Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › New HD 800 very different than the old HD 800
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New HD 800 very different than the old HD 800 - Page 4

post #46 of 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by myc View Post

 

OK I've pulled the trigger. Mine S/N is 2**88 .. ... I can't judge about the bass (I've heard it before in a store, long time ago).. I just unboxing it and no proper amp at the moment. I am in Japan at the moment and will be here for the next few months. Sorry to hijack the thread but is there anybody live in Japan in this high end subforum? What is suggested amp for this baby other than HP-A8 which is available here (and cheaper of course just like the HD 800 I got just now :D) . I don't know if I can get nice tube amp here. Will send you guys later that kind of Frequency Graph from Senn.

 

 

Hmm... that's strange.

As a comparison: Yours above being a 2X,XXX model ; and here is mine being a 12,XXX model:

 

 

 

If you enlarge the image you can clearly see that the 6k peak on mine is noticeably lower and evolving more smoothly then your newer model - I thought it's the other way around as the newer ones supossedly improved in that matter. The lower frequencys are a bit louder too on mine, just hitting the 5db mark.

 

Interesting! basshead.gif


Edited by Kenion - 1/24/13 at 8:17pm
post #47 of 352

As I've been saying. It's all random - normal production and measurement variances - as opposed to new or old. This old and new nonsense really needs to be put to an end.

post #48 of 352

Yes, I agree to that.

As you say: normal production and measurement variances.

 

The diffrences are minor thus I think you won't hear the diffrence "immediately" anyway :)

However, some people still consider buying a new pair of HD800's just because of their serial number and their change of frequencies.


Edited by Kenion - 1/24/13 at 8:27pm
post #49 of 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_head View Post

It is very easy to mess up the earlier Anax mods and cause a lack of openness, as has been well admitted by its creator(s).  That is one reason the current version is delayed- the new template (hopefully) will be more idiot-proof and have more uniform results.

 

I think the Anax mod does more to change the sound in a way that I prefer than any cable change I've tried, the same way I think taking proper care to room treatment in a speaker rig is an order of magnitude more important than cabling changes (yes, I've spent thousands on a few brands through the cableco's program, not speaking as someone who hasn't tried both ways.) 

 

I know people who actually really like the sound of live rooms with more reflections than a house of mirrors though, so I guess this is all up to preference.

 

Yes, there were several cases where improperly applied mods of the Anax version 1.0 resulted in even worse sonic characteristics (via listening tests and confirmed with measurements). Because of this, the 3.0 mods will likely not be made public. As I've mentioned, the 2.0 mods are out and the cutting templates for that are public. Use of different, but even "similar" materials, could yield different results.
 

post #50 of 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

+1 on that.

I got a pair on the way from ColorWare (my second pair).  Does anyone know if they use newer HD800s?
They do. I got #16021 when 16k was what people ordering normal HD800s were getting as well.
post #51 of 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by third_eye View Post

Yes, I have absolutely no issue with lack of bass or shrieking highs with my HD800. In fact, I did the mod for fun to see if it would make any difference and it did not. My serial is in the 17xxx range purchased about 4 months ago. I can literally feel my head start to compress with the start of Angel by Massive Attack on these things.
 


I've got S/N 13437 and it's the same thing - angel is absolutely amazing on this headphone!

 

I run it with a permanent +2/3 dB bass boost and there is absolutely no harshness or peakiness at all.

 

For me there was a very significant burn-in though - I noticed improved bass response, less harshness and a more coherent sound after about 100h of aggressive burn in.

post #52 of 352

I was under the impression that the HD 800 was a new headphone in its own right. Am I wrong? 

post #53 of 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckMan1 View Post

I was under the impression that the HD 800 was a new headphone in its own right. Am I wrong? 

What do you mean?

post #54 of 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by CybDev View Post


I'm not sure I have a favourite yet, I'm in the process of finding an amp/dac for them as we speak .
Like I mentioned earlier: http://www.head-fi.org/t/645367/lcd-3-hd-800-amp/30#post_9086398

I don't think anyone around here has Luxman products so I doubt I'll have a chance to compare any of those to the ones I listed in the thread above.

Well I read the old threads.. it seems for SS the favorite amp was Luxman P1-u.

 

For Tubes there are many recommendations, but most of them arehard to get here, or if it's availabe, they're much more expensive.

 

I read that HP-A8 add more airiness and sounded more 3D, that's why I'm interested in getting it, because the imaging of HD 800 already incredible. I want to find amp that even improving this area. 

 

The amp in HP-A8 is decent according to some review. It's a plus for me, no need to buy separated DAC + Amp.

 

I think there are much more alternatives in Europe.


Edited by myc - 1/25/13 at 3:36am
post #55 of 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenion View Post

Yes, I agree to that.

As you say: normal production and measurement variances.

 

The diffrences are minor thus I think you won't hear the diffrence "immediately" anyway :)

However, some people still consider buying a new pair of HD800's just because of their serial number and their change of frequencies.

Please note that it's the target one in the manual.. I'm still waiting to get the certificate from Sennheiser. 

 

But seriously, if the graphs are way too different, the sound characteristic must be very different. 

 

I think we need to wait for OP to compare S/N > 20xxxx to older one. 


Edited by myc - 1/25/13 at 3:44am
post #56 of 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by myc View Post

Well I read the old threads.. it seems for SS the favorite amp was Luxman P1-u.

For Tubes there are many recommendations, but most of them arehard to get here, or if it's availabe, they're much more expensive.

I read that HP-A8 add more airiness and sounded more 3D, that's why I'm interested in getting it, because the imaging of HD 800 already incredible. I want to find amp that even improving this area. 

The amp in HP-A8 is decent according to some review. It's a plus for me, no need to buy separated DAC + Amp.

I think there are much more alternatives in Europe.

Yes the HP-A8C has a very nice for DAC from what I can tell, and they promise they fixed the USB issues I mentioned in new firmwares (the one I auditioned had firmware 1.0).
I haven't had the chance to compare HP-A8C directly with much else yet, but my impressions are that the 3d/airiness is excellent, my only issue with HP-A8C was that I felt the lows were a bit lacking on the HD800's I have(this is an issue with the E17 too, but not on the P6T or SR608), and the USB audio glitches.
If memory serves me right I find the HP-A8C to be pretty close to the Antelope Zodiac, but since I didn't compare them directly at the same time that's subject to the usual 'mood-at-the-time' subjective opinion...

(3D and airiness compared to onboard sound on Asus P6Tv2(AD2000B/AD1989B chip), FiiO E17 and headphone out on Onkyo TX-SR608, all with the HD800)
post #57 of 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by myc View Post

Please note that it's the target one in the manual..

It's the "certificate" ordered from Sennheiser for this specific model.

 

edit: Ah, pardon me. Guess you've meant the other guy's graphs. smile.gif


Edited by Kenion - 1/27/13 at 1:53am
post #58 of 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

What do you mean?

I was unaware that there were any differences in the HD800 because I thought it was such a new headphone. It only came out last year. Perhaps I am wrong though. 

post #59 of 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckMan1 View Post

I was unaware that there were any differences in the HD800 because I thought it was such a new headphone. It only came out last year. Perhaps I am wrong though. 

The HD800 has been around for a few years now not just released last year. And the differences are barely noticeable let alone measurable to distinguish a possible revision between the early S/N units to one of the later ones.

post #60 of 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

The HD800 has been around for a few years now not just released last year. And the differences are barely noticeable let alone measurable to distinguish a possible revision between the early S/N units to one of the later ones.
Any idea / guesses as to when Sennheiser might update / release a new flagship? I'm saving up for an HD800 right now, and it would suck if a new model comes out right after I bought mine.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › New HD 800 very different than the old HD 800