Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Review: iHiFi960 portable DAP and transport
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review: iHiFi960 portable DAP and transport - Page 4

post #46 of 142

This is a seriously good DAP for the money, heck it bests some DAPs twice it's price for sound quality. 

 

Deserves way more appreciation on Head-fi IMO.

post #47 of 142

is this the best dap youve had sir?

post #48 of 142
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoyman View Post

is this the best dap youve had sir?

 

The HiFi ET MA-9 is slightly better - smoother and more refined. But it costs a lot more and has less features. 

post #49 of 142

I really wish the MA9 was as feature friendly as this model, i am very jealous of the range of digital outputs!

post #50 of 142

On the subject of micro cards for the 960, I picked a Team 32GB class 4 and it is working fine. I know this is gonna sound dumb, but not having used a micro sdhc card before, I couldn't figure out which way to insert the thing, and there was nothing in the instructions.  I finally figured out it goes in with the contacts side up, label side down. Duh.

post #51 of 142

Anyone heard this dap with Heir Audio 8.A? How is the synergy? I mostly care about various forms of classic and indie rock.

post #52 of 142

Project86 probably has; at the very least he owns both. I personally am incredibly satisfied with it and the 1964Ears v6 customs; there might be a very slight top end roll-off, but I would definitely say it sounds like a very neutral player. It actually has enough oomph to drive my full size Mad Dogs as well.

post #53 of 142
The 960 sounds neutral to me too. Paired with Heir 4A and 1964 Ears V6.
post #54 of 142

Yep, very neutral sound in general. Absolutely love it with my Earsonics SM3v1s.

 

It's an even better transport though, I really don't know how to upgrade from it. If it could only play 24bit files and had better software it would be perfect. Can't have everything I guess.

post #55 of 142
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkbeat View Post

Yep, very neutral sound in general. Absolutely love it with my Earsonics SM3v1s.

 

It's an even better transport though, I really don't know how to upgrade from it. If it could only play 24bit files and had better software it would be perfect. Can't have everything I guess.

 

Yes!

 

If this thing could handle up to 24/96 files I'd be very happy. Not that I'm even really concerned with sound quality but it's a convenience thing - I go drap and drop a bunch of albums to the device, then later realize that a few were hi-res and can't play. 

post #56 of 142

Yeah, I'm bumping into the 24-bit issue as well. Can anybody suggest a program that will convert files from 24 to 16-bit, ideally one that's not too difficult to use?

post #57 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post

 

Yes!

 

If this thing could handle up to 24/96 files I'd be very happy. Not that I'm even really concerned with sound quality but it's a convenience thing - I go drap and drop a bunch of albums to the device, then later realize that a few were hi-res and can't play. 

 

Same! I don't necessarily care that much about 24/96, just much of my classical music happens to be bought from sites that offer it so...

 

Never mind the spartan UI, if this thing could play 24/96 I wouldn't see myself ever considering another transport, it's that good otherwise.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfadeaway View Post

Yeah, I'm bumping into the 24-bit issue as well. Can anybody suggest a program that will convert files from 24 to 16-bit, ideally one that's not too difficult to use?

 

Audacity can do it. I'm sure there's a way to do it through Foobar as well, you can certainly resample with it.

post #58 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfadeaway View Post

Yeah, I'm bumping into the 24-bit issue as well. Can anybody suggest a program that will convert files from 24 to 16-bit, ideally one that's not too difficult to use?


I have used Fidelia (for Mac OS X) to down-convert 24/96 FLAC to 16-bit.

 

On another matter, aargh the problem of the 960 not recognising the micro-SD card has struck again!

post #59 of 142

Thanks for the suggestions. I use Foobar a lot, so maybe I'll start there.  I'll post about it if I find anything post-worthy.
 

post #60 of 142

I pulled the trigger on the 960 and have listening for a week. Blows away my Fuze with custom LOD to O2.

Makes all my headphone reach their potential and sounds 20 percent better in every way compared to my old rig. I'm extremely happy with it.

The few quirks that it does have do not worry me and I love it's neutral ways. Really glad I bought it and not that warm rolled off player I was considering!

The digital out sounds great with my stereo set up too!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Review: iHiFi960 portable DAP and transport