIN reason I bought the E12: for an analog volume control. When I use my Galaxy Note 3 with my HRT mS, the digitally controlled analog attenuation does not work. the amp in the mS is simply set to 100%, leaving me to reduce the DIGITAL signal (resulting in bit loss). The only program that does work with the DCAA is USB Audio Player Pro, but this does not give me access to all my Google Music subscription. So since I cannot handle the mS at full volume, I must line it out to the E12 to adjust volumes. And again, the E12 bass boost is welcoming to my ears.
Edited by kayza - 2/6/14 at 8:02pm
post #845 of 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayza View Post


I actually run the MS to e12 daily at work. Powers my HD700s. I did, the other week, pipe them both through my fiio hs2 audio switcher to compare the MS amp with the MS lineout to e12. After about 10 minutes back and forth, I sadly could not tell the difference. I use the E12 anyways for its bass boost, and because it is probably technically superior.

 

I've wondered about the amps in these microStreamer like devices.  They seem to be just op-amps that may not do more than adjust the line level from that which the DAC puts out and that which the headphones want to receive. I don't claim to understand this stuff but since line level is usually louder than I care to listen to on my 50 Ohm cans, there doesn't seem to be that much amping that needs to be done.

post #846 of 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by threegr View Post

What about USB A - B mini adapter?
Never tried one, although I prefer a small cable because in my opinion it causes lesa stress on the connectors while retaining higher flexibility (in the mechanical meaning of the word).
post #847 of 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesC View Post
 

I'm very tempted to try the line out with the Vali.  If I were to get the Asgard II it would only be a matter of days before I convinced myself I need better headphones. This is very dangerous stuff.

 

I wonder - is the line out on the microStreamer is in the same ball park as the Modi?

So I compared the Modi with the microStreamer using my Senn HD700s, and I could not tell any differences. If I were forced to note a difference, I'd say the microStreamer is just barely, ever so barely brighter. I do not think I would be able to pick them apart being blind tested. In fact, sometimes I switched my switch the wrong way, thinking I was on input 2 (Modi->FiiO E12) instead of input 1 (mS built-in amp), so that sort of tells it all.

 

I did this comparison using 320k mp3s of alt. rock music. This may be a disqualifying method for you, but I unfortunately cannot install foobar on my work PC, so I was left with accessing my Google Play Music collection from both computers. Also, another disqualifyer is that I used two separate computers. So ya, if you are on the boat that believe one computer's 1's and 0's are different from another's 1's and 0's, then that also disqualifies it. But at the same time, with all these variables, I am saying I notice no difference. Perhaps I needed higher quality music.

 

So next, I played back in foobar2k a 24bit-88.2k album on my home PC of John Mayer - Room For Squares to the microstreamer (built-in amp), and played my 320k mp3 copy on my work computer (Modi->FiiO E12). Also, sadly, I could not tell a difference once again.

 

So thank you for requesting this. I finally took some time to sit down and compare things, and have discovered that I dont need anything higher than 320k mp3 for the dominant type of music I listen to. I also know that I can sell my Modi!!

 

Note: If you want me to compare with some songs of your choice, send me a PM. I have a Google Play Music All Access subscription, so I have access to gobs of music. 320k mp3 though. Let me know. Hope I helped.

post #848 of 1052

Nice and honest thoughts, thank you for sharing them :)

 

I'm looking forward to receiving the momentums, so I can compare them against my hd25s paired with the uS.

post #849 of 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by phobos04 View Post

Nice and honest thoughts, thank you for sharing them smily_headphones1.gif

I'm looking forward to receiving the momentums, so I can compare them against my hd25s paired with the uS.

I don't have your particular headphone models, but I am able to tell instant differences between headphones. So I know my ears aren't losing it. But comparing 1 economy dac to another, my ears don't care. So I think for me, my new route may be to get rid of all but the microstreamer in terms of dacs/amps, then maybe buy a $500+ portable dac/amp and see if I notice a difference there. If not, sell it off, cut my losses, and know that my $160 mS is endgame for the budget I allow myself. Gives me more money for car audio components then! smily_headphones1.gif
post #850 of 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayza View Post

So I compared the Modi with the microStreamer ........

Thank you for doing this. It is helpful to me. I have no interest in spending any money, even $100, where I've got to try real hard to tell a difference. If it's not going to blow me away then I don't want it. Still might spring for the Vali at some point just to get a feel for the tube sound. Again, great comparison.
post #851 of 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayza View Post


I don't have your particular headphone models, but I am able to tell instant differences between headphones. So I know my ears aren't losing it. 

I have already auditioned the momentums twice, but always paired with an iPod touch. They actually do sound quite different than the HD25s, so I'm curious about is how they pair with the uS, which sound I tend to like with both the HD25s and the yamaha eph-100. 

To be honest, I was kind of a bit surprised to hear different sound from the uS with different usb cables, although that differences were more related to the audio volume than to SQ itself. I think I'll further dig into USB cables (mainly for portability reasons at this point), although I'm still skeptical about spending 70-100€/$ for a 10-20cm usb cable.

post #852 of 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by phobos04 View Post

I have already auditioned the momentums twice, but always paired with an iPod touch. They actually do sound quite different than the HD25s, so I'm curious about is how they pair with the uS, which sound I tend to like with both the HD25s and the yamaha eph-100. 
To be honest, I was kind of a bit surprised to hear different sound from the uS with different usb cables, although that differences were more related to the audio volume than to SQ itself. I think I'll further dig into USB cables (mainly for portability reasons at this point), although I'm still skeptical about spending 70-100€/$ for a 10-20cm usb cable.

Re: the usb cables - if the volumes are different then maybe one is doing a better job delivering power from the source.
post #853 of 1052

Thank you for your explanation, I never seriously thought about that, but it makes sense to me.

 

So, are you guys using any particular usb cable with the uS? I'd like to replace the 0.5m Lindy one with a shorter (10-20cm) and more flexible one.

I was considering a ForzaAudioWorks cable, given some very positive reviews I came across, but it's still 70 euros.

post #854 of 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by phobos04 View Post
 

Thank you for your explanation, I never seriously thought about that, but it makes sense to me.

 

So, are you guys using any particular usb cable with the uS? I'd like to replace the 0.5m Lindy one with a shorter (10-20cm) and more flexible one.

I was considering a ForzaAudioWorks cable, given some very positive reviews I came across, but it's still 70 euros.


It was more speculation than explanation.  I did pose the question to the smart guys over on the Sound Science forum:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/704441/about-those-expensive-usb-cables

post #855 of 1052
Those smart guys aren't so smart since I'm hearing clear differences between USB cables. And I was a cable skeptic for a very long time.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Sonic Satori - HRT Levels the Field with the MicroStreamer