or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Sonic Satori - HRT Levels the Field with the MicroStreamer
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sonic Satori - HRT Levels the Field with the MicroStreamer - Page 48

post #706 of 1201
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by citraian View Post
 

So glad you're excited about this :) A short description on how they behave on the MS when compared with the M8 would be nice too :)

now you're talking!

I've used them w/ my HiFi-M8 often, so I'll have a fantastic reference point for this!

 

However - I must admit up-front:

 

The CEntrance HiFi-M8 has a HUGE advantage over the microStreamer here:

In terms of power, and low noisefloor (though the MS is also very quiet, the M8,

when running on battery, is dead silent, IMO, especially with over-ear cans

that require a bit of juice).

It's like putting my E.A.R HP4 up against my ALO International (both are KILLER 

musically) - but one just out-slams, and out-classes the other, and it should!!

 

However, I'm totally down to do this! After all, I'm SO pumped to see this thread still 

going strong!!

post #707 of 1201

Hello again.  Anyone have an opinion about how well the microStreamer will drive the HD-650s?

post #708 of 1201
And Beyer T90?
post #709 of 1201
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesC View Post
 

Hello again.  Anyone have an opinion about how well the microStreamer will drive the HD-650s?


Never mind.  I decided to go with the HD-598s. Don't need expensive headphones that will make me want expensive (and less mobile) amps.

post #710 of 1201
I've had both and the 598 is a better match IMO, it's noticeably easier to drive. I will say that its a pretty bass-light combo, but also incredibly musical and fun as long as your definition of "fun" doesn't include deep, punchy bass; they are both fairly soft in their presentation, and the 598's extension is limited.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesC View Post


Never mind.  I decided to go with the HD-598s. Don't need expensive headphones that will make me want expensive (and less mobile) amps.

Edited by Gilly87 - 12/18/13 at 2:30pm
post #711 of 1201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly87 View Post

I will say that its a pretty bass-light combo, but also incredibly musical and fun as long as your definition of "fun" doesn't include deep, punchy bass......

 

Yeah, I figure any medium priced open headphones running on a USB powered amp is gonna be kind of light on bass. Still, I've got to give the open back thing a try. My 448s have bass to spare for me.  If the 598 has a bit less but it's better defined I think I'll be OK. Guess I'll find out.

post #712 of 1201
Hmmm...better texture, yeah, but a smidge softer. If the 448s have plenty then you will probably enjoy the combo. Very spacious, enveloping, and warm combo with great sparkle. Enjoy :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesC View Post

Yeah, I figure any medium priced open headphones running on a USB powered amp is gonna be kind of light on bass. Still, I've got to give the open back thing a try. My 448s have bass to spare for me.  If the 598 has a bit less but it's better defined I think I'll be OK. Guess I'll find out.
post #713 of 1201
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesC View Post
 

 

Yeah, I figure any medium priced open headphones running on a USB powered amp is gonna be kind of light on bass. Still, I've got to give the open back thing a try. My 448s have bass to spare for me.  If the 598 has a bit less but it's better defined I think I'll be OK. Guess I'll find out.

I enjoy my @mrspeakers Mad Dogs w/ the microStreamer!

and it doesn't sound "bass-light" to me. I'd call it what Kevin Halverson calls it - more "refined" bass.

The dynamic punch is there, but admittedly there could always be more of course!

 

But I'd recommend that pairing easily to anybody.

 

As for the 650's - I don't own a pair, but I tried a friend 600's (I believe they were 600's, are there 600's??

- SO many model numbers to remember) and they seemed light in the bass for sure w/ the microStreamer.

But I put that down to poor component synergy.

post #714 of 1201
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemercer View Post
 

I enjoy my @mrspeakers Mad Dogs w/ the microStreamer!

and it doesn't sound "bass-light" to me. I'd call it what Kevin Halverson calls it - more "refined" bass.

The dynamic punch is there, but admittedly there could always be more of course!

 

But I'd recommend that pairing easily to anybody.

 

Mike, According to Mr. Speakers website, the Mad Dogs are closed.  The point of my conjecture is that with USB powered amps, if you want powerful bass you should stick to closed cans. This is the current opinion of one who hasn't actually listened to that many headphones.

post #715 of 1201

Yeah my 650s sounded too soft straight out of the uS. The MS HD, on the other hand... o_o

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemercer View Post
 

I enjoy my @mrspeakers Mad Dogs w/ the microStreamer!

and it doesn't sound "bass-light" to me. I'd call it what Kevin Halverson calls it - more "refined" bass.

The dynamic punch is there, but admittedly there could always be more of course!

 

But I'd recommend that pairing easily to anybody.

 

As for the 650's - I don't own a pair, but I tried a friend 600's (I believe they were 600's, are there 600's??

- SO many model numbers to remember) and they seemed light in the bass for sure w/ the microStreamer.

But I put that down to poor component synergy.

post #716 of 1201
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesC View Post
 

 

Mike, According to Mr. Speakers website, the Mad Dogs are closed.  The point of my conjecture is that with USB powered amps, if you want powerful bass you should stick to closed cans. This is the current opinion of one who hasn't actually listened to that many headphones.

OH - 

 

Not necessarily though, and the fact that any amp is USB powered shouldn't matter much...

Its the output, the amp section, its power, damping, and how the circuit deals with separating the noise from the signal path.

 

You can actually, in many cases, get better bass response from open cans!

I know this may fly in the face of how you might see it now - and I TOTALLY GET THAT.

So I'm NOT shooting you down.

 

But put it this way - the fact that the MS even drives my Audeze LCD-3's to a dB level that feels realistic, not to mention the detail retrieval 

and imaging, wow! Now - I'm not saying the MS is the perfect mate for the Audeze LCD-3 - but when I reviewed the MS

I HAD to point out that this lil brick could drive those phones well enough for me to take the MS and LCD-3's to Hawaii w/ me on vacation!!

I needed to show something - that no matter what powers an amp, USB, AC, it's how things are executed that matters.

 

And when it comes to bass. Ask my good friend and mod here @warrenpchi  - and others, you can often find bass just as deep, if not deeper

through open cans! And YES the Mad Dogs are closed! They were the first closed orthodynamic headphone I heard and loved, because it sounded closer

to my Audeze LCD-3! But they also gave my wife some peace and quiet (I write/work from home).

 

So all I'm saying is don't rush to generalize, like with USB powered DAC/amps.

The Light Harmonic GEEK puts out a clean watt and it BLEW US AWAY at RMAF!!

Driving my LCD-3's, playing Nirvana's "Come as You Are"!!

 

That MAY be the one that unseats the MS for me. It's the strongest contender!!

 

but for now I'm still blown away at the microStreamers sonic capabilities...

post #717 of 1201
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemercer View Post
 

OH - 

 

 

I don't feel shot down.  I enjoy learning about this stuff.  Thanks for taking the time.

post #718 of 1201

Oh man, I knew I should've jumped on the early boat with this one...whats the MSRP going to be like?

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemercer View Post
 

OH - 

 

Not necessarily though, and the fact that any amp is USB powered shouldn't matter much...

Its the output, the amp section, its power, damping, and how the circuit deals with separating the noise from the signal path.

 

You can actually, in many cases, get better bass response from open cans!

I know this may fly in the face of how you might see it now - and I TOTALLY GET THAT.

So I'm NOT shooting you down.

 

But put it this way - the fact that the MS even drives my Audeze LCD-3's to a dB level that feels realistic, not to mention the detail retrieval 

and imaging, wow! Now - I'm not saying the MS is the perfect mate for the Audeze LCD-3 - but when I reviewed the MS

I HAD to point out that this lil brick could drive those phones well enough for me to take the MS and LCD-3's to Hawaii w/ me on vacation!!

I needed to show something - that no matter what powers an amp, USB, AC, it's how things are executed that matters.

 

And when it comes to bass. Ask my good friend and mod here @warrenpchi  - and others, you can often find bass just as deep, if not deeper

through open cans! And YES the Mad Dogs are closed! They were the first closed orthodynamic headphone I heard and loved, because it sounded closer

to my Audeze LCD-3! But they also gave my wife some peace and quiet (I write/work from home).

 

So all I'm saying is don't rush to generalize, like with USB powered DAC/amps.

The Light Harmonic GEEK puts out a clean watt and it BLEW US AWAY at RMAF!!

Driving my LCD-3's, playing Nirvana's "Come as You Are"!!

 

That MAY be the one that unseats the MS for me. It's the strongest contender!!

 

but for now I'm still blown away at the microStreamers sonic capabilities...

post #719 of 1201

believe its $200-300 depending on model

post #720 of 1201
OK whew...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshinhimura View Post

believe its $200-300 depending on model
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Sonic Satori - HRT Levels the Field with the MicroStreamer