Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › In Need of Assistance Please!! OCD Has Kicked In & My Headphone Collection Is Getting Out of Control!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

In Need of Assistance Please!! OCD Has Kicked In & My Headphone Collection Is Getting Out of... - Page 2

post #16 of 45

Sell all the headphones and get 1-2 very good headphones?

post #17 of 45

Why are people recommending the big orthos when he's mostly into portable?

 

I would sell the Beats and Bose, you can do far better for the money there. Drop one of both of the P5's, and at least one of the M80's. I haven't heard the Zik or Klipsch so can't comment on those. I wasn't a fan of the M100; the M80 is better to my ear.

 

What is it about the sound signatures of the M80 that you like? What do you like/dislike about the HD25 and DT1350?

 

If you're looking for diversity, well you've got well balanced in the DT1350 and M80, and slightly V shaped in the HD25. You can get something bassy like an Ultrasone Pro750/900/HFi580 or maybe an Audio Technica Pro700mk2. Something open yet portable is the Senn PX100-ii which gives a nice taste of the Sennheiser sound (a bit darker) and is possibly one of the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. You can also look for an Audio Technica ESW9a which is somewhat lighter and airier in sound. All of these are easily driven with the amps you currently have. 

post #18 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

Sell all the headphones and get 1-2 very good headphones?

 

I won't be parting with my DT 1350, HD 25 ii & I have to keep 1 of the beats (a gift from relative).  I will also keep 1 P5 & 1 M80.  

Everything else I'm looking to either sell or give away.

 

I need portable cans because I'm never home.

post #19 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

Why are people recommending the big orthos when he's mostly into portable?

 

I would sell the Beats and Bose, you can do far better for the money there. Drop one of both of the P5's, and at least one of the M80's. I haven't heard the Zik or Klipsch so can't comment on those. I wasn't a fan of the M100; the M80 is better to my ear.

 

What is it about the sound signatures of the M80 that you like? What do you like/dislike about the HD25 and DT1350?

 

If you're looking for diversity, well you've got well balanced in the DT1350 and M80, and slightly V shaped in the HD25. You can get something bassy like an Ultrasone Pro750/900/HFi580 or maybe an Audio Technica Pro700mk2. Something open yet portable is the Senn PX100-ii which gives a nice taste of the Sennheiser sound (a bit darker) and is possibly one of the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. You can also look for an Audio Technica ESW9a which is somewhat lighter and airier in sound. All of these are easily driven with the amps you currently have. 

Thank you very much for your feedback!

 

I love my HD 25 & DT1350... I will definitely be keeping them.  

 

I am so new & a little overwhelmed to all the different cans out here that I need to research.

@ the moment, I was thinking of getting Grado RS2i, Sennheiser Momentum or PSB M4U 2 (maybe 2 of the 3).  

 

I have never listened to music from the 5 cans you suggested, however I will check them out!

 

Oh & I really appreciate you for noticing that I am a "portable can girl" ;)

 

I look forward to your reply to my question above..Best Regards,

post #20 of 45

The PX100-ii is pretty cheap and offers surprisingly strong bassy sound for an open back headphone, particularly one so tiny. An even cheaper "throwaway" would be the Koss KSC75 or the Porta Pros. I just mention these here as they are pretty commonly a budding head-fier's start into this dangerous hobby, and if you're just out there to sample different sounds, these budget ones are a good way to go. 

 

You can check my profile for a review of the HD25/DT1350 vs a few other cans. 

 

I have not heard the Grado RS2i, but I've heard most of the lower end line and in my experience all the Grados share a fairly similar sound. Start with the SR60 or 80 (you can find them used for quite cheap) and if the sound intrigues you, then consider moving up. However, the Grados are non-collapsing, fully open and leak a ton of sound, as well as provide no isolation. This makes them ill suited for portable use. The Senn PX100-ii is open as well, but doesn't leak as much and the portability is a plus. 

 

I haven't heard the Momentum or M4U2, so I can't help you out there. 

 

There are reviews for those two over at innerfidelity.com which you might find helpful. You can also browse over at headphone.com and look at the comparative headphone charts. While the graphs don't tell you everything, they do give a reasonable sense of what a headphone will sound like. The best thing though is always to listen to them yourself. Check the meet section of the forum and see if there are any gatherings near you. You're in NYC, there must be an active scene there. 

post #21 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyRocket View Post

Judging by your headphone collection, I think you'd love the Ultrasone Pro 900, the bass is great on those and they have a good following here at Head-Fi.

 

Thanks J.Rocket for the suggestion:

 

The next 5 days will be low key.  My intent is to check out the follow headphones as per everyone's suggestion:

 

Senn PX100- ii

Senn Momentum

Grado sr60, sr80 & rs2 i

Ultrasone pro 750/900

Mad Dog

HiFi 580

HE 500/400

Audio Technica Pro 700 mkii & ESW9A

 

I suspect that this going going to take longer than 5 days (provided I can find all of these) wish me luck ;)

 

I really would like to get into IEM's but either they work for you or they don't..

 

Be well & thanks again!

post #22 of 45

Still got the Hifimans on your list? They are not really portable :P

post #23 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

Still got the Hifimans on your list? They are not really portable :P

More like not being portable at all.

post #24 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLYFE01 View Post

I would appreciate anyone who can assist me with weeding out my headphone collection.

 

I currently own:

 

Beyer Dynamic DT 1350

Sennheiser HD 25 ii 

Parrot Zik

Beats By Dr Dre Pro (Detox Limited Edition)

Bose Q15

2  Beats By Dr Dre Studio (1 in white & 1 blk)

2  Bower & Wilkins P5 (1 Ivory & 1 blk)

2  V-Moda M80 (of course 1 blk & 1 white)

(I gather you see there's a pattern here smh)

Klipsch M40

 

I scored most of my headphones at great prices.  I own the E17 Amp which goes pretty well with some of the headphones I own. I was trying to be diverse in my selection but I don't think I did too well.  I now wish to buy V-Moda M100, PBS M4U 2 & possibly the Logitech UE6000.  

 

I would appreciate anyone who can assist me with weeding out this mess that I've created!!! 

 

Best Regards

The main ones I would say to get rid of is the bose's and the Beat's. Then for the rest give them a listen and pick the one you like and sell the rest. At-least you didn't have op-amp OCD like I did once and had a huge box filled of op-amps.

post #25 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

Still got the Hifimans on your list? They are not really portable :P

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

More like not being portable at all.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

Still got the Hifimans on your list? They are not really portable :P

  

lol @ you two (are you giving me a hard way to go?! lol

 

Revised List:

Grado rs2i

Sennheiser Momentum

Audio Technica-ATH ES10, ATH-M50, ATH-ESW9

Denon AH-D1100

Ultrasone HFI-450

 

Be easy on me.. ***remember I'm a Newbie*** 

Thanks you two..

Keep you posted & have a great one!

post #26 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by genclaymore View Post

The main ones I would say to get rid of is the bose's and the Beat's. Then for the rest give them a listen and pick the one you like and sell the rest. At-least you didn't have op-amp OCD like I did once and had a huge box filled of op-amps.

 

Thanks for the suggestion!  

I sold two Beats yesterday (amazed @ how many people wanted them), one B&W P5,  I have a buyer for the M80, I think I have a buyer for the Bose (keeping my fingers crossed) ;)

 

I am trying to get a buyer for the Klipsch M40 (I may get stuck with them).  Overall I am making progress...

 

Wish me luck & have an awesome day!!

post #27 of 45

Good luck then biggrin.gif

post #28 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLYFE01 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by genclaymore View Post

The main ones I would say to get rid of is the bose's and the Beat's. Then for the rest give them a listen and pick the one you like and sell the rest. At-least you didn't have op-amp OCD like I did once and had a huge box filled of op-amps.

 

Thanks for the suggestion!  

I sold two Beats yesterday (amazed @ how many people wanted them), one B&W P5,  I have a buyer for the M80, I think I have a buyer for the Bose (keeping my fingers crossed) ;)

 

I am trying to get a buyer for the Klipsch M40 (I may get stuck with them).  Overall I am making progress...

 

Wish me luck & have an awesome day!!

Wow man, nice! I'm trying to get my dad to sell his Beats and get MDR-1R's, so they are easy to sell? Good, I'll tell him laterredface.gif

post #29 of 45

Send them all to me....

 

All joking aside, pick a couple of genres you really like. Then pick out your favorite headphones for listening to each genre. Sell all of your other headphones. Then, either get off the upgrade treadmill, and pocket the money from selling them, or spend that money on either getting more gear (sources, dacs, amps, etc) or find a new pair of headphones. Audition it either in a store or at a meet first. Make sure it is your absolute favorite. Buy it. Sell your old cans. Spend that money on more gear....

post #30 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

Wow man, nice! I'm trying to get my dad to sell his Beats and get MDR-1R's, so they are easy to sell? Good, I'll tell him laterredface.gif

 

I sold my beats to co-workers.  They seem to think that beats are the "hot" headphones to own... go figure.  Their ignorance is my gain ;x *oops did I just type that*  (apologies I've been sipping red wine...)  

 

Suggest to your Dad that he put them on eBay.  In the advertisement use the word "authentic"..  If the asking price is right, they should sell right away...

 

Oh & by the way..Wolfe-I'm a Girl.. not a guy ;)

 

Have a good night!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › In Need of Assistance Please!! OCD Has Kicked In & My Headphone Collection Is Getting Out of Control!!