Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser Momentum impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser Momentum impressions thread - Page 14

post #196 of 591

Guys i got the momentums. So far i am loving the Sound. As i said they sound like a aurvana live HD :-)

There are only two things that are bugging me... After 50 minutes, onde hour they became unconfortable, but having 68 mm ears i was already expecting this and i can live with that since i dont use them for more than that amount of time (usually). Now what really is bothering me is that while i am walking with them i seem not to get the same seal on the right pad as i get on the left... This resultes in a little bit more pressured Sound from the left side and from the right it seems like theres Air coming in and in the end the pressures are unbalanced and thats not very nice. Could it be my head shape? The left pad itself is faulty (it doesnt look like it) or in a worse scenario may i havê unbalanced drivers? I already got 50 hours of burn in on them...

post #197 of 591

Sometimes I also feel the left driver sounds a bit quieter than the right driver.

post #198 of 591

AHAH!!! Than its not only me... anyone else??

post #199 of 591

I am not an audiophile, but I have a decent taste for music. I have had Audion Technica ANC-AC7 in the past. After reading quite a few good reviews about V-Moda M-80, I bought them for #129 at RadioShack. I liked the sound signature very much. They sounded great without the AMP. However, the comfort wasn't great. The cans hurt my ears quite often. I wished M-80s had couple of adjustments more. As the return period was running out, I have decided to return them and try a better over-the ear models. All the praises on Sennheiser Momentum (in this thread) drew my attention. Though I was apprehensive about the ear cups size, the positive reviews boosted my confidence. However, I was in no mood to pay the full $349 price tag. Therefore I have decided to go for refurbished ones, for around $200. I returned the V-Modas and ordered the Momentums. After a week long waiting, I finally received the cans! They felt great to my ears initially. They sounded muffled though, out of box. After some burn-in they started sounding nice. I felt uncomfortable with the closed back feel though. I started liking my headphones eventually! I still had this feeling in my mind that they weren't sounding as great as M-80s. However, I trusted the reviews than my instincts.

Last week, I happened to visit RadioShack stores again, and much to my surprise, I found M-80s on clearance sale for $79!!!!! I tried the M-80 out of a open box. I compared the sound with my Momentums (which was already a few weeks old, and with decent burn-in). The M-80 was superior in every aspect, Mids, Highs an excellent punchy bass! Without AMP, the M-80 sounded 30% more louder and bassy than Momentums! The sound stage was wider and the clarity was excellent! It was then the time to trust my ears rather than instincts and reviews! I bought the M-80 for the price (sealed box), and returned my Momentums! I am yet to receive my refund. But I am very happy with my switch back! I also have decided to be more patient and give the cans sometime to adjust to my headphone. Confort compromised for the quality!!!

I am really not sure if the reviews are written based on comparisons or merely based on the brand value! If we stick to one headphone only, probably, we start liking them! We start feeling the burn-in improvements etc. I guess we need to keep comparing them with similar range and at times lower range models too, to correctly understand and appreciate the worth. I am in no way trying to undermine the knowledge and experience of the reviewers here. But then, the ears do tell us the story! At times, they come out as better reviewers.

post #200 of 591
What are your favourite types of music mesh? I am thinking alsp of returning the momentums because wither i a,m not getting a good seal or i have uneven drivers... I would love to try the m80s but they are too expensive here in europe.... Buy me a pairs and send me... :-P
post #201 of 591
I like neutral sound signature with a punchy/tight bass. I am not into Dub-steps and bassy-heavy stuff. V-Moda M-80 is the right one for me. Comfort is an issue, but I guess I might get over that eventually. I too had the same problem with Momentums. They aren't exactly over the ears, thereby lacking that seal. I feel it's a headphone that need to be driven with a decent AMP. I just got my M-80s for 79 USD. I think they are out of stock now.
post #202 of 591
Damn... I really wanted a m80. I was willing to drop 100 dollars on them... Too bad... :'(
Back to the momentums... In termos of resolution they Sound amazing and they indeed are cery good bit when i move with them serem like theres a Aïr leak on the right side wich males it Sound weaker than the left onde, and that ruins the experiente because you end up paying more atention to that than enjoying music...
post #203 of 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Oliveira View Post

Damn... I really wanted a m80. I was willing to drop 100 dollars on them... Too bad... :'(
Back to the momentums... In termos of resolution they Sound amazing and they indeed are cery good bit when i move with them serem like theres a Aïr leak on the right side wich males it Sound weaker than the left onde, and that ruins the experiente because you end up paying more atention to that than enjoying music...

I guess you may have the same problem with the M-80, though, if some comments I read are true.

Oh, I forgot to mention another great thing about the Momentum: no microphonics. Practically zero cable noise.
post #204 of 591
If i trade the momentums will i get lucky? What i mean is, if i go to the store and trade for another paor of momentums is there any chace of getting a unir that provides me better seal or do this headphones are basically all similar and there are not production variations (for instance, onde having sligthly bigger pads than others...)?
Edited by Pedro Oliveira - 9/5/13 at 5:10am
post #205 of 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKrFfXx View Post
 

Sometimes I also feel the left driver sounds a bit quieter than the right driver.

 

Actually I have this feeling on many other headphones, too.

It's been quite a while since I had heard those cans, but I didn't recognize those unbalanced drivers.

Maybe it's more clear if you carefully listen.

post #206 of 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalaramesh View Post
 

I am not an audiophile, but I have a decent taste for music. I have had Audion Technica ANC-AC7 in the past. After reading quite a few good reviews about V-Moda M-80, I bought them for #129 at RadioShack. I liked the sound signature very much. They sounded great without the AMP. However, the comfort wasn't great. The cans hurt my ears quite often. I wished M-80s had couple of adjustments more. As the return period was running out, I have decided to return them and try a better over-the ear models. All the praises on Sennheiser Momentum (in this thread) drew my attention. Though I was apprehensive about the ear cups size, the positive reviews boosted my confidence. However, I was in no mood to pay the full $349 price tag. Therefore I have decided to go for refurbished ones, for around $200. I returned the V-Modas and ordered the Momentums. After a week long waiting, I finally received the cans! They felt great to my ears initially. They sounded muffled though, out of box. After some burn-in they started sounding nice. I felt uncomfortable with the closed back feel though. I started liking my headphones eventually! I still had this feeling in my mind that they weren't sounding as great as M-80s. However, I trusted the reviews than my instincts.

Last week, I happened to visit RadioShack stores again, and much to my surprise, I found M-80s on clearance sale for $79!!!!! I tried the M-80 out of a open box. I compared the sound with my Momentums (which was already a few weeks old, and with decent burn-in). The M-80 was superior in every aspect, Mids, Highs an excellent punchy bass! Without AMP, the M-80 sounded 30% more louder and bassy than Momentums! The sound stage was wider and the clarity was excellent! It was then the time to trust my ears rather than instincts and reviews! I bought the M-80 for the price (sealed box), and returned my Momentums! I am yet to receive my refund. But I am very happy with my switch back! I also have decided to be more patient and give the cans sometime to adjust to my headphone. Confort compromised for the quality!!!

I am really not sure if the reviews are written based on comparisons or merely based on the brand value! If we stick to one headphone only, probably, we start liking them! We start feeling the burn-in improvements etc. I guess we need to keep comparing them with similar range and at times lower range models too, to correctly understand and appreciate the worth. I am in no way trying to undermine the knowledge and experience of the reviewers here. But then, the ears do tell us the story! At times, they come out as better reviewers.

 

Thanks for posting your impressions, it is not easy to put your opinions out there. In the future though, please consider couching your personal listening impressions as your opinion from experience and not using absolute judgment terms. Impressions also always have more value when details are given about how they were made. For example, did you listen to your M-80's from an iPhone? An Hp-p1? Lossless files from a computer? Well mastered recordings?

 

As it stands, your post left some serious questions which I believe merit a response insofar as they might mislead potential buyers of the products you mention. First, if the M80 is superior in every respect to the Momentum, why didn't V-Moda just keep making it instead of the M-100? They have a product that is superior in every way to a well received, high profile product from a well known manufacturer, why bother making a follow-up? Conversely, do you really mean to say that said well known manufacturer is just ripping people off by making a headphone that is worse in every way than one now available for 100 or less? That thus the purchasers of said Cans are just lemmings for that manufacturer?

 

I do not think so, but your post gives a different impression. Please continue to share your impressions but next time consider doing so in a way that presents them as what they are: your personal opinion based upon your personal limited experience. 

 

For shoppers paying attention to this thread: the momentum is certainly worth an audition if you are shopping for a mid range sealed can. It is so good I returned to it despite initial comfort issues {now resolved by wearing them at a strange angle to match my strange head} after spending many hours with several direct competitors including the Sony MDR1R and Focal Spirit One. It is a great sounding can that exudes class especially in the brown color scheme. On the used/refurb market you can get both a Momentum and a Dacport for about $400 total, which is a great way to get into Head-fi. 

 

Happy listening. 

post #207 of 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Oliveira View Post

If i trade the momentums will i get lucky? What i mean is, if i go to the store and trade for another paor of momentums is there any chace of getting a unir that provides me better seal or do this headphones are basically all similar and there are not production variations (for instance, onde having sligthly bigger pads than others...)?

 

I would not count on luck. If you purchased them at a physical store you should go back and let them know your pair is defective. I have heard several pairs of momentums and heard no imbalances. The store should make it right for you, especially at this price point.  

post #208 of 591

Thanks for reading through my post and sharing your feedback on my post. This thread is for posting opinions only, isn't it? Should every line of mine be prefixed with "In my opinion..."?? By any means, I wasn't reviewing the products!!!

I only used the word "better" in my opinions, and not "best". I played them headphones on Iphone/Ipod. These are the most common portable media, aren't they? Why would someone bother to buy a DAC/AMP and compare when the sole requirement is "portable"? When at leisure, we can definitely think about having an AMP/DAC.

Your question about why V-Moda should continue making M-80s and not M-100s when M-80s are so good - Silly isn't it?

If a company makes a better product, they don't try to bask in it's glory. They try to expand their arsenal and be more competitive. M-100s are more in $300 segment and over-the-ear models.

For Audio Technicas, ATH-M50s are the most renowned and successful headphones. However, they haven't stopped making higher end models, did they?

Momentums are not the only competition to V-Modas, and M-80s aren't made to compete against one such model.

Sennheisers make bunch of headphones targetting every segment/range/audience. Momentums are purely for portability and style. There is nothing wrong in thinking that their main emphasis was on design/style rather than quality. Still, that statement doesn't mean that the quality isn't poor. If A is better than B, doesn't mean B is bad.

I too had similar feelings for Momentums until I had them in my possession.

The reason why M-80s were sold for less than $100, is due to RadioShack's strategy to improve their sales. It wasn't V-Modas decision. These cans are being sold for $170 on Amazon.

My Personal Opinion: Momentums aren't great. In most aspects, V-Moda M-80 is better.

I guess I would get my share of space, to share my opinions, without much brickbats.

post #209 of 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalaramesh View Post
 

Thanks for reading through my post and sharing your feedback on my post. This thread is for posting opinions only, isn't it? Should every line of mine be prefixed with "In my opinion..."?? By any means, I wasn't reviewing the products!!!

I only used the word "better" in my opinions, and not "best". I played them headphones on Iphone/Ipod. These are the most common portable media, aren't they? Why would someone bother to buy a DAC/AMP and compare when the sole requirement is "portable"? When at leisure, we can definitely think about having an AMP/DAC.

Your question about why V-Moda should continue making M-80s and not M-100s when M-80s are so good - Silly isn't it?

If a company makes a better product, they don't try to bask in it's glory. They try to expand their arsenal and be more competitive. M-100s are more in $300 segment and over-the-ear models.

For Audio Technicas, ATH-M50s are the most renowned and successful headphones. However, they haven't stopped making higher end models, did they?

Momentums are not the only competition to V-Modas, and M-80s aren't made to compete against one such model.

Sennheisers make bunch of headphones targetting every segment/range/audience. Momentums are purely for portability and style. There is nothing wrong in thinking that their main emphasis was on design/style rather than quality. Still, that statement doesn't mean that the quality isn't poor. If A is better than B, doesn't mean B is bad.

I too had similar feelings for Momentums until I had them in my possession.

The reason why M-80s were sold for less than $100, is due to RadioShack's strategy to improve their sales. It wasn't V-Modas decision. These cans are being sold for $170 on Amazon.

My Personal Opinion: Momentums aren't great. In most aspects, V-Moda M-80 is better.

I guess I would get my share of space, to share my opinions, without much brickbats.

Well I do not know what brickbats are, but I am sorry if you felt your were the victim of some. 

 

I am afraid your post is nonsense. If you want to bring your butter knife to the samurais though.

 

First,  for someone who accused people of posting uninformed opinions simply based upon blind faith in Sennheiser: "I am really not sure if the reviews are written based on comparisons or merely based on the brand value!" you are awfully sensitive to a post that was merely stating facts.

 

Second, you claim to only be posting your opinion but that was not what you did. Your exact words were:

 

" The M-80 was superior in every aspect, Mids, Highs an excellent punchy bass!"

 

That is not positing an opinion, that is a definitive statement that may mislead someone into thinking the momentums were not worth their time since  the M80's are so superior. I repeat, that is my real concern. People rely on this forum for information and your post was potentially providing misinformation.

 

Third, "silly isn't it" does not constitute an argument. It is another personal attack without value to other readers. The concept is not silly. The fact is that the m80 is a great can for what it is but it does not compete, to most ears, with the likes of the momentum. Setting Sennheiser aside, it does not compete with other more expensive mid fi offerings, prime example being the Sony MDR 1R. Thus V-moda made a different model to improve upon it and compete in that arena. For bass lovers, the M100 is a great competitor and is in fact preferred by many, reasonably so, who enjoy a stronger bass response and the V Moda aesthetic. 

 

Fourth, if you wonder why someone would bother to buy a DAC AMP for portable headphones you are on the wrong site. You can get amps, dacs or both specifically for portable applications from a cheap entry level all the way to the shiny new Cypher Labs 900 dollar Theorem DAC. If you think that is no appealing then Head Fi might not be for you since you just indirectly insulted almost all its members. 

 

Fifth, it looks like you listened to the "them headphones" on a iphone with who knows what music or files and concluded "the Momentums aren't great." Not only does that questionable conclusion conflict with almost every other review and personal experience--which is fine--but it also conflicts with your OWN statement that "If A is better than B, doesn't mean B is bad." It is also not very useful if an impression for Head fiers who will listen to lossless files with a high end player and or amp and would like to know what an informed person thinks the momentum offers in such a scenario. That is important context for you "opinion" which was missing in you earlier post. 

 

If you found headphones at a bargain price that you enjoy, awesome, I could not be happier for you. I only ask that you please not share that enjoyment as a definitive statement that one headphone is "not that great" and is only being well received because people are shills for Sennheiser and only going on the "brand value." 

post #210 of 591

Whatever statement of mine you have highlighted and conclude that it isn't an opinion is still an opinion.

My opinions may differ from majority of the community, and I may not be using all the high-end players, DAC/AMPs, gadgets etc for putting a device through a thorough test.

If there was a difference in opinion, it can be questioned, not rebuked.

Anyways, I would appreciate if you could take this argument offline. My opinion may matter to some readers, if in future they buy the product and face a similar experience and situation. 

The reason what you have for M-100s, is the same what I wrote in my response. We probably are on the same page, but are in "differing mood". Your question in your first response wasn't clear enough.

Let readers have different opinions to read, ultimately, everything has to do with ears.

Let's take this offline if you are still tempted to respond.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser Momentum impressions thread