Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › W/Rap Sucks 2.0..............................Rap/HipHop Appreciation Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

W/Rap Sucks 2.0..............................Rap/HipHop Appreciation Thread. - Page 6

post #76 of 3332

Thanks for your recommendation, sfwalcer. Jazzyfact will go well with my username. cool.gif

 

As another favorite rapper of mine, MC Hammer has some other gems out if you look past U Can't Touch This:

 

 

post #77 of 3332
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJazzyH View Post

Thanks for your recommendation, sfwalcer. Jazzyfact will go well with my username. cool.gif

 

As another favorite rapper of mine, MC Hammer has some other gems out if you look past U Can't Touch This:

 

No problemo Jazzy hope that was jazzy enough for you? biggrin.gif

 

And what is wrong with "U Can't Touch This!" That's da jam meng!

 

 

IT'S HAMMER TIME!!!

 

Bonus gif. : P


Edited by sfwalcer - 1/27/13 at 3:59pm
post #78 of 3332

Listening to BB King, I'm remembering that hip-hop incorporates some interesting blues elements that I enjoy a whole lot (classic hip-hop, anyway - and The Roots). It makes me wonder what hip-hop would be without the blues...

post #79 of 3332
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C.S. View Post

Listening to BB King, I'm remembering that hip-hop incorporates some interesting blues elements that I enjoy a whole lot (classic hip-hop, anyway - and The Roots). It makes me wonder what hip-hop would be without the blues...


You know, this Bruce Lee quote is a great summation of what Hip Hop is and what it can be.

 

"Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless - like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup...........................Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend"

 

That Bruce Lee insight!

400


Edited by sfwalcer - 1/27/13 at 9:05pm
post #80 of 3332

So this thread's back? Nice.

 

Just dumped a huge load of korean hip-hop in the Asian music thread, so I'll leave with this:

post #81 of 3332
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post

No problemo Jazzy hope that was jazzy enough for you? biggrin.gif

 

And what is wrong with "U Can't Touch This!" That's da jam meng!

 

Nothing wrong with "U Can't Touch This" at all. I actually like it myself. But like PSY's "Gangnam Style", the song's uber popularity doomed all of Hammer's other work to live in it's shadow. I meant to bring him up in order to show everyone here that he was more than just a one-hit wonder, for those that didn't know.

post #82 of 3332
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwalcer View Post

Gave this topic some thought and tried to understand why I prefer Korean rap/hip hop over Jpns as well as rest of Asias. Although i don't agree wholeheartedly that there is such a thing as a "hip-hop standard" that should be followed, there is not doubt certain elements/ styles/ sounds of rap music which makes it more "hip hop". This parallels that "real" vs. "fake" hip hop discussion not just in that the English/ American forms are seen as more "legit" as compared to outsider foreign "wanna-be/ fake" forms but also that mainstream hip pop vs the underground backpacker aspects of it as well.

 

To me Jpnese "hip hop," and this could be said for most of Asia as well has this "Asian pop" overtone to it which makes it just too Asian sounding as exemplified by all the Jpnese hip hop MVs from all the previous posts. Not that that is a bad thing per se but it does make it seem less "legit" compared to their American/ English counterparts. This is similar to what Kami stated above, but I don't see hip hop as solely a "lyric based genre" because if you are a big hip hop head you will instantly "know" when you hear great hip hop/ rap, a gut feeling if you may. What I am trying to say is that hip hop is not only defined by its "technical parts of their lyrics" but is also defined by its overall musicality which is derived from all the elements/ instruments that are used.  Lyrics is just one component of that. Hence, even though I don't understand a single word when I listen to non-English hip hop I can still dig it due to its hip hop musicality.

 

I guess that is the basis for my Korean hip hop bias because for me it just sounds more "hip hop" and "legit" when compared to the rest of Asia. Sonically you can hear the "realness" in Korean hip hop, because there is direct correlation in the elements that are used to what we would now consider as that "Classic Hip Hop" sound. No doubt there is a lot of sh!tty Korean hip hop out there, but amount of talent that is harbored in Korean hip hop scene despite its small niche in Korean society is massive. Korean hip hop, where it lacks in quantity, is made up by quality. Sadly this could not be said for the rest of Asia because both quantity and quality are lacking. Despite the popularity of rap/ hip hop in Jpn, I find it extremely difficult to find quality artists that appeals to me. A lot of the successful acts such as M-Flo, Zeebra, AI, etc just can't compare to what Korean hip hop has to offer. That is why it was great to see many Jpnese hip hop MVs posted here, because for me it is extremely difficult to find good Jpnese hip hop with that real classic hip hop feel. Despite I loved all the Jpn MVs that were posted, it still has that Asian pop overtone which can sound generic and too poppy at times.

I don't know much of Asian music in general and rap in particular, but I think it's way too poppish too and they also try too hard to mimic the westerns.

All that English in a Korean song, why?

post #83 of 3332
Why not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PereUbu View Post

I don't know much of Asian music in general and rap in particular, but I think it's way too poppish too and they also try too hard to mimic the westerns.
All that English in a Korean song, why?
post #84 of 3332
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamijoIsMyHero View Post

Why not?


Because they are just trying to appeal to a big public, and while I can understand  that it may sound as an entertaining listening experience to someone, it doesn't really hold any more merits than being entertaining, since all it aims at is pleasing the largest amount of people.
These Asians countries are trying to westernize themselves so desperately, and even in music this causes a lack of personality and make them sound all alike.

Japan and Korea are not America, they have a great deal of history behind their back and I'm sure they could bring some of their peculiarities to their music, instead of trying to sound "cool".

post #85 of 3332
One of the big characteristics of hip-hop is in trendsetting, so charisma is quite needed for an MC

Anyways you couldn't be anymore wrong in thinking Asian countries are trying to westernize, that never was a mentality, maybe for diplomatic reason but culturally, I doubt it, English is there because hip-hop was English first
post #86 of 3332
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamijoIsMyHero View Post

One of the big characteristics of hip-hop is in trendsetting, so charisma is quite needed for an MC

Anyways you couldn't be anymore wrong in thinking Asian countries are trying to westernize, that never was a mentality, maybe for diplomatic reason but culturally, I doubt it, English is there because hip-hop was English first

Well, Japan is a perfect example of what I mean, they are more western than western themselves.
Anyway, I didn't mean to sound offensive, so I apologize if I hurt anyone's feelings.
Still, I don't see how charisma has anything to do with what we are saying.

post #87 of 3332

Freddie Gibbs.

I followed him for a while before he got bigger, but not really sure what to think of his songs now.  Many people compare him to a modern day 2Pac.  Some of his songs are great, like the old ones I'm posting, then some of the songs are just fillers.

 

 

 

 

New stuff

 

 


Edited by PFULMTL - 1/28/13 at 10:32am
post #88 of 3332

post #89 of 3332
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFULMTL View Post

Freddie Gibbs.

I followed him for a while before he got bigger, but not really sure what to think of his songs now.  Many people compare him to a modern day 2Pac.  Some of his songs are great, like the old ones I'm posting, then some of the songs are just fillers.

 

2pac is 2pac, anybody that tries to say they're the second coming/modern day version is a downright liar, I don't even bother with rappers that have that as their selling point

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PereUbu View Post

Well, Japan is a perfect example of what I mean, they are more western than western themselves.
Anyway, I didn't mean to sound offensive, so I apologize if I hurt anyone's feelings.
Still, I don't see how charisma has anything to do with what we are saying.

there is a difference between western and modern, you do know that right? Japan is nothing like NA, why don't you go there and experience it yourself

 

I don't think its worth explain anything about hip-hop to you unless you do some listening yourself, although I will pose this question, would you rather go to a party with an unsociable host or one with a likeable personality?

post #90 of 3332
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PereUbu View Post

I don't know much of Asian music in general and rap in particular, but I think it's way too poppish too and they also try too hard to mimic the westerns.

All that English in a Korean song, why?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PereUbu View Post


Because they are just trying to appeal to a big public, and while I can understand  that it may sound as an entertaining listening experience to someone, it doesn't really hold any more merits than being entertaining, since all it aims at is pleasing the largest amount of people.
These Asians countries are trying to westernize themselves so desperately, and even in music this causes a lack of personality and make them sound all alike.

Japan and Korea are not America, they have a great deal of history behind their back and I'm sure they could bring some of their peculiarities to their music, instead of trying to sound "cool".

 

@Pere

I can see where you are coming from, and would have agreed with you a few years back. But the English that are used in Korean hip hop these days are so proficient and meaningful that it just helps with the overall flow of the rhymes that's all. Plus since hip hop is a global phenomenon now, having English verses makes it a lot more accessible, don't you think. I certainly appreciate all the effort the artist puts in to make it flow so smoothly in 2 different languages, no???

 

I can understand your argument if the English that were used was just to sound "cool" and is a bunch of nonsense, this is very true in it's use for mainstream K-pop raps BTW. But that fool Beenzino's English in that Jazzyfact album is so fluent and full of "swag", as much as I hate to use that word, it sounds so freaking awesome and it transitions seamlessly with the Korean language. It's nothing like the "engrish" that are used in Kpop songs, etc. So I don't see your beef there, but I do see where you are coming from. Another interesting topic is "Asians" or other non-Americans/ specifically non-Blacks trying to be/ act "Black" / American cuz it is viewed as "cool."

 

To a certain extent there is validity to this "fronting" and being fakes argument, but that is where you have to judge for yourself if the "artist" is a true one or are they just an act used by the corporate interest to sell you some sh!tty products/ lifestyles. Like I said before if you are a big/ true hip hop head you will know "real" hip hop when you hear it no matter the language, it's basically a gut feeling.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamijoIsMyHero View Post

2pac is 2pac, anybody that tries to say they're the second coming/modern day version is a downright liar, I don't even bother with rappers that have that as their selling point

 

there is a difference between western and modern, you do know that right? Japan is nothing like NA, why don't you go there and experience it yourself

 

I don't think its worth explain anything about hip-hop to you unless you do some listening yourself, although I will pose this question, would you rather go to a party with an unsociable host or one with a likeable personality?

Yeah i don't like all these the next 2pac/ future of hip hop arguments/ comparisons as well. I mean this is just like that Michael Jordan comparison, NO ONE, and I mean no one can be Mike except Mike himself. Everyone is unique and has their legacy so why not just leave it alone?

 

Yeppp argee with you on that likeability aspect of being a MC as well, because why would you listen to anyone or follow them if they have no charisma or a unique character. You need "dat swag" meng to be a great MC.

 

Edit: @ magicman..................................................yeah.


Edited by sfwalcer - 1/28/13 at 9:44pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › W/Rap Sucks 2.0..............................Rap/HipHop Appreciation Thread.