Some sad news. My beloved Zune 120gb finally kicked the bucket after being left out in the frigid Canadian winter for 24+ hours. While the Zune displays all 3575 songs, the album art is completely gone, and when I go to play any song I get an error "missing item" and none of the songs play. The Zune then begins to cycle through every single song, while failing to play any. I could probably do a factory reset and start the slow and painful process of uploading all of my music back to the device, but I'm very leery to do so. I'm afraid the damage is permanent and music will just start to disappear again (my Zune had already been showing signs of death prior to this incident). So now I am at a crossroads, and am seeking guidance from the Head-Fi community. This is where I'm at (in lovely point form):
- I just purchased a pair of Sennheiser Momentum's, and would like to drive them loud and proud. So if I do decide to get a new DAP, the focus is on sound quality and power to drive these cans at high volume. The Momentum's were designed with iPods and iPhones in mind, so their power consumption is relatively low. However, I did find with what little time I had them paired with my Zune, that I had to crank the Zune up another 2 notches (to max) to match the volume of my previous cans. I really do not want to use an external amp.
- I don't give two hoots about video. I own a Galaxy SIII, so it takes care of my videos. I don't want to use my GS3 as my DAP because I can barely get it to last a day as it is with no music on it. So I don't need something with a honking huge screen. If anything, it would be nice to get a DAP that has smaller dimensions than my Zune.
- One of my favorite things about my Zune was it's capacity. I loved never having to make room for new music. My entire music library was always at my fingertips. So a device with expandable memory is a must (or a really big hard drive).
- But my absolute favorite thing about my Zune was it's software. I welcome any criticism about the following statement: The Zune Software is light years ahead of iTunes.
- Which brings me to my biggest dilemma. I've been using this device and it's software for almost 5 years now. It's like second nature to me. I know change is inevitable, but I love my Zune experience so much that I am considering buying a 64gb Zune HD.
I've been scouring these forums for a little while now and have been looking at other avenues as well. The options I have in my head so far are Zune HD 64gb or a different DAP (have been very intrigued by Cowon's offerings). I'm hoping the good folks here can offer some insight, suggestion, and help point me in the right direction. Btw, this is my first post on these forums, so please excuse any unacceptable language/terms.