Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Mystery Unclosed: Modern Closed Headphones Compared + Sennheiser HD598 UPDATE: PSB M4U2 Added 7/5/13
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mystery Unclosed: Modern Closed Headphones Compared + Sennheiser HD598 UPDATE: PSB M4U2 Added 7/5/13 - Page 7

post #91 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by minhquancanon7d View Post

Which one would u prefer more for basshead? The m-100 or 1r, loving the ue6000 and my ears are as big as the cup!

I've tried all three extensively and the M-100 is definitely hands-down the best for BASSHEAD. Not only does it have a really solid bass boost that does not bleed into the mids/trebles. The bass has a solid impact, extends really deep into the low sub-bass, and is very tight and accurate without being bloated/muddy.

 

If you think that the M-100 is too bass heavy, then I don't think you looking at it in a bassheady perspective :P lol.

 

For me personally, the M100 boosts the bass very nicely right up to the edge. I've played with the EQ settings a lot & any more bass boost would be too excessive for me personally. Any less bass causes the headphones to lose it's extreme fun factor. However, I have EQed down the bass for classical and other non-bassy genres, and the M100 performed admirably. However, on its default settings, the M100 absolutely rocks all kinds of electronica/trance/dupstep/house/hip hop/bass-heavy songs & legit makes you want to jump around to the beat. I actually cannot study with these headphones because they are so engaging with the bass causing me to focus more on the music rather than the books lol.

 

I disagree that the MDR-1Rs are bass light as the AKG K550 & the Sennheiser Momentum has less bass than the MDR-1R from my comparisons. The MDR-1R has this strong midbass emphasis that definitely colors the sound. however, I don't think that the MDR-1R have great sub-bass extension. 1Rs are super comfy, but I don't think of them as basshead or amazing bass.

 

My second favorite bass for closed portable headphones after the M100 was actually the AKG K550 bass as its bass seemed extremely clear, detailed, and had amazingly low sub-bass extension. Even though the bass was not boosted, it sounded pretty legit. very different from the M100, but still really cool. Listened to the Hans Zimmer soundtracks (like Dark Knight & Inception) on them for hours on end.

post #92 of 104
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post

I've tried all three extensively and the M-100 is definitely hands-down the best for BASSHEAD. Not only does it have a really solid bass boost that does not bleed into the mids/trebles. The bass has a solid impact, extends really deep into the low sub-bass, and is very tight and accurate without being bloated/muddy.

 

If you think that the M-100 is too bass heavy, then I don't think you looking at it in a bassheady perspective :P lol.

 

For me personally, the M100 boosts the bass very nicely right up to the edge. I've played with the EQ settings a lot & any more bass boost would be too excessive for me personally. Any less bass causes the headphones to lose it's extreme fun factor. However, I have EQed down the bass for classical and other non-bassy genres, and the M100 performed admirably. However, on its default settings, the M100 absolutely rocks all kinds of electronica/trance/dupstep/house/hip hop/bass-heavy songs & legit makes you want to jump around to the beat. I actually cannot study with these headphones because they are so engaging with the bass causing me to focus more on the music rather than the books lol.

 

I disagree that the MDR-1Rs are bass light as the AKG K550 & the Sennheiser Momentum has less bass than the MDR-1R from my comparisons. The MDR-1R has this strong midbass emphasis that definitely colors the sound. however, I don't think that the MDR-1R have great sub-bass extension. 1Rs are super comfy, but I don't think of them as basshead or amazing bass.

 

My second favorite bass for closed portable headphones after the M100 was actually the AKG K550 bass as its bass seemed extremely clear, detailed, and had amazingly low sub-bass extension. Even though the bass was not boosted, it sounded pretty legit. very different from the M100, but still really cool. Listened to the Hans Zimmer soundtracks (like Dark Knight & Inception) on them for hours on end.

AHHHHHH YESSSSSSSS :D Another love for AKG K550! Although I disagree that K550 provide more bass than 1R do. Anywhere, I only get like 95.999999999999 [troll] of completely seal on the K550 XD 

 

In addition, my dad likes those AKG too but not so when paired with the DX100. Side note, he show no interest with headphones but his car sound system, always the best XD

post #93 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 View Post

AHHHHHH YESSSSSSSS :D Another love for AKG K550! Although I disagree that K550 provide more bass than 1R do. Anywhere, I only get like 95.999999999999 [troll] of completely seal on the K550 XD 

 

In addition, my dad likes those AKG too but not so when paired with the DX100. Side note, he show no interest with headphones but his car sound system, always the best XD

No, you are right. The MDR-1R has MORE bass than the AKG K550.

 

However, I still liked the AKG K550's presentation of the bass better. I thought that the K550's bass was balanced better, had a lot more detail/texture, and you can hear/feel the really low sub-bass more. While the 1R has a more bass emphasis, to me i feel like it's more of just a midbass boost which is great... makes it seem warm/full/lush to me, but the K550's bass seems very deep & vivid... and to me I found that I could hear more nuances in the bass and it seems you can feel the explosions and bass notes creep up on you from different distances. I think that is due to the nice soundstage of the K550.

 

K550 is definitely not bass boosted though & I wouldn't recommend them for bassheads looking for globs & globs of bass. However, I think it has very well-done, balanced bass that is definitely interesting to hear. Fit is pretty important with these & I did notice that when you pressed the earcups tighter against your head, the sound really improved! lol. (my head is kinda small)

post #94 of 104

Awesome thread. These things are basically the exact things I was trying to figure out during early-ish autumn '12. Sadly there wasn't as much choice around here during that time. I'd LOVE to hear about how Focal Spirit Ones would fare against the headphones that are going toe-to-toe on this thread. There's an odd sort of neglect they're getting on these forums, but I guess that's what you get from your first attempt unless you're going to completely blow people away with the relative quality. Spirit Ones basically fit right in to this thread both for its price and purpose (mobile, easy to drive though a bit picky to amp due to sensitivity) nevertheless.

 

Also for the talk of bass on this thread. Spirit Ones are still by far my most favourite bass headphones. The bass is insanely fast and clear without drowning the rest. I haven't had a chance to compare them with most of the stuff here though. Hence my curiosity. biggrin.gif


Edited by Jepu - 4/5/13 at 1:45am
post #95 of 104
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepu View Post

Awesome thread. These things are basically the exact things I was trying to figure out during early-ish autumn '12. Sadly there wasn't as much choice around here during that time. I'd LOVE to hear about how Focal Spirit Ones would fare against the headphones that are going toe-to-toe on this thread. There's an odd sort of neglect they're getting on these forums, but I guess that's what you get from your first attempt unless you're going to completely blow people away with the relative quality. Spirit Ones basically fit right in to this thread both for its price and purpose (mobile, easy to drive though a bit picky to amp due to sensitivity) nevertheless.

 

Also for the talk of bass on this thread. Spirit Ones are still by far my most favourite bass headphones. The bass is insanely fast and clear without drowning the rest. I haven't had a chance to compare them with most of the stuff here though. Hence my curiosity. biggrin.gif

I did happen to try it unamped but there is several reason for me to not post my review here. 1) I heard there's a manufacture issue and same model but different unit might sound different. 2) I didn't listen long enough for a proper review 3) I do not appriciate the sound as much as I do with UE6000 who is sitting next to it.

 

Anywhere, here's my quick impression since you requested :)

 

The lows which is the bass are like you said very fast, clear and tight sounding. It also sound big and satisfies basshead. In comparison to the UE6000, these are even bigger in base. The mids and highs sound like it is behind the bass. Mellowish sounding. Soundstage are very airy. Instrument separation are fairly clear. Slide details are missing.  I noticed slide echo sounding with these when I paired it with my iNano 3rd. Might as well because of the faulty headphone jack or any other possible reasons. 

 

Oh and yes! You reminded me to add my review with PSB M4U2! Really love these boys! XD

 

Billson :)

post #96 of 104
Wow, fast service!

And yeah, the 1st gen had rattly/faulty drivers at around 10% of the units. Fairly safe to assume all are fine now though. A bit more treble would be what I would want still. Seems like the freq response is a downwards curve with most of headphones like these. And yeah, the UE line sounds really intriguing! Have to listen to them at some point.
post #97 of 104
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepu View Post

Wow, fast service!

And yeah, the 1st gen had rattly/faulty drivers at around 10% of the units. Fairly safe to assume all are fine now though. A bit more treble would be what I would want still. Seems like the freq response is a downwards curve with most of headphones like these. And yeah, the UE line sounds really intriguing! Have to listen to them at some point.

Yeah I heard about that too! Maybe I should give it another shot the next time I see it! The new UE line are mostly bassy and satisfy basshead. It is also very detailed! Other than Those two, they all sound quite different from one another but not so when you compared it with UE6000 and UE9000. Fairly similar but UE6K sound better and UE900 remains the best to me xD

post #98 of 104

tks very much, but since my ears are as big as the ue6k cups and I may get the m100 in singapore, which is hard to find bigger pads, are the m100 still over ears headphones with my ears and my music taste is linkin park, and some more bassy songs. Beside that, I like Eagles very much so I want my new cans sound good with those and it has to be for basshead

post #99 of 104
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by minhquancanon7d View Post

tks very much, but since my ears are as big as the ue6k cups and I may get the m100 in singapore, which is hard to find bigger pads, are the m100 still over ears headphones with my ears and my music taste is linkin park, and some more bassy songs. Beside that, I like Eagles very much so I want my new cans sound good with those and it has to be for basshead

Hello!

So sorry! I know M-100 been doing excellent these few months and it holds itself when comparing with a lot of closed headphones including those I mentioned but I haven't got my chance to hands on it and therefore, I can't speak much about it!

So sorry!
Billson smily_headphones1.gif
post #100 of 104
Thread Starter 

Hello all!

 

I been seeing the PSB headphones catching more and more attention and since I have this great oppurtunity to try it again a while ago, why not add it in to this to me, big comparison? I hope you can forgive me if it is not so detailed review as I cannot recall it clearly but I am seeing a few people asking about these great headphone and so I decided to add in here! 

 

Hope you guys like it!
Billson :)

post #101 of 104

great! thank you for the nice work!

post #102 of 104
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofastreamer View Post

great! thank you for the nice work!

Thanks! biggrin.gif

Billson XD
post #103 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofastreamer View Post

i had nearly all the modern headphones mentioned in the thread. like, 1r, 550, m100, dt770 ae, cop, and so on. only one i did not own was the momentum. but all of them head their flaws either in sound (extremely coloured 1r) or comfort (hurting m100). right now i am really enjoying the ue6000. was not that impressed at first, and dislike the right sided cable. but they starting growing on me in passive mode. very good detail retrieval and a extremely natural timbre to my ears. only thing i am missing sometimes is some more depth in soundstage. but hey, they are comfortable like no other and still well portable thanks to folding mechanism. so i thing i found what i am looking for, but still have to check yamaha pro500 and maybe m100 again, once the xl pads will be out.

Cannot agree more. I got my ue 6000 for nearly a week . Once put on my head I can forget the time and feel high all the day long. Its soundstage Is wide ( compare to ie8 that have been using for 4 years) and smooth and fast forward sound signature really make what so good within it.
Edited by ZenocideZ - 7/8/13 at 12:44am
post #104 of 104
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenocideZ View Post

Cannot agree more. I got my ue 6000 for nearly a week . Once put on my head I can forget the time and feel high all the day long. Its soundstage Is wide ( compare to ie8 that have been using for 4 years) and smooth and fast forward sound signature really make what so good within it.

Another head-fier who is satisfied with their UE6000! XD to be honest, at first I do not like them at all! The weird unnatural vocals, too darkish sound, over emphasised bass etc but after a longger impression, I kind of get used to the sound signature althought I still prefer the accurate sounding of AKG K550 / PSB M4U1.

Billson smily_headphones1.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Mystery Unclosed: Modern Closed Headphones Compared + Sennheiser HD598 UPDATE: PSB M4U2 Added 7/5/13