Second the DT 770s.
- productAKG K240 MKII Headphonestagged by System, 1/21/13
- productAKG K271 MKII Headphonestagged by System, 1/21/13
- productAKG K 550tagged by System, 1/21/13
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 1/21/13
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 1/21/13
- productShure SRH 940tagged by System, 1/21/13
Related Forum Threads
- Already done research, would like opinions on ~$125 Over Ear Open-backed Headphones. Last post on 1/31/13 at 2:54am in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K 271 MK II or Shure SHR940? Last post on 11/18/12 at 9:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best mids over-the-ear open headphone for less than USD 300? Last post on 12/8/12 at 8:32am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for headphones for ~£200! Last post on 11/10/12 at 4:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for headphones/headset - $300-400 price range! Last post on 10/21/13 at 12:45pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
Bass response doesn't bleed to the vocals or any other frequency whatsoever, thin lightweight cable with no microphonics and small plug to connect to portable devices. Some people called...
I don't consider them nice or even fun but everytime I'm working out I feel like I made a great investment. Going out with my Westone 4R or my customs make me feel paranoid to some extend. The...
I noticed so much praise around here that my expectations were quite high and I gotta say: I was not disappointed at all. There's little new we can say about such a famous/infamous IEM. I bought a...
The Sennheiser HD280 that I'm reviewing do not belong to me, they're presumably a couple years old (I didn't ask) and in good condition aside from a couple scratches on the earcups. I was curious...
Disclaimer The FR is a review sample sent from Noble Audio. The reviewer was compensated in the form of a ridiculously cool and form-fitting Noble Audio shirt. Introduction Despite humans...
Soundstage for less - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 271/21/13 at 6:45pm
Ah, you're right sorry. I read that as "the K240's could be one to go for as it is closed". I'm too used to people saying that.post #18 of 271/22/13 at 12:02am
Quote:So what is the difference? I would like to clear up my understanding of the terminology while it's being discussed.
Me too. So I searched a bit. I found this:
Said ought about how soundstage is interpreted, though, even if the word is used five times!
It suggested "Sounds Like? An Audio Glossary Glossary:" from Stereophile:
http://www.stereophile.com/content/sounds-audio-glossary-glossary-r-sQuote:soundstaging, soundstage presentation The accuracy with which a reproducing system conveys audible information about the size, shape, and acoustical characteristics of the original recording space and the placement of the performers within it.
The explanations given in this thread say something different. Which one is right? My take would have been that from stereophile.
Okay, time to head off for work.
Edited by bedlam inside - 1/22/13 at 12:03ampost #19 of 271/22/13 at 3:38am
Binaural recording, you mean? This one is great:
'Explorations in Space and Time' from Chesky Records is a good one, too.
I had a listen. It does have a good soundstage, not really my cuppa musically...
So I searched "binaural" on Amazon. Momentarily I was well chuffed. Over, 1,600 Titles of binaural music - there has to be some I fancy!
Gor Blimey, I waded through pages of pages of crud that wanted to get me of drugs (no way - I'm enjoying these), become sexier (maybe), learn astral projection (you what!?), lose weight (why not, I'm packing a little extra), recover from my childhood abuse (I wasn't abused, we are Anglican not Catholic), increase my sex drive (REALLY!?), break my addiction to hardcore porn (I don't have that addiction but it sounds like fun to try out, I may need to get that increased sex drive thing with it to cope though) and taking the bird, experience the female orgasm (speechless, just speechless)...
I simply gave finding actual music up as a bad job at that point.
So I listened again to "Up Close" from the amazon sampler page straight on my setup and compared it to the Windham Hill Flamenco Album (which comes close in genre) with 3D Sound on my amplifier engaged. Of course that mp3 streaming from Amazon generally sounded rougher than a badger's hairy gonads. Even so I would say that there is not a lot between these two takes in soundstaging. Both have the soundstage outside me head and have nice width and depth for headphones.
So, let me see if I get this binaural malarkey right. Thinking ain't me strongest suit - me mom always told me not to think so much, or I'd get the lurgy.
Binaural Seedees are ones that give a right space presentation on headphones. Not having heard them on speakers, but noting the quip about it, seems they would do rather pants on speakers. So (almost) no-one makes them, as most people listen to speakers (except people who want to experience female orgasm apparently).
Normal Seedees are made for listening on speakers and so they sound pants on headphones but brill on speakers (this I can tell for meself).
And these gizmo's in the Phonitor Amplifier, my iFi Amplifier and that Parrot Zik Headset somehow turn normal Seedees into Binaural ones for headphone listening?
If so, this is absolutely brilliant, innit? Why don’t I see this much more often then? Is there more like this? I really would like something for my smartphone that does this. Maybe I'll have to get me a Sick Parrot?
Edited by bedlam inside - 1/22/13 at 4:34ampost #20 of 271/22/13 at 4:00ampost #21 of 271/22/13 at 4:06am
The K550 are really great at soundstage though they are over your budget, so I suggest you look at the Soundmagic HP100 for what i am told they should have some of the best soundstage for a closed headphone.post #22 of 271/22/13 at 4:10ampost #23 of 271/22/13 at 4:17am
I think most people here still have never seen or heard one: I've noticed you recommend it A LOT in many other threads, so it's high on my list of auditioning, but only if I ever find one!
Edited by GREQ - 1/22/13 at 4:18ampost #24 of 271/22/13 at 4:31ampost #25 of 271/22/13 at 5:52ampost #26 of 271/22/13 at 5:56am
That's the thing. Even in a big city like Frankfurt, there are only 2 big places to try properly out lots of headphones, and in the 3 years I've been here I still havn't even seen a singe Audio Technica headphone.
I only just saw some Ultrasones for the first time about 2 months ago, and they're German!
- Soundstage for less
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Tube warmth and distortion and it's pros 26 seconds ago
- › Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Appreciation Society 1 minute ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 2 minutes ago
- › VMODA M100 in White - Melbourne 2 minutes ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . dual Sabre ES9018K2M dacs . . please post... 3 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 3/29/2014:... 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 preview world tour--call for gift ideas for our awesome... 3 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 6 minutes ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 8 minutes ago
- › good recordings of Alison Krauss 8 minutes ago
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Shure SE215 by squallkiercosa
- › Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie... by squallkiercosa
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by LaPierre
- › Noble Audio FR by HideousPride
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by AManAnd88Keys
- › JBL J33 Premium In-Ear Headphones - Black by QyababAM
- › Sennheiser HD 580 by achelgeson
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by Flizz
- › Forza Audioworks Copper Series Cable by awry
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob