Second the DT 770s.
- productAKG K240 MKII Headphonestagged by System, 1/21/13
- productAKG K271 MKII Headphonestagged by System, 1/21/13
- productAKG K 550tagged by System, 1/21/13
- productAudio Technica ATH-AD700tagged by System, 1/21/13
- productBeyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphonestagged by System, 1/21/13
- productShure SRH 940tagged by System, 1/21/13
Related Forum Threads
- Already done research, would like opinions on ~$125 Over Ear Open-backed Headphones. Last post on 1/31/13 at 2:54am in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K 271 MK II or Shure SHR940? Last post on 11/18/12 at 9:13pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best mids over-the-ear open headphone for less than USD 300? Last post on 12/8/12 at 8:32am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for headphones for ~£200! Last post on 11/10/12 at 4:15pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for headphones/headset - $300-400 price range! Last post on 10/21/13 at 12:45pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/10/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
first thing first , if you have doubts , please let me clear them , these are some of the best $20 phones in this world . secondly , thanks to razzer001 , thanks man ,...
OVERVIEW The Effect Studio Thor Silver IEM Upgrade cable is the new flagship made from quad-braided pure UPOCC silver that has been cryo treated and put together with Cardas silver solder. The...
So, I've owned the 4.A and 4.ai as well as the ER4S and wanted to try something different. In retrospect, I almost pulled the trigger on the Noble 4, but I recall that the infamous dip with the...
These hurt my head almost right away. The good sound quality is not noticeable when my ears and head hurts. Having said that, the price is low and if you don't like them then just return them.
This will be a short review based on maybe on 12-15 hours of use. If you think that's not long enough you can skip it. I was a bit worried that this would be some cheap gimmicky toy amp because...
Soundstage for less - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 271/21/13 at 6:45pm
Ah, you're right sorry. I read that as "the K240's could be one to go for as it is closed". I'm too used to people saying that.post #18 of 271/22/13 at 12:02am
Quote:So what is the difference? I would like to clear up my understanding of the terminology while it's being discussed.
Me too. So I searched a bit. I found this:
Said ought about how soundstage is interpreted, though, even if the word is used five times!
It suggested "Sounds Like? An Audio Glossary Glossary:" from Stereophile:
http://www.stereophile.com/content/sounds-audio-glossary-glossary-r-sQuote:soundstaging, soundstage presentation The accuracy with which a reproducing system conveys audible information about the size, shape, and acoustical characteristics of the original recording space and the placement of the performers within it.
The explanations given in this thread say something different. Which one is right? My take would have been that from stereophile.
Okay, time to head off for work.
Edited by bedlam inside - 1/22/13 at 12:03ampost #19 of 271/22/13 at 3:38am
Binaural recording, you mean? This one is great:
'Explorations in Space and Time' from Chesky Records is a good one, too.
I had a listen. It does have a good soundstage, not really my cuppa musically...
So I searched "binaural" on Amazon. Momentarily I was well chuffed. Over, 1,600 Titles of binaural music - there has to be some I fancy!
Gor Blimey, I waded through pages of pages of crud that wanted to get me of drugs (no way - I'm enjoying these), become sexier (maybe), learn astral projection (you what!?), lose weight (why not, I'm packing a little extra), recover from my childhood abuse (I wasn't abused, we are Anglican not Catholic), increase my sex drive (REALLY!?), break my addiction to hardcore porn (I don't have that addiction but it sounds like fun to try out, I may need to get that increased sex drive thing with it to cope though) and taking the bird, experience the female orgasm (speechless, just speechless)...
I simply gave finding actual music up as a bad job at that point.
So I listened again to "Up Close" from the amazon sampler page straight on my setup and compared it to the Windham Hill Flamenco Album (which comes close in genre) with 3D Sound on my amplifier engaged. Of course that mp3 streaming from Amazon generally sounded rougher than a badger's hairy gonads. Even so I would say that there is not a lot between these two takes in soundstaging. Both have the soundstage outside me head and have nice width and depth for headphones.
So, let me see if I get this binaural malarkey right. Thinking ain't me strongest suit - me mom always told me not to think so much, or I'd get the lurgy.
Binaural Seedees are ones that give a right space presentation on headphones. Not having heard them on speakers, but noting the quip about it, seems they would do rather pants on speakers. So (almost) no-one makes them, as most people listen to speakers (except people who want to experience female orgasm apparently).
Normal Seedees are made for listening on speakers and so they sound pants on headphones but brill on speakers (this I can tell for meself).
And these gizmo's in the Phonitor Amplifier, my iFi Amplifier and that Parrot Zik Headset somehow turn normal Seedees into Binaural ones for headphone listening?
If so, this is absolutely brilliant, innit? Why don’t I see this much more often then? Is there more like this? I really would like something for my smartphone that does this. Maybe I'll have to get me a Sick Parrot?
Edited by bedlam inside - 1/22/13 at 4:34ampost #20 of 271/22/13 at 4:00ampost #21 of 271/22/13 at 4:06am
The K550 are really great at soundstage though they are over your budget, so I suggest you look at the Soundmagic HP100 for what i am told they should have some of the best soundstage for a closed headphone.post #22 of 271/22/13 at 4:10ampost #23 of 271/22/13 at 4:17am
I think most people here still have never seen or heard one: I've noticed you recommend it A LOT in many other threads, so it's high on my list of auditioning, but only if I ever find one!
Edited by GREQ - 1/22/13 at 4:18ampost #24 of 271/22/13 at 4:31ampost #25 of 271/22/13 at 5:52ampost #26 of 271/22/13 at 5:56am
That's the thing. Even in a big city like Frankfurt, there are only 2 big places to try properly out lots of headphones, and in the 3 years I've been here I still havn't even seen a singe Audio Technica headphone.
I only just saw some Ultrasones for the first time about 2 months ago, and they're German!
- Soundstage for less
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 28 seconds ago
- › M50s overrated? 1 minute ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 2 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 2 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production... 2 minutes ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 2 minutes ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 2 minutes ago
- › How hard are the DT880 250 ohms to drive anyway? Puzzling things... 2 minutes ago
- › Walkman NWZ F886 officialy announced!! [192khz/24bits] 3 minutes ago
- › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2, plus comparisons (Added ER4S) 3 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz Delta by suman134
- › Effect Audio Thor cable by average_joe
- › Heir Audio Tzar 350 by alpha421
- › Panasonic RP-HC720-K Over Ear Headphones Noise Canceling 95% by oostrov
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by tdockweiler
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by lexangl
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by TThorsen
- › EB92 In-Ear MicroFit Monitors by MadMusicJunkie
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by xoriac
- › Roland RH-200 Monitor Headphones by IEMagnet01
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe