Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Mystery Unclosed: Modern Closed Headphones Compared + Sennheiser HD598 UPDATE: PSB M4U2 Added 7/5/13
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mystery Unclosed: Modern Closed Headphones Compared + Sennheiser HD598 UPDATE: PSB M4U2 Added 7/5/13 - Page 3

post #31 of 104

has any of you guys tried the v-moda crossfade m-100? they seem to be in the same category as they are $300 on amazon. how do those compare?

post #32 of 104
More punchy bass on v- moda. Have you looked at the Mad Dogs? Been eyeing them for a while myself, a long thread here on head-fi aswell.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/613576/mad-dog-by-mrspeakers-modified-fostex-t50rp-review
Edited by Leonarfd - 1/27/13 at 10:26pm
post #33 of 104
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukEM22 View Post

may iI ask what you mean by
"basshead need not apply"?

What I mean for that is: the bass are strong smily_headphones1.gif sorry if there's any misunderstanding smily_headphones1.gif
post #34 of 104
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by money4me247 View Post

has any of you guys tried the v-moda crossfade m-100? they seem to be in the same category as they are $300 on amazon. how do those compare?

Will be going to Singapore where I can try some headphones in a shop which I know. Heard they bringing in those soon, will make sure I try them and let you know if possible. smily_headphones1.gif
post #35 of 104

Although I haven't heard the UE6000, out of this bunch, yeah the K550 are the most pleasant.

I didn't like the M-100 sound, and would choose the K550 over it.  My first impression of the M-100 was it was just boomy bass, and that is an immediate turn off.

post #36 of 104
Wonderful write-up!!! Very concise and straightforward. Look forward to more impressions of other cans and how they compare.
post #37 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFULMTL View Post
 My first impression of the M-100 was it was just boomy bass, and that is an immediate turn off.

I thought this as well, did you think the mids were recessed or was it just the over exaggeration on the bass?

post #38 of 104
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by roma101 View Post

Wonderful write-up!!! Very concise and straightforward. Look forward to more impressions of other cans and how they compare.

Hi! Thanks! ^_^ Is there any headphones you have in mind that you wanted to compare? I'll try to audition them & hopefully I can add in here smily_headphones1.gif but no promise...
post #39 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskwerl View Post

I thought this as well, did you think the mids were recessed or was it just the over exaggeration on the bass?


Not really recessed, just too much uncontrolled bass.  I posted before a while back that it reminded me very much of the AKG K618 but triple the price for metal and asthetics, except I could tolerate the massive boomy bass on the K618 because of the price.


Edited by PFULMTL - 1/29/13 at 7:38am
post #40 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 View Post


Hi! Thanks! ^_^ Is there any headphones you have in mind that you wanted to compare? I'll try to audition them & hopefully I can add in here smily_headphones1.gif but no promise...


I appreciate that :) I am pretty intrigued by the new Yamaha Pro 500, if you ever get your hands on those. I also wonder what your take would be on the Amperior (especially vs. the Momentum). I got them recently, and as a longtime HD25-user, I am pretty impressed by the upgrade. The clarity is improved as well as imaging. Soundstage is slightly better, as in it doesn't feel as congested as the original HD25. Everything sounds cleaner and well separated and there's better decay and timbre. I believe the anodized aluminum cups do make a solid improvement (I was very skeptical of this until I owned them). That said, I got mine for a very reasonable price (refurb by Sennheiser) and I feel $300 MSRP at most, would have been the right price for them. IMO they do compete with the likes of the DT 1350, for example.


Edited by roma101 - 1/29/13 at 10:12am
post #41 of 104

Good comparison.  The only 2 I've listened to in-depth are the K550 and MDR.  I was originally going to get the K550 as, combined with a friend's Best Buy discount I could've got them for $160 dollars, but decided I already have enough home headphones, despite how sexy they were.  The MDR's while having a different sound and not as quick as the K550s, had suprisingly awesome separation and soundstage, super comfortable, awesome across the board with a treble that felt kind of limitless, but not aggressive. 

post #42 of 104

I prefer the sound of the mdr-1r everyday over the k550, its smoother and more musically. The K550 is no slouch at music, but I find it abit boring and behind some open earphones. If you really need an can to use as a portable get the mdr-1r. At home if you want a more neutral sound get the K550.

The mdr-1r together with jazz is lovely to my ears, will be a keeper for a long time.

post #43 of 104
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by roma101 View Post


I appreciate that smily_headphones1.gif I am pretty intrigued by the new Yamaha Pro 500, if you ever get your hands on those. I also wonder what your take would be on the Amperior (especially vs. the Momentum). I got them recently, and as a longtime HD25-user, I am pretty impressed by the upgrade. The clarity is improved as well as imaging. Soundstage is slightly better, as in it doesn't feel as congested as the original HD25. Everything sounds cleaner and well separated and there's better decay and timbre. I believe the anodized aluminum cups do make a solid improvement (I was very skeptical of this until I owned them). That said, I got mine for a very reasonable price (refurb by Sennheiser) and I feel $300 MSRP at most, would have been the right price for them. IMO they do compete with the likes of the DT 1350, for example.

I don't think I can find hose Yamaha redface.gif As for Amperior, interesting! Will make sure I try those(Amprior, Momentums, DT1350 + K167 & HD-25 ii)if I get to walk into the shop again next week or so! Really looking forward for that and hoping I could purchase some amp for my IEM. Will be sure to A/Bs the above 4 headphones here. Tried those K167 last time but wasn't ready to give a full review as it just arrived at the store that time & the sound wasn't all that good. Does require some burn-in I believe. Anyway, wish me luck! XD
post #44 of 104
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonarfd View Post

I prefer the sound of the mdr-1r everyday over the k550, its smoother and more musically. The K550 is no slouch at music, but I find it abit boring and behind some open earphones. If you really need an can to use as a portable get the mdr-1r. At home if you want a more neutral sound get the K550.


The mdr-1r together with jazz is lovely to my ears, will be a keeper for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivergeUnify View Post

Good comparison.  The only 2 I've listened to in-depth are the K550 and MDR.  I was originally going to get the K550 as, combined with a friend's Best Buy discount I could've got them for $160 dollars, but decided I already have enough home headphones, despite how sexy they were.  The MDR's while having a different sound and not as quick as the K550s, had suprisingly awesome separation and soundstage, super comfortable, awesome across the board with a treble that felt kind of limitless, but not aggressive. 
The MDR-1R wasn't at the first place in terms of sound quality because K550 has more neutral sound, wider soundstage and like you said faster. The MDR-1R is pretty good for both outdoor and indoor as it foes benefits from an amp. Overall, the MDR-1R sound FUN while the K550 sound "Serious" as in neutral smily_headphones1.gif really depends on what you like.

The K550 are actually suitable for outdoor unless AKG provide a case, a detachable code and a shorter cable but of corse, it's pretty weird to carry such big stuff while on the go. rolleyes.gif
post #45 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 View Post

I don't think I can find hose Yamaha redface.gif As for Amperior, interesting! Will make sure I try those(Amprior, Momentums, DT1350 + K167 & HD-25 ii)if I get to walk into the shop again next week or so! Really looking forward for that and hoping I could purchase some amp for my IEM. Will be sure to A/Bs the above 4 headphones here. Tried those K167 last time but wasn't ready to give a full review as it just arrived at the store that time & the sound wasn't all that good. Does require some burn-in I believe. Anyway, wish me luck! XD

Looking forward to your comparo and good luck!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Mystery Unclosed: Modern Closed Headphones Compared + Sennheiser HD598 UPDATE: PSB M4U2 Added 7/5/13