Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Somic EFi-82 MT: Believe the Hype
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Somic EFi-82 MT: Believe the Hype - Page 8

post #106 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashNotCredit View Post

Hey everyone,

The eBay seller just messaged me back. They want to know how many we want.

Does anybody want to order one?


okay ... count me in; i'm falling for the hype ...

post #107 of 321
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by geetarman49 View Post


okay ... count me in; i'm falling for the hype ...

Cool beans!


I think I'll wait until about...11PM EST to see how many people are interested, then e-mail the seller.

post #108 of 321

About how long was the wait for you guys after you placed your orders? I ordered mine on the 1st and got a shipment verification email the next day, but the UPS tracking status has been "Origin Post is Preparing Shipmentsince the 4th.

 

 

The wait is killing me. 

post #109 of 321

It took 10 days from the time I ordered to get it, that Origin Preparing shipment means it's just sitting around waiting until they have enough to ship it off. Maybe it's Chinese New Year that delayed the shipment.

post #110 of 321

Hi,

I have just one question, will these fit? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Z9JWZ8/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

They are a little bit cheaper then the 840 pads, and i still have some money on a prepaid credit card just enough to buy the 240 pads.

post #111 of 321

Processed through USPS Sort Facility

February 23, 2013, 6:49 pm

SANTA CLARITA, CA 91383 

 

 

 

Woohoo!

post #112 of 321

From Dsnuts latest review in the discovery thread:

Part Deux. Somic EFI-82MTs using Shure Pads minus stock sound dampening...

 

Sorry for the noob question, but what is actually the "stock sound dampening" ? Is that the red/black driver cloth cover, as pictured in this CashNotCredit post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/647289/somic-efi-82-mt-believe-the-hype/75#post_9181844 ? 

 

I've exactly the same setup as Dsnuts (EFI-82MT with Shure 840 pads) and I've also this "veiled" feeling from this can.

Thanks

post #113 of 321
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic2vic View Post

From Dsnuts latest review in the discovery thread:

Part Deux. Somic EFI-82MTs using Shure Pads minus stock sound dampening...

 

Sorry for the noob question, but what is actually the "stock sound dampening" ? Is that the red/black driver cloth cover, as pictured in this CashNotCredit post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/647289/somic-efi-82-mt-believe-the-hype/75#post_9181844 ? 

 

I've exactly the same setup as Dsnuts (EFI-82MT with Shure 840 pads) and I've also this "veiled" feeling from this can.

Thanks

Yep, it's that read/black driver cover. 

Take that off and things'll start sounding awesome.

post #114 of 321

 so i had the chance of hooking the

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

efi82mt to my new e17 and they do benefit ALOT from amping. Soundstage is wider, clarity is up a notch and the bass got better definition. the difference is even bigger than what i expected from my denon avr to the e17. I think i love them more than my pro900 with kees mdçod on them. They don't really have the same sound signature, but it still mean that these 40$ cans are on par with 600$ msrp ones. They are slighly veiled so i'll try the CnC hole in stock dampener theory

post #115 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xprime4 View Post

 so i had the chance of hooking the

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

efi82mt to my new e17 and they do benefit ALOT from amping. Soundstage is wider, clarity is up a notch and the bass got better definition. the difference is even bigger than what i expected from my denon avr to the e17. I think i love them more than my pro900 with kees mdçod on them. They don't really have the same sound signature, but it still mean that these 40$ cans are on par with 600$ msrp ones. They are slighly veiled so i'll try the CnC hole in stock dampener theory

 

actually, you are describing how the E17 sounds, and adding the E17's "sound" to the headphone :P

post #116 of 321

ChinaPost says mine got delivered today.  Sweet!  Will have to bang out some code tonight with the allegedly amazing $46 headphones.

 

Btw I ordered on Feb 10th so that's like... a little over 2 weeks of wait.  Nice!

post #117 of 321
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyaems View Post

 

actually, you are describing how the E17 sounds, and adding the E17's "sound" to the headphone :P

We could run around in circles on this one, but frequency response measurements show that unless the internal EQ is activated, the E17 is a very neutral DAC/amp. (link to related thread)

 

I can confirm this experience with both my E10 and my Arcatron HDA-100, so I think it's more of a power thing than an amp characteristics thing.

 

Anyway, if the treble isn't sounding quite like it should with your 840 pads, check into removing the red/black fabric from in front of the driver.

post #118 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashNotCredit View Post

We could run around in circles on this one, but frequency response measurements show that unless the internal EQ is activated, the E17 is a very neutral DAC/amp. (link to related thread)

 

I can confirm this experience with both my E10 and my Arcatron HDA-100, so I think it's more of a power thing than an amp characteristics thing.

 

Anyway, if the treble isn't sounding quite like it should with your 840 pads, check into removing the red/black fabric from in front of the driver.

 

even the ipod 6G has that graph, and yet it is not called "neutral" by many people :P

 

 

http://sonove.angry.jp/RMAA/iPod%20Classic%206th%20160G/fr.png

post #119 of 321

Good news! Hadn't touched my Pannys or Monoprice phones since these came in and thought what the hell. The Panasonic RP-HTF600 pads fit these perfectly. The stock pads were literally painful. Be forewarned if you wear glasses. I had to take my glasses off, put the phones on, and then put them back on letting them rest along the top of the cups. As if these weren't dorky looking enough. So long, red devils! While I had the pads off I cut a small hole in the center of the red/black fabric - welcome back, treble!  I'm thinking about opening these things up this weekend to see if I can manage to coax a little more low end out of them though. I'm very impressed so far!

post #120 of 321
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyaems View Post

even the ipod 6G has that graph, and yet it is not called "neutral" by many people :P




http://sonove.angry.jp/RMAA/iPod%20Classic%206th%20160G/fr.png

The frequency response is provably neutral, so other factors may be responsible for that.

Additionally, I have had a similar experience to Xprime4 with my neutral DAC and amp, so I really don't think this is an amp characteristics issue. The EFi just responds very well to amping.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Somic EFi-82 MT: Believe the Hype