Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › does it get any better than the beyerdynamic t5p?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

does it get any better than the beyerdynamic t5p?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

hi everyone, i have been pondering on some headphones. and i want to look into some high end headphones that can be driven out of basically anything, preferably a closed can. i remember the beyer t5ps being pretty ******* good. is there any non iem that can fight this?

post #2 of 9

it depends... If you are looking for bassier headphones you will certainly find ones, otherwise it should be a close call, but you can look at Beyerdynamic t1 or more expensive senn HD800's.


Edited by SmOgER - 1/20/13 at 4:39am
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 

nope those wont work since they are not able to be driven well without an amp.

post #4 of 9

Well, when walking around this price range, getting AMP shouldn't be a big problem already biggrin.gif

You will definitely benefit from one on any high-end HP's.


Edited by SmOgER - 1/20/13 at 8:08am
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 

yes, but while i know that, im looking for something that can be driven by basically anything, like what i stated at the start of the thread. i have the thunderpants which are quite hard to drive and now i want to get something that is super easy to drive

post #6 of 9
Some people would equate buying a T5P or anything in that price range and not using a decent amp to be like buying a Ferrari just to drive to the grocery store down the block on occasion. Sure you can do it, but why? From what I've heard Audio-technica headphones are the least picky about amplification for the high level of sound quality. Something like the AD900X or AD200X for open with good soundstage or A900X or A1000X/A2000X for closed headphone.
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo898 View Post

hi everyone, i have been pondering on some headphones. and i want to look into some high end headphones that can be driven out of basically anything, preferably a closed can. i remember the beyer t5ps being pretty ******* good. is there any non iem that can fight this?

 

Yes. Look to the Fostex TH900, Ultrasone Edition 10 and 8.

post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo898 View Post

hi everyone, i have been pondering on some headphones. and i want to look into some high end headphones that can be driven out of basically anything, preferably a closed can. i remember the beyer t5ps being pretty ******* good. is there any non iem that can fight this?

With a high end headphones an amplifier is a must to get a proper performance out of them, otherwise you end up paying 100 % price for only some 80 to 90 % of what headphones can do. Use a portable amplifier or buy mid level sound quality headphones. On the other hand even the middle audio quality level headphones benefit from being plugged in to an amplifier, so choose the low level audio quality headphones. Fostex T50p are a good choice. low level price for mid level sound.

post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzraelDarkangel View Post

Some people would equate buying a T5P or anything in that price range and not using a decent amp to be like buying a Ferrari just to drive to the grocery store down the block on occasion. Sure you can do it, but why? From what I've heard Audio-technica headphones are the least picky about amplification for the high level of sound quality. Something like the AD900X or AD200X for open with good soundstage or A900X or A1000X/A2000X for closed headphone.

 

^ He meant AD2000X, btw.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorin View Post

With a high end headphones an amplifier is a must to get a proper performance out of them, otherwise you end up paying 100 % price for only some 80 to 90 % of what headphones can do.

 

Not true. Whether or not a headphone is high-end has nothing to do with how efficient it is.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorin View Post

Fostex T50p are a good choice. low level price for mid level sound.

 

OP already said he has the Thunderpants and that he thinks they're too hard to drive for what he's looking for.

 

OP, let me start by apologizing for all of these posts (and future posts) claiming that wanting a high-end headphone that doesn't require an amp is stupid. It's not stupid. And yes, there are several out there. The T5p is probably a pretty good choice. Is there any way you could audition them to see if they are to your liking? That is always ideal, if possible. There's also the T70p.

 

The Audio-Technicas AzraelDarkangel mentioned are worth looking into.

 

The Denon AH-D7000 are supposed to be really easy to drive but they are a bit hard to find now that they're discontinued.

 

The Ultrasones that have been mentioned are worth looking into as well although the Edition 10 isn't very highly regarded for its sound quality. I would instead look at the Edition 8, Signature Pro, and Signature DJ.

 

The Fostex TH900 are also worth looking into, as is the forthcoming TH600.

 

Others will have more recommendations of what to look into. Just ignore all the people claiming that if you want a high-end portable headphone you'll need to carry around a backpack full of source/amp gear. tongue_smile.gif


Edited by devhen - 2/6/13 at 6:33am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › does it get any better than the beyerdynamic t5p?