I’m new to Head Fi. I’ve been doing some reading and have auditioned headphones. I've ordered a Grado i225.
I've narrowed my amp choices between the Fiio 17 and a Little Dot 1 . So, I'm trying to decide if I want to start out with a desk amp, a portable or both . But, I’m definitely open to other ideas.
I listen to a range of music, but mostly heavy rock. My music preferences in order:
- 80-90% Metal, punk/hardcore, prog, psychedelic, and hard rock
- Some alternative/indie rock, singer songwriters (I.e., Joe Henry, Black Keys, Fiona Apple, etc.)
- Classic rock
- Blues, accoustic, jazz (Pat Metheny, Miles Davis, Diana Krall, etc), a little new age (Secret Garden, Lerena McKennett), easy listening (Sinatra, etc.)
- A sprinkling of symphonic music, soundtracks etc.
I’m interested in investing in a rig that will give me good sound on my Ipod and do some listening in a designated computer room from a CD player/stereo system and computer. But, probably 70% of the time on an Ipod.
I’ve ordered a pair of Gradoi225
So, now for some amp choices ? I don't think it makes a lot of sense to throw big money into my first amp.
After a lot of reading here-the Fiio E17 and Little Dot look like winners:
- E17 for the portability and versitility/DAC, and/or a Little Dot +1 (or other Little Dot model) as a desk amp (which I see have garnered favorable review among Grado owners) OR
- E17 paired with E9 Or
- E17 only, the next month or two commit to a $300ish desk amp (Schiit, Belarri 540, Hifiman, etc.) Or lastly,
- Keep it simple-go with one (E17 or LD) and put extra $ into a second pair of cans later on with a different set of sound values (maybe larger soundstage, more all-rounder) to provide an alternative and complement my 225-HE 400/500, AKG, Ultrasone, etc.
I’m soliciting advice from some of the sages here on my first amp set up. I very much appreicate the wealth of information you all provide. I'm learning a lot!