Hey everyone i am in a bit of a quandary. I am able to get my hands on a pair of HD 700's for around 700, but i am also able to get a pair of HD 800's for about a grand. My problem is stemming from my amplification. i currently have the little dot 1+ and that is coming from the Shiit Modi, with my desktop being a source. I have heard that people would rather listen to a pair of 800's with poor amplification than the 700's with proper. Given the set-up i am using which would be a better idea to get? Looking at this situation now, not in a perspective that i can spend more money on amps in the future.
Related Forum Threads
- Most Comfortable full sized Headphones Last post on 4/2/13 at 9:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Any place in NYC for auditioning HD700 and HD800? Last post on 1/31/13 at 9:12am in Headphones (full-size)
- Good headphones to pair with tube amps Last post on 1/16/13 at 12:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for best headphone/amp/Dac for 2500 or so. Help! Last post on 12/24/12 at 1:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Could use help - selling my LCD2s to get?? Last post on 11/12/12 at 9:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)
Edited on 12/28/12
- Comparing headphones: Sennheiser's HD 800, HD 600, HD 25-1 and...Edited on 5/27/12
Along with the summary below, I have posted a comparison review of the MA900, Audio Technica AD900X and AD1000X...
This little unit is everything I hoped it would be. It makes a big improvement in sound over my Fiio E7 through my Sennheiser HD558s.
The Logitech Z-2300 were a decent pair of speakers. A few friend had them and I was enthused when they played them. Also they were made at a time where it's said that fitting the most quality...
Along with the summary below, I have posted a comparison review of the AD900X, AD1000X and MA900...
Along with the summary below, I have posted a Youtube review of the Sony XBA-1. If you like the video, please check out my channel for more reviews Summary BUILD The XBA-1 is...
- Comparing headphones: Sennheiser's HD 800, HD 600, HD 25-1 and...
HD-800 VS HD-700/ Amp Problem
Gear mentioned in this thread:
im sorry let me just clarify i eventually will upgrade in the future but on my current setup which headphone would work the best or if none at all and its just not worth it as of now?
Get the HD800's - fairly easy to drive at 300ohms, you'll be fine out of the LD until you can get a better amp. No reason to settle for a fourth-rate can that costs second-tier prices
I' ll go for the HD700 and spend the extra cash on a better amplifier. The HD800 is technically a wonderful can but after numerous auditions I never been tempted to buy one.
I had already read here that the HD700 was an overpriced and flawed headphone but after a quick listen in a shop, I ended up returning to the shop the next day to spend more time with it and bought it.
It is a very subjective hobby so first person experience should be the deciding factor.
i had them for a short while and got rid of them for something else and i still keep going back in my mind to they way they sounded and want them back. Although i have never been able to listen to the HD 800's tho...
just get the hd 800s, you can worry about the amp later, you'll be fine for now. the hd 800s will grow with you and scale up as you improve you setup in the future.
The problem is, even if you do get the HD700, wouldn't you be itching to get a better amp any ways? Then after the better amp, you'd be wondering:"hmmm... I've got a better amp, now I wonder what the HD800 would sound l with this setup... "
See what I'm trying to say?? Never settle for less when you can have the better.
What are the tiers for prices?
I have both the hd700 and hd800. Which one I listen to depends on the music: hd700 for rock/pop, and the hd800 for jazz and classical. The 700's pair very well with the Lyr, it tames their fearsome treble quite nicely, and is great for rocking-out. The 800's need a very good amp, like a Zana Deux, to sound their best. Even with that, they can sound dry and analytical when playing rock/pop.
The HD800 is finicky with amping, you can't just drop the most expensive out there with the HD800 and expect it to sound good, you need to audition and listen to gear combinations that you may find liking. It is an entirely different beast compared to the HD700, that being said the HD700 are much easier to amp both power and synergy wise than the HD800's.
- HD-800 VS HD-700/ Amp Problem
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review 4 seconds ago
- › The diary entries of a little girl who is now 30! ~ Part 2 1 minute ago
- › digiZoid ZO2.3 Impression & Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › MDR-1R or Momentum - can't choose, please help! 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps 4 minutes ago
- › Would you keep the Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 or Sennheiser HD 650 or Both? 6 minutes ago
- › WORST headphone you ever heard? 6 minutes ago
- › Adelaide meet 7 minutes ago
- › W/Rap Sucks 2.0..............................Rap/HipHop... 8 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by a_recording
- › Sony XBA-40/N Gold | Quad Balanced Armature In-Ear Headphones... by a_recording
- › Sony XBA-4SL by a_recording
- › Sony MDRMA900 Over the Head Style Headphones by a_recording
- › Aune T1 by teb1013
- › Logitech Speaker System Z623 by D3Seeker
- › Audio-technica AIR Dynamic Headphones Ath-ad900x by a_recording
- › Sony XBA-1 Balanced Armature Headphones-1 Driver by a_recording
- › Sony MDR-XB900 | EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese Import) by a_recording
- › AIAIAI TMA-1 Studio Headphones by a_recording
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Power Corner) by joe