Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Sonic Satori - HRT Levels the Field with the MicroStreamer
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sonic Satori - HRT Levels the Field with the MicroStreamer - Page 22

post #316 of 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrett View Post

I'm not sure if I asked this before, but where is the microStreamer supposed to fall in terms of sound quality?

 

Music Stream II+ > microStreamer > Music Streamer II

 

?


i've had all 3, and for me, its right in the middle

i gave the edge to the micro over the msii mostly because i felt it had a little more pace, rhythm

the main thing i noticed about the msii+ vs the other two, was the soundstage was bigger.

i think i actually said "wow, this sounds bigger" it  seemed that what i liked in the micro

and the msii just got magnified,

post #317 of 1007

The Microstreamer works flawlessly for me on my Mac but it is really flaky with Windows 8, foobar and WASAPI.

Not really sure how to fix it except for dropping back to Directsound, but not sure if it is bit-perfect. Clicks, pops and distortion are pretty apparent on 24/96 files.

 

my other DACs with XMOS controllers and wolfson chips don't exhibit this problem.

post #318 of 1007
FWIW, this is how Kevin replied me regarding the FW update and I hope Kevin won't mind me sharing this very useful info with fellow MS users:

"The difference between the NAS and normal version is which level of performance host (computer) the device (Streamer) is optimized for.

Most firmware releases are to address specific problems with certain hosts. A few generations add features or additional host compatibility.

Kevin Halverson
CTO
High Resolution Technologies, LLC"
post #319 of 1007

Thank you, Mattwardfh!

post #320 of 1007

Sorry didn't read the whole thread.  How does this compare to the Streamer II?  I know from experience the Streamer II was warm and very analogue like with wide soundstage.

How does this compare?  

 

thanks

post #321 of 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoble View Post

Thank you, Mattwardfh!

Glad to help. I think it'll be pretty obvious to you; if there are any discrepancies it's due to my faulty memory and you can probably figure them out. 

post #322 of 1007

For those using the Microstreamer with an android phone, does it affect the battery life a lot?

post #323 of 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by sling5s View Post

Sorry didn't read the whole thread.  How does this compare to the Streamer II?  I know from experience the Streamer II was warm and very analogue like with wide soundstage.

How does this compare?  

 

thanks

 

As I said earlier, I havent plugged my MSII back in since I got my microStreamer around a month or so ago - I believe the smaller DAC to be a better product in every respect AS A DAC. I have made my concerns clear re the digital volume control on the headphone amp - nuff said. 

post #324 of 1007

To anyone who owns this - did it eliminate noise from your computer's output? My amp (Bryston B60) picks up a whirly noise from the computer and it gets louder the more I turn up the volume; I wouldn't call it a hum though. One of my reasons for getting the microStreamer is to eliminate this noise (currently on an EMU 0404 PCI). I noticed the MSII has galvanic isolation which is not advertised on the microStreamer page.


Edited by jarrett - 8/10/13 at 3:18pm
post #325 of 1007

Mine has an almost perfectly black background coming from my cheap HP laptop. Very impressive, much clearer than the two budget DACs I owned before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrett View Post

To anyone who owns this - did it eliminate noise from your computer's output? My amp (Bryston B60) picks up a whirly noise from the computer and it gets louder the more I turn up the volume; I wouldn't call it a hum though. One of my reasons for getting the microStreamer is to eliminate this noise (currently on an EMU 0404 PCI). I noticed the MSII has galvanic isolation which is not advertised on the microStreamer page.

post #326 of 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrile View Post

 

its a Burr Brown PCM1793 DAC.

 

http://www.ti.com/product/pcm1793

 

That is a 24/192 DAC chip.   So why exactly is the microstreamer limited to 24/96?

Is that just a software/driver limitation that will be corrected at some point?

 

In any case the uS is a wonderful device, I really didn't expect it to be so good

post #327 of 1007

I believe it's limited by the USB speed. microStreamer transfers at USB 1.0

 

@Gilly87 - Thanks! I hope to not have to look into a USB isolator

post #328 of 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrett View Post

I believe it's limited by the USB speed. microStreamer transfers at USB 1.0

 

The USB driver is indeed Class 1 and cannot do more than 24/96 ... but the hardware itself could very well be capable of 24/192 with a proper USB Class 2 driver. 

Does anyone know what USB chip is used? That low-res pic is not exactly readable

post #329 of 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrett View Post

To anyone who owns this - did it eliminate noise from your computer's output? My amp (Bryston B60) picks up a whirly noise from the computer and it gets louder the more I turn up the volume; I wouldn't call it a hum though. One of my reasons for getting the microStreamer is to eliminate this noise (currently on an EMU 0404 PCI). I noticed the MSII has galvanic isolation which is not advertised on the microStreamer page.

 

Mine has intermittently done this. I think, in my case, it was a grounding issue, as it resolved when I grounded the case. This has only happened to me a couple of times on my pc and has not recurred recently despite a fair bit of use. It has never happened when plugged into my MBP. If you continue to have this noise, contact HRT support.

post #330 of 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by prot View Post

 

That is a 24/192 DAC chip.   So why exactly is the microstreamer limited to 24/96?

Is that just a software/driver limitation that will be corrected at some point?

 

In any case the uS is a wonderful device, I really didn't expect it to be so good

A custom driver is needed for 24/192, so keeping it 24/96 makes it simpler and cheaper to produce, and easier to support.  For something with the intended use scenarios as the Microstreamer, I think it was a smart decision.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Sonic Satori - HRT Levels the Field with the MicroStreamer