Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Do I need a AMP + DAC or Just an AMP if ill be playing through Galaxy S3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do I need a AMP + DAC or Just an AMP if ill be playing through Galaxy S3

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

Im not sure whether to get something like the Fiio e17 or maybe just get an amp only e11 or jds labs cmoy.

 

I know that the samsung galaxy s3 wolf chips aren't that bad and was wondering whether an amp+dac combo was really needed?

 

This is for portable only as ill probably be getting a JDS Labs O2 + DAC for my home listening later in the year.

 

My Ultrasone Pro 750 badly need some amplication, useless with just my mobile

post #2 of 10
From the sounds of it, you only need an Amp for now and the E11 or Cmoy are definitely both solid choices for your phone. You couldn't connect your phone to a DAC function like on the Fiio E07K or E17 anyway (you can only do this on your computer, unless you want to mess with some crazy wire setup). Plus, you're getting a desktop DAC anyway, which you could connect one of these amps to, while still remaining flexible!

You would want a line-out wire though but I'm not sure what they offer for Samsung phones. Maybe someone else can answer that one?
post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bngbox View Post

From the sounds of it, you only need an Amp for now and the E11 or Cmoy are definitely both solid choices for your phone. You couldn't connect your phone to a DAC function like on the Fiio E07K or E17 anyway (you can only do this on your computer, unless you want to mess with some crazy wire setup). Plus, you're getting a desktop DAC anyway, which you could connect one of these amps to, while still remaining flexible!

You would want a line-out wire though but I'm not sure what they offer for Samsung phones. Maybe someone else can answer that one?

looks like ill probably get the e11 as the cmoy is hard to get hold of here in UK

 

Glad i posted this thread because i didn't know that my phone could not connect to a DAC function, you just saved me a few quid so thanks for that!

 

Not too sure myself about the line-out.  Can someone confirm whether the e11 will work with the s3 please.

post #4 of 10
You need to get one of the docks with line out. There is a desktop and smart dock on samsungs website. As of now they don't have a dedicated line out solution for gs3 or note2.
post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukemon View Post

You need to get one of the docks with line out. There is a desktop and smart dock on samsungs website. As of now they don't have a dedicated line out solution for gs3 or note2.

ah crap so i can't just plug my amp into my s3 via 3.5 jack???

 

must be a portable solution, these docks hardly seem like something i can carry about??

post #6 of 10

Well you could use the 3.5 -> 3.5, but the LOD would definitely give you better quality audio output from your phone!

post #7 of 10

I had perhaps better step in before any more misinformation goes on in this thread.

 

YES the Galaxy S3 can work with a USB DAC/amp combo using the external DAC. No "crazy wires", just a USB OTG adapter (which can be purchased for a couple of bucks or so). Check the Portable Sources forum in the "Android phones and USB audio" thread to see the dozens of USB DACs and DAC/amp combos that are confirmed with the S3. I personally use the Apex Glacier, RSA Intruder, Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII and HeadAmp Pico DAC/amp with mine (and previously the E7 also).

 

As mentioned, there is no line out on the S3 (apart from out of the desktop dock). If you just get an amp you will be double-amping the S3 (I have no opinion on whether that it is a good, bad, or indifferent thing).

 

Please people, a little fact checking before posting doesn't hurt - there are hundreds of posts about this here at Head-Fi.


Edited by NZtechfreak - 1/21/13 at 12:09am
post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 
Ok well I've purchased a c&c bh amp from eBay St the weekend so I've gone down the road amp only route.

I'll figure out what cabling I need when it arrives
post #9 of 10

Not really any special cabling required if it's amp only, you'll have to go from phone headphone jack to amp - likely 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable is all. 

 

Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier so you could make a decision on correct information. Hope you'll be happy with your amp anyway. 

post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peco View Post

Ok well I've purchased a c&c bh amp from eBay St the weekend so I've gone down the road amp only route.

I'll figure out what cabling I need when it arrives

 

May be you should use a line out adapter (?) to bypass the internal amp and avoid a double amping.

http://www.buy.com/prod/samsung-oem-micro-usb-male-to-3-5mm-female-adapter/227034150.html?listingId=194384859

http://www.head-fi.org/t/645086/samsung-galaxy-s3-and-hd598s#post_9033830

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones-accessories/EMC43UDAMEBSTD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhyjW1xg_jU

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=27047514&postcount=27

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/450#post_8764711

 

 

1000

 

1000

 

 

Once getting ODAC + O2, you could compare the "S3 + C&C BH amp" rig bypassing the internal S3 amp with the "S3 + ODAC + C&C BH" rig bypassing the internal S3 DAC and the internal S3 amp.


Edited by DanBa - 1/21/13 at 3:24am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Do I need a AMP + DAC or Just an AMP if ill be playing through Galaxy S3