Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Sonic Satori - HRT Levels the Field with the MicroStreamer
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sonic Satori - HRT Levels the Field with the MicroStreamer - Page 10

post #136 of 977

^  Yes.  Same here.

post #137 of 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemercer View Post

I know, its sounds CRAZY.  I was the biggest skeptic about USB cables (and I've only heard a differences a handful of times - this being one).

BUT - the USB cable that comes with the microStreamer is BETTER THAN MOST - and works perfectly fine!

 

Kevin knows what he's doing there too.

And I'm also psyched to say that Kevin is one of the few engineers that says certain USB cables will make a difference (but strictly 

because of proper grounding - thus lowering a noisefloor)

Because it is crazy. There's a USB specification for a reason.

 

The cable included costs probably $2 and I see no reason why a short USB 2.0 certified cable should cost a lot more than that.

post #138 of 977

I know the there was a difference between the USB cable that came with my FIIO E07K and the one that came with the microStreamer. Cable length and gauge probably accounts for that and possibly the ferrite ring. I am kind of skeptical about higher dollar USB cables, even in my in room rig I use good quality but not really expensive cables for speaker and interconnects. They are from blue jean cables and I do recommend that level of cabling at least.  All that being said I actually plan on buying the Blue Dragon usb cable and 1/8 " to rca cable. I will see if I can hear any differences and report back.

post #139 of 977

I wouldn't invest more than 5 - 10% of your total budget in cables. That is if cables cost $100 the total budget should be $1000 - $2000. If you use the microstreamer I doubt you have that kind of budget.

Some say cables squeeze out the last 1%, others reject the claim that expensive cables sound better altogether. And that is analog cables, not digital where the evidence is as solid as anecdotes of bigfoot sightings.

In other words, don't waste your money.

post #140 of 977
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnor View Post

I wouldn't invest more than 5 - 10% of your total budget in cables. That is if cables cost $100 the total budget should be $1000 - $2000. If you use the microstreamer I doubt you have that kind of budget.

Some say cables squeeze out the last 1%, others reject the claim that expensive cables sound better altogether. And that is analog cables, not digital where the evidence is as solid as anecdotes of bigfoot sightings.

In other words, don't waste your money.

Sure.

If you can't afford anything like this, if it puts you out in any way, the HRT microStreamer comes w/ a cable that works really well.

Cables are just another components - some people like them, some don't.

 

I'm sorry to steer the focus off the microStreamer!

which is why we're here!  I'm still LOVIN' it!!

post #141 of 977
Thread Starter 

Hey Everybody,

 

First and foremost, I wanted to say THANK YOU FOR KEEPING THIS THREAD ALIVE!

 

I LOVE the microStreamer, and I'm proud of the work I did with the HRT team years ago.

I went to work for them after I reviewed the original Music Streamer (and of course couldn't 

write about the gear while I worked there).

 

Many of you have PM'd me about reviewing the Music Streamer HD.  I thought I was going

to get one, but my editor was recently told that their US distributor, Elite A/V Distribution, will

not send one to me.

 

This took me by complete surprise!  Especially considering my microStreamer review (the 

kickstarter to this thread) and the reviews I've written in the past!

 

They said that they thought it would be a "conflict of interest", considering my history with 

the company!  But meanwhile my microStreamer review is posted on the HRT website, and

they even used a quote from the review!

 

I would love to review the Music Streamer HD.  I know HRT products well, as I was a fan of Kevin 

Halverson before I worked for him.  I love Muse Electronics (his former line)!!  I still wish to support

Kevin and his efforts today - but the distributor has now formed a wedge there.

 

I consulted with a fellow Head-fier about this issue.  

 

If you would like me to review the HRT Music Streamer HD:

 

I started a new thread: HERE IT IS

 

If you guys send him an email requesting that I review the product 

- I will BUY IT TO REVIEW IT FOR YOU.

 

I posted the email in the new thread.

 

I don't want to let anybody down, and to be brutally honest, I was really hurt when they tried to shut

me out.  I'm just trying to keep doing what I'm doing!  I've never shied away from saying in public that

I worked for HRT and CEntrance!  I'm proud of the work I did for both.

 

Other thread to be posted ASAP.

 

Thoughts on this idea????


Edited by mikemercer - 6/16/13 at 10:29am
post #142 of 977

I think it's a great idea and I support you 100%

post #143 of 977
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by citraian View Post

I think it's a great idea and I support you 100%

THANKS SO MUCH!!

 

I hope the people viewing the new thread feel like you do!!

I haven't had any feedback yet.

 

But I have received numerous offers from Head-Fiers via PM

saying they'd lend me the unit to review!

 

LOVE this community

post #144 of 977
Anyone heard the HD600 with this bad boy? I'm guessing if it did the LCD-3s justice I should be OK, but I don't plan on buying an amp and want to be sure my micro streamer will be enough for the HD600 before I buy them.
Edited by Gilly87 - 6/18/13 at 10:28am
post #145 of 977
Yeah they told me I'd be getting a review sample too, but have been silent on emails for about a month now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemercer View Post

Hey Everybody,

First and foremost, I wanted to say THANK YOU FOR KEEPING THIS THREAD ALIVE!

I LOVE the microStreamer, and I'm proud of the work I did with the HRT team years ago.
I went to work for them after I reviewed the original Music Streamer (and of course couldn't 
write about the gear while I worked there).

Many of you have PM'd me about reviewing the Music Streamer HD.  I thought I was going
to get one, but my editor was recently told that their US distributor, Elite A/V Distribution, will
not send one to me.

This took me by complete surprise!  Especially considering my microStreamer review (the 
kickstarter to this thread) and the reviews I've written in the past!

They said that they thought it would be a "conflict of interest", considering my history with 
the company!  But meanwhile my microStreamer review is posted on the HRT website, and
they even used a quote from the review!

I would love to review the Music Streamer HD.  I know HRT products well, as I was a fan of Kevin 
Halverson before I worked for him.  I love Muse Electronics (his former line)!!  I still wish to support
Kevin and his efforts today - but the distributor has now formed a wedge there.

I consulted with a fellow Head-fier about this issue.  

If you would like me to review the HRT Music Streamer HD:

I started a new thread: HERE IT IS

If you guys send him an email requesting that I review the product
 

- I will
BUY IT TO REVIEW IT FOR YOU
.


I posted the email in the new thread.


I don't want to let anybody down, and to be brutally honest, I was really hurt when they tried to shut
me out.  I'm just trying to keep doing what I'm doing!  I've never shied away from saying in public that
I worked for HRT and CEntrance!  I'm proud of the work I did for both.

Other thread to be posted ASAP.

Thoughts on this idea????
post #146 of 977
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly87 View Post

Yeah they told me I'd be getting a review sample too, but have been silent on emails for about a month now.

any luck so far.

 

I wanted to also thank EVERYBODY who sent me a PM and offered to loan me a Music Streamer HD to review!!

 

I'm loving the Cardas Ear Speakers (IEMS) with the microStreamer

post #147 of 977
Mine is also a Monoprice.
post #148 of 977

Is the MicroStreamer supposed to sound better than the Music Streamer II? The Music Streamer II is a couple years older by now.

post #149 of 977
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrett View Post

Is the MicroStreamer supposed to sound better than the Music Streamer II? The Music Streamer II is a couple years older by now.

its really tough for me to compare those products as one is a straight-up USB DAC and the other a USB DAC/headphone amp.

 

I still rock my MS II though - I keep it for reference as I can't tell you how many multi-thousand dollar DACs it just destroys

in my system!

post #150 of 977
Thread Starter 

Has anybody else compared the microStreamer's line-out feeding a system (desktop or in-room) to the Dragonfly?

 

I'm eager to hear what others think.

 

The microStreamer, in my system (consisting of Burson Conductor as line-stage, Cary SLA-70 Signature tube amp,

and Nola Boxer speakers -all wired with Nordost Leif series - their entry-level) has far greater dynamic slam in the low end.

The bass was also more extended.

 

Both the Dragonfly and microStreamer has clean, coherent mids and highs, though the microStreamer sounded more

forward to me, less polite, which is how I like it.

 

Any others??

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Sonic Satori - HRT Levels the Field with the MicroStreamer