- 73 Posts. Joined 1/2013
- Select All Posts By This User
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 1/21/13
Related Forum Threads
- 1st Greek Headphone Festival Last post on 9/14/14 at 4:48pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Is it true that a portable amp can boost the bass on a pair of headphones? Last post on 7/29/13 at 10:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
- 6SN7--continuing on a new thread Last post on 3/22/13 at 11:11am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Mysterious 12AU7/ECC82 Vacuum Tubes Last post on 4/7/13 at 1:22pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [Question] Why don't people separate pre-amp with headphone amplifiers? Last post on 1/21/13 at 12:20pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Cayin for providing me with a review sample of their new flagship N6 DAP which is currently available on Amazon and from other retailers like...
After picking these up from the Sony Store about a year ago, I can say that these are definitely not worth the $350-$400 price tag. Luckily, I picked them up for around $180 and to me, this seems...
First of all the reason I rate the SE215 5/5* is primarily because of the value it presents under the $100 mark. You will be extremely hard pressed to find a pair of IEMs at this price considering...
I'm all about best use on a budget for a specific person and lifestyle. In my case, the Jaybird Bluebud X's were fantastic. You can check out my review on head fi here, but I also have an older...
SENNHEISER URBANITE XL REVIEW Full sized headphones haven't been part of my usage options for quite some time now. I used to own a Sony MDR-1R but despite the excellent comfort and decent sound my...
- Headphone Impedance
can I use retro amps?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Yes you should get excellent quality sound and probably better then alot of current stuff out there for all your computer audio needs from old retro amps (recievers). Just remember it will only be in stereo none of that fancy and overhyped at least to me surround sound etc. I still remember the first time i plugged a Sony amp to my computer and hooked up my Koss Pro-4AA headphones to it to play a game of QUAKE back in 1996 and it was the most surreal immersive experiance i have ever had as i heard my first pc game through headphones. If not for my very old Koss headphones giving up the ghost a few months later i probably would have never gone back to speakers.
Happy audio shopping :D
They certainly can. Though there are some caveats. The main one being that many receivers drove their front panel headphone jacks off the speaker outputs through some relatively high value resistors to help prevent blowing up your headphones. This can work quite well with orthos such as the Audez'e and HiFiMAN, but can be problematic with a lot of dynamic headphones.
Here's a thread I think you'll find interesting:
On a side note, the amps I am eying seem to point out that they have Dolby Pro Logic or some surround technology, so hopefully I wont be missing on anything. Not that I care much for surround sound and stuff, I have speakers for that, its for listening to music, so I think even stereo with a good pair of headphones should be great and offer quite a immerse experience.
Never owned orthos but I am planing to use some good headphones that are in the DT880 level.
So all these years I used the front HD audio ports to connect my headphones while my speakers connected to the Green hole of my xfi sound card. But now when I get a nice amp should I use a splitter cable off ebay and connect both the speaker and the 3.5mm to rca leading to the amp? or will that cause any issues? strains on the sound card or sound quality?
I should be okay with regular ebay RCA to 3.5mm and a 3.5mm Y cables, right? or should I get any higher quality stuff with fancy connectors?
- can I use retro amps?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Why do Audio technica m50x and bose quietcomfort headphones make me... 10 seconds ago
- › She is Called Esther ---SOUNDAWARE New Portable Player Thread 24 seconds ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 27 seconds ago
- › Should I use Loudness Equalization to fix low PC volume? 1 minute ago
- › Help needed with Chord Hugo. 2 minutes ago
- › Dunu TITAN 1 -- Titanium-Coated Diaphragm "Half In-Ear" Earphones 2 minutes ago
- › Testing the claim: "I can hear differences between lossless formats." 2 minutes ago
- › MCINTOSH LABS INTRODUCES NEW HEADPHONE AMP MODEL MHA 100 3 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH1540 Review 3 minutes ago
- › Yamaha HPH-MT220 Vs. PRO 500 3 minutes ago
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by twister6
- › Sony XBA-4SL by cuiter23
- › Shure SE215 by cuiter23
- › Soundpeats Qy7 Mini Lightweight Wireless Stereo Sports/running... by ActiveTechREV
- › Sennheiser Urbanite XL Black Over-Ear Headphones by d marc0
- › HIFIMAN RE300a(Black) InLine Control Earphone by mark2410
- › HIFIMAN RE300h Earphone - Audiophile Earbud by mark2410
- › FIDUE A71 Dual Dynamic Drivers Hi-Fi Earphones by DJScope
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by CJ09
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by ActiveTechREV
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3