New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

May 5th - Vancouver, BC Meet 2013 - Page 30  

post #436 of 461

they will ban the account if you're caught torrenting etc

post #437 of 461
Not immediately though lol, you can DL off site like mediafire as much as you want no prob
post #438 of 461
Not immediately though lol, you can DL off site like mediafire as much as you want no prob
post #439 of 461

Just don't do it if anyone needs internet, especially if it's my account... I need my wifi @ harbour ctr because I have class there!

post #440 of 461
Thread Starter 

Burned out and crashing for the day - anyone have any questions, will have to wait till tomorrow morning. I'll be leaving ~9-10AM.

post #441 of 461
Thread Starter 

I'll be leaving right about now - just in case - 

post #442 of 461
Thread Starter 

Well that was....lighter than I would have thought. :P

 

Uploading pics later, but someone brought a DSLR or something fancy that flashes and takes pictures, I haven't the slightest clue - their pics would probably do more justice. 

 

tl;dr:

- the DNA Stratus is the Captain America of headphone amplifiers. It's also heavy as fakku.

- I liked the LCD-3 more than I should have.

- Planx has patent-pended his Jergpads and no that's not dichotomous.

- AK100s are awesome.

- I take back everything (well most...) bad I said about the SRH1840s.

- inline is THE go-to guy for esoteric cans - MDR-F1s and AKGs galore! 

- HD800s are as awesome as ever but I do wish it could have been tari modded beforehand. 

- HE-500s are the most popular headphones in the world - fact. You heard it here folks. When you have 4 at a meet at the same time...

- The DNA Stratus is the Captain America of headphone amplifiers.

post #443 of 461
Thread Starter 
post #444 of 461

Holy smokes that's a good price

post #445 of 461

Thanks for putting this together guys - I regret never being able to stay for long.

 

For reference, the oddball stuff I brought was:

 

- "ebay" special Indeed G2 / Little Bear P1 / Bravo v2 12AU7 / 6933 Tube Headphone Amp

- Sony MDR-F1: the wide open ear-speaker ultralights

- AKG K270 dual-dynamic closed that mess with your head

 

I have no idea how I am going to top that for the next meet. Oh wait, there is one thing...

post #446 of 461
Thread Starter 

The Sonys - those little things, you would have never expected the bass and extension that came out of those. Amazing.

Dear god that amp was cute - didn't get to hear it though...next meet? (Still have to get on those ZX701s).

The AKGs were just amazing.


PS. My phone's SD card's being a [redacted] again, will have to attempt to post pics tomorrow.


Edited by TwinQY - 5/5/13 at 10:35pm
post #447 of 461

 

 

 

 

 

 

Only took a few pictures at the meet. Spend most of my time listening, hindsight should have lined up all the hps and took a nice picture

post #448 of 461

Yup ... heads up TwinQY, Girls Generation -- thanks much for doing all the background work to get this happening. It was cool to see other headfiers hanging out and checking out the gear.

 

Impressions:

-- Yeah the Sennheiser HD800 kicks ass but it sure is one picky baby. I did find out though -- the HD800 loves toobs (oh yeah, I do too cool.gif). For some reason it sounded fabulous out of all three tube amps I tried but was downright fussy with a solid state amp though not underpowered. And of course there was all the powder-dust magic inside the modded re-damped drivers -- very smooth and nice detail, none of that distant, aloof sound I had come to associate with the HD800.

-- What!!! Planx's slimline Headstage portable amp stomped on my Fiio E11, simply outstanding sound signature. Wish it was more accessible and of course at the same price point as an E11 (..cough, ah something's in my throat..)!

-- Yeah, the Hifiman HE-500s were holding court (lol) .. good to see such an outstanding phone getting mad love! Was really looking forward to having the 500 go toe-to-toe with an HE-6 though -- maybe next time.

-- And the feather-light champion award goes to -- the Sony MDR-F1 - and they sounded good too -- they simply felt so good to wear.

-- Some love for the HD598s - nice detail retrieval, but I still haven't quite gotten used to the r-g-b retrieval, umm....

-- And speaking of colour -- what's with the baby blue on the DNA stuff -- for gear so good and outstanding, um looks become part of the equation -- can enhance or distract. But then since this is custom order stuff one could always order the pina-colada --- oh, shucks that reminds me of those pineapple jokes TwinQY was throwing around.

 

Pics coming later - and maybe more...

post #449 of 461
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terja View Post

-- Yeah, the Hifiman HE-500s were holding court (lol) .. good to see such an outstanding phone getting mad love! Was really looking forward to having the 500 go toe-to-toe with an HE-6 though -- maybe next time.

...

-- And speaking of colour -- what's with the baby blue on the DNA stuff -- for gear so good and outstanding, um looks become part of the equation -- can enhance or distract. But then since this is custom order stuff one could always order the pina-colada --- oh, shucks that reminds me of those pineapple jokes TwinQY was throwing around.

 

Pics coming later - and maybe more...

1) Yeah was hoping on that too...sad that it didn't pan out. Next year!

2) If I could've found a nearby market that sold pineapples I totally would have posed with one.

post #450 of 461

Note:All comments below are my immediate impressions and not my final say in how I think any of the equipment I tried sounded. Hopefully none of you don't take offense to it, I don't mean to

Quote:
Originally Posted by inline79 View Post

Thanks for putting this together guys - I regret never being able to stay for long.

 

For reference, the oddball stuff I brought was:

 

- "ebay" special Indeed G2 / Little Bear P1 / Bravo v2 12AU7 / 6933 Tube Headphone Amp

- Sony MDR-F1: the wide open ear-speaker ultralights 

- AKG K270 dual-dynamic closed that mess with your head

 

I have no idea how I am going to top that for the next meet. Oh wait, there is one thing...

Those were all great sounding. The sony ones were particularly impressive.

 

I used the Little Bear P-1 with the HE-500 and it didn't really sound under-powered but it did sound very different in comparison to all the other amps that was in the meet.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinQY View Post

Well that was....lighter than I would have thought. :P

 

Uploading pics later, but someone brought a DSLR or something fancy that flashes and takes pictures, I haven't the slightest clue - their pics would probably do more justice. 

 

tl;dr:

- the DNA Stratus is the Captain America of headphone amplifiers. It's also heavy as fakku.

- I liked the LCD-3 more than I should have.

- Planx has patent-pended his Jergpads and no that's not dichotomous.

- AK100s are awesome.

- I take back everything (well most...) bad I said about the SRH1840s.

- inline is THE go-to guy for esoteric cans - MDR-F1s and AKGs galore! 

- HD800s are as awesome as ever but I do wish it could have been tari modded beforehand. 

- HE-500s are the most popular headphones in the world - fact. You heard it here folks. When you have 4 at a meet at the same time...

- The DNA Stratus is the Captain America of headphone amplifiers.

DNA Stratus+Matrix Sabre sounded really good...like really good with all the headphones it connected to. I didn't even know the HE-500 could sound that good. I think the HE-500(Planx ver.) sounded the best out of all the orthos from my brief listening tries although I think the bass were much better with both the LCDs. With the HD-800(modded from what I remember), the vocals were too close for comfort for me. Not saying they were bad but that was the immediate character I got out of it.

 

Will see if I can replicate the Planx Jergpads, they practically had the velours' sound signature and has that pleather comfort. No hollowness in the vocals at all and sounded probably more airier than the velours.

 

Hifiman EF-5 turned out to be a bit more musical than Woo Audio WA3 (used Brown Calyx as DAC for both amps) in comparing them using the HE-500. The custom Helix cable for the HE-500 didn't really reveal an immediate difference in sound. Maybe with quieter and much more focused listening I would get to hear a difference.

 

I concluded Bifrost+Lyr is overkill for Shure 1840 in that I didn't really hear much difference in comparison to using the Magni+Modi. However, the HE-500 sounded better imo using the bigger schiit stack.

 

Lisa Portible Amp+Power Supply (Modi as DAC) drove the HE-500 quite fine and I quite enjoyed my listening session with them.

 

Musical Paradise sounded great with the HE-500 using the pre-amp thingy, I think better than my Magni/Modi stack. Grado sr80i with the same amp sounded good almost the same as the Shure 1840 but not as good in soundstage, pretty much the same in terms of bass though.

 

Emotiva Mini-X A100 was the first amp I tried, it powered the HE-500 quite differently and pretty much made me rediscover it...then rediscovered it again with the Stratus+Sabre -.-

 

Last amp/dac I tried was the Audio-GD Compass as a DAC and Amp. I really liked it with the HE-500 causing me to have a longer listening session than I should lol. I used it to power Sony MDR-F1, which again was really impressive(I want one now -.-), and the AKG K270, which I think sounded interesting but something was not right but I don't know from my brief listen.

 

Fun meet, thanks to all the put it together. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
This thread is locked