Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Sonic Satori - HRT Levels the Field with the MicroStreamer
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sonic Satori - HRT Levels the Field with the MicroStreamer - Page 21

post #301 of 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrett View Post

This DAC needs more threads! It must just be very new - even the Dragonfly and Meridian threads are quite alive

 

 

More threads ? The reason we centralise everything into one thread on HF is because it just gets messy when you have threads sprouting all over the place - particularly with gadgets that span the DAC/computer audio/headamp subforums. I'm happy with this one thread, and there are only so many ways that you can type 'this thing ROCKS !', and Mike 'Madman' Mercer pretty much beat us to it   ;)

post #302 of 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrett View Post

This thread needs more posts!  The microStreamer must just be very new - even the Dragonfly and Meridian threads are quite alive

Fixed.  :)

post #303 of 986

Yeah, more discussion tongue_smile.gif such as...why does the microstreamer sound so amazing? Has anyone figured out what DAC it uses?

 

I'm going to order mine from Audio Excellence

 

Edit: I emailed HRT to ask my question about the DAC used. I've not been able to find the answer and have looked multiple times


Edited by jarrett - 8/5/13 at 7:58pm
post #304 of 986

Im about to get mine soon also

looking forward to it, as I've been using my iphone4 for quite a while

post #305 of 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrett View Post

Yeah, more discussion tongue_smile.gif such as...why does the microstreamer sound so amazing? Has anyone figured out what DAC it uses?

 

I'm going to order mine from Audio Excellence

 

Edit: I emailed HRT to ask my question about the DAC used. I've not been able to find the answer and have looked multiple times

 

its a Burr Brown PCM1793 DAC.

 

http://www.ti.com/product/pcm1793

post #306 of 986

How do you know though? Isn't that what the Music Streamer II uses?

 

Edit: Oh that's the microstreamer circuit


Edited by jarrett - 8/6/13 at 12:33pm
post #307 of 986
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrett View Post

How do you know though? Isn't that what the Music Streamer II uses?

 

Edit: Oh that's the microstreamer circuit

most HRT products are based around XMOS chips,

but the DAC itself is just a part of the whole:

 

Implementation is everything.

 

I'm still blown away by this little gem,

and I rock everything from my E.A.R HP4 tube headphone amp to the ALO Studio Six!

 

The MS got MAGIC

post #308 of 986
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by estreeter View Post

 

 

More threads ? The reason we centralise everything into one thread on HF is because it just gets messy when you have threads sprouting all over the place - particularly with gadgets that span the DAC/computer audio/headamp subforums. I'm happy with this one thread, and there are only so many ways that you can type 'this thing ROCKS !', and Mike 'Madman' Mercer pretty much beat us to it   ;)

WELL PLAYED SIR, well played

post #309 of 986

I like to keep you on your toes, Mike - I think that's important in your line of work   biggrin.gif

post #310 of 986

Help! I downloaded the new MS firmware. How exactly do I update the unit and which of the two files - uS_IV2.bin, uS(NAS)_IV2.bin - (or both) do I use? I have a Mac.

 

PS: I'm using the MS with RE-400's with just 256bit AAC iTunes files, and the results are still astonishing to my ear. Bravo to Kevin Halverson (and to Dr. Fan Blan of Hifiman). I compared the Dragonfly and Explorer and found in particular the Dragonfly to be rather brittle and fatiguing by comparison. The microStreamer is exquisitely musical. I'm currently listening to Diane Walsh: '33 Variations on a Waltz of Diabelli' - extremely well mic'ed and recorded solo piano. Shockingly good. Sublime. Even compressed. No doubt there  are many further miles to travel down this audio enthusiast road but I reckon that for less than $300 (plus my MacBook Air) I have already entered the Pearly Gates!

post #311 of 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoble View Post

Help! I downloaded the new MS firmware. How exactly do I update the unit and which of the two files - uS_IV2.bin, uS(NAS)_IV2.bin - (or both) do I use? I have a Mac.

Unfortunately, you'll need access to a PC to run the firmware upgrade utility. 

post #312 of 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoble View Post

Help! I downloaded the new MS firmware. How exactly do I update the unit and which of the two files - uS_IV2.bin, uS(NAS)_IV2.bin - (or both) do I use? I have a Mac.

 

PS: I'm using the MS with RE-400's with just 256bit AAC iTunes files, and the results are still astonishing to my ear. Bravo to Kevin Halverson (and to Dr. Fan Blan of Hifiman). I compared the Dragonfly and Explorer and found in particular the Dragonfly to be rather brittle and fatiguing by comparison. The microStreamer is exquisitely musical. I'm currently listening to Diane Walsh: '33 Variations on a Waltz of Diabelli' - extremely well mic'ed and recorded solo piano. Shockingly good. Sublime. Even compressed. No doubt there  are many further miles to travel down this audio enthusiast road but I reckon that for less than $300 (plus my MacBook Air) I have already entered the Pearly Gates!

The RE-400s and the MS play extremely well together! I need to use that combo again very soon!

post #313 of 986

Not a problem. Any instructions would be appreciated. 

post #314 of 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoble View Post

Not a problem. Any instructions would be appreciated. 

I wish I had taken some notes to be able to tell you exactly, but it's a fairly simple process. (Others on this thread should feel free to correct any errors).

if I recall correctly, the firmware update utility isn't included in the firmware download and has to be downloaded separately from HRT's support page.

Run this program on a Windows PC with the microStreamer connected. There's a button to pick the firmware file. The firmware with "NAS" in the file name is for use with network-attached storage devices. If you're not connecting to one of those devices, you want the non-NAS version. Select that, click the button to install the firmware, and then wait until the process is finished before disconnecting the device. You can use Apple's System Information app to verify the firmware version.

Hope that helps; let me know if something's unclear.
post #315 of 986

I'm not sure if I asked this before, but where is the microStreamer supposed to fall in terms of sound quality?

 

Music Stream II+ > microStreamer > Music Streamer II

 

?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Sonic Satori - HRT Levels the Field with the MicroStreamer