Hey everyone i am in a bit of a quandary. I am able to get my hands on a pair of HD 700's for around 700, but i am also able to get a pair of HD 800's for about a grand. My problem is stemming from my amplification. i currently have the little dot 1+ and that is coming from the Shiit Modi, with my desktop being a source. I have heard that people would rather listen to a pair of 800's with poor amplification than the 700's with proper. Given the set-up i am using which would be a better idea to get? Looking at this situation now, not in a perspective that i can spend more money on amps in the future.
Related Forum Threads
- Headphone Collections Last post on 6/8/14 at 7:12pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD800 - Pink Floyd Time - Very Shrill Bells Last post on 2/20/14 at 12:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Would the HD700s be a good addition to existing HDVD800, HD800 and HD650 setup? Last post on 1/10/14 at 12:28pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Buying the Sennheiser HD700 or HD800. HELP Last post on 4/2/14 at 9:42am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Sennheiser's Own Balanced Cables for HD 600/650, HD 700, and HD 800 Available This Week Last post on 8/9/14 at 2:55am in Head-Fi Network & Industry News
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
This is a good amplifier in my limited experience, *but*, it might not better than some of the leading solid-state competitors in this price range ($500-600). I haven't compared it too, for...
Wonderful headset. Very underrated because razer gets a lot of hate for being mainstream
The Awei Q9s are really bang for bucks! You can't go wrong with these! Unless you have tiny ears... Packaging: the packaging is standard. It brings the S/M/L tips and a shirt-clip. However, the...
I just got these in from Koss today and initial impressions are incredibly positive. These are Koss' second best headphone available that I have tried (DJ100, DJ200, PRO4AA, PRO4AAT, PRO4AAAT, and...
Comfort and build quality these would not look out of place at £600. Out of all the headphones I have tried these have the best overall sound which works with every type of music and overall sound...
HD-800 VS HD-700/ Amp Problempost #1 of 171/18/13 at 4:55pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 171/18/13 at 6:43pmpost #3 of 171/18/13 at 7:06pmThread Starter
im sorry let me just clarify i eventually will upgrade in the future but on my current setup which headphone would work the best or if none at all and its just not worth it as of now?post #4 of 171/18/13 at 7:10pm
Get the HD800's - fairly easy to drive at 300ohms, you'll be fine out of the LD until you can get a better amp. No reason to settle for a fourth-rate can that costs second-tier pricespost #5 of 171/18/13 at 7:18pmThread Starterpost #6 of 171/19/13 at 1:38am
I' ll go for the HD700 and spend the extra cash on a better amplifier. The HD800 is technically a wonderful can but after numerous auditions I never been tempted to buy one.
I had already read here that the HD700 was an overpriced and flawed headphone but after a quick listen in a shop, I ended up returning to the shop the next day to spend more time with it and bought it.
It is a very subjective hobby so first person experience should be the deciding factor.post #7 of 171/19/13 at 7:33ampost #8 of 171/19/13 at 9:01amThread Starter
i had them for a short while and got rid of them for something else and i still keep going back in my mind to they way they sounded and want them back. Although i have never been able to listen to the HD 800's tho...post #9 of 171/19/13 at 6:13pmQuote:
just get the hd 800s, you can worry about the amp later, you'll be fine for now. the hd 800s will grow with you and scale up as you improve you setup in the future.post #10 of 171/20/13 at 6:13ampost #11 of 171/20/13 at 10:59pm
The problem is, even if you do get the HD700, wouldn't you be itching to get a better amp any ways? Then after the better amp, you'd be wondering:"hmmm... I've got a better amp, now I wonder what the HD800 would sound l with this setup... "
See what I'm trying to say?? Never settle for less when you can have the better.post #12 of 171/21/13 at 4:15amQuote:
What are the tiers for prices?post #13 of 171/21/13 at 9:19pmThread Starterpost #14 of 171/23/13 at 11:55am
I have both the hd700 and hd800. Which one I listen to depends on the music: hd700 for rock/pop, and the hd800 for jazz and classical. The 700's pair very well with the Lyr, it tames their fearsome treble quite nicely, and is great for rocking-out. The 800's need a very good amp, like a Zana Deux, to sound their best. Even with that, they can sound dry and analytical when playing rock/pop.post #15 of 171/23/13 at 3:33pm
The HD800 is finicky with amping, you can't just drop the most expensive out there with the HD800 and expect it to sound good, you need to audition and listen to gear combinations that you may find liking. It is an entirely different beast compared to the HD700, that being said the HD700 are much easier to amp both power and synergy wise than the HD800's.
- HD-800 VS HD-700/ Amp Problem
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600 6 seconds ago
- › Ihifi 770 & 770c Thread 25 seconds ago
- › Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread 49 seconds ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread 1 minute ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Post Your Photography Here #2 (new dial-up 800X600 friendly) 2 minutes ago
- › The Member-Judged Fine Art Head-Fi Gallery 4 minutes ago
- › Need advice on what to get to power AKG K7XX 4 minutes ago
- › Will an extension cable reduce sound quality? 5 minutes ago
- › Lehmann Rhinelander by jdpark
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by kigisaru
- › AWEI ES-Q9 Super Bass Wooden Earphones Headphones Headsets Fiber... by Mellowship
- › Koss Pro4S Full Size Studio Headphones, Black with Silver Trim by Zombie_X
- › Shure SRH1540 Headphones by nicholars
- › Sony MDREX10LP/BLK In-Ear Headphones by originalgusbus
- › Shure Sound Isolating Earphone SE315 Hi-Definition Micro Speaker... by acain
- › Beyerdynamic DTX 102 iE In-Ear Headphones (Silver) by Zero Decibels
- › Hidizs AP100 Portable HiFi Audio Player in Black / Silver White by YoYo JoKeR
- › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM by heovuitinh
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)