I am certainly impressed with the bass response. It is solid and controlled. Best headphones I have ever had.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 3/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- LCD-3's and Woo WA22....WOW! Last post on 12/3/13 at 11:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need A Balanced &/Or Single Ended Amplifier Around $2-$3K for the HE-500. Last post on 11/25/13 at 3:19pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Looking for recommendations: balanced amplifier for high sensitivity headphones with preamp out... Last post on 11/24/13 at 7:48pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Which headphone to get? HD800 or T1? Last post on 11/19/13 at 12:12am in Headphones (full-size)
- K550 vs hd 800, dt880, hd380pro bass comparison? Last post on 11/15/13 at 12:51am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: Yesterday
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/28/12
UE6000 Review I like these headphones. I don’t love them, I just like them. They have a ton of good things going for them like the isolation (freakin’ fantastic passive isolation, maybe...
I had this earphones for 2 years and I must say, that I was really satisfied with it. With the possibility to change bass you can choose what really fits you and I must say, that the bass was...
A Little Background I currently own Beats Pro and I listen to them on a daily basis. I have previously owned Beats Studios and Beats Solos. I bought all of them from The Source in Ontario and...
Bought those as a portable go-to set (subway use, airplanes, travelling, etc.) and am so far very pleased. I previously used Etymotic IEM's (ER-4P and HF3) which are known for their clarity and...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/685339/new-akg-flagship-k812-first-impression/120#post_10026763 Now I correct the Google translate - I use http://www.dict.cc/ and my (small) knowledge of English I hope...
New HD 800 very different than the old HD 800 - Page 11post #151 of 2173/28/13 at 5:56am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #152 of 2173/28/13 at 7:11amQuote:
I'm not missing my LCD2's at all... Feel bad about that.post #153 of 2173/29/13 at 5:32ampost #154 of 2173/29/13 at 6:18ampost #155 of 2173/29/13 at 8:23am
Because I've measured six or seven of them with serial numbers ranging from the hundreds to twenty-thousands; and while there are production variances for each one, they are all pretty much are alike. I have not seen any other headphone measure so consistently. The notion that there are new and old HD800s seems unlikely.
The differences are more likely attributable to individual traits of each HD800 as a result of minor production variances, and differences in the playback system and recordings used when assessing the HD800s qualities, i.e. my new s/n HD800 has more bass (on my setup) than my friend's old s/n HD800 (on my friends setup), the new s/n HD800 in my home setup has less biting treble than the old s/n I heard at the Headroom table with their amps, etc.post #156 of 2174/9/13 at 9:39pm
In another thread I mentioned comparing 4 HD800's side by side which included one under 10k, mine in the 14k's, a 16k and a 19k or 20k. They all sounded the same if plugged to the same rig.
Also, I got to compare mine to 5 other back-to-back serials of HD800's in the 213xx's with Sennheiser Canada; and again, it was all mostly the same.post #157 of 2174/28/13 at 6:08pm
Recently I've bought a new HD800 S/N 21xxx and - out of the same amp - at the same volume - with the same material and - without any modifications,
it just sounds like my old HD800 with S/N 003xx and my other pair, that I bought about two years ago (S/N 07xxx).
Otherwise, listening to my other good headphones like T1, K702, LCD3, HE5LE, SR009, HE90, etc. is in case of each of them always a different world.
There can simply be no doubt, they all sound different! This can be heard very easily even by untrained headphone listeners.
Not so with the three HD800s!
All my three HD800s from 'old' to brand new sound the same (under the same conditions).
I wonder why someone may hear HUGE differences here and even minor differences are probably hard to find out... for me, at all, there weren't any.
And if there are differences heard by others, maybe they are "wishful thinking" or the result of a slightly different fit on the head, that probably could effect the sound also (I mean a different headband position, etc.).
I don't know.
Out of my perception, this equation makes really sense to me:
OLD HD800 = 'MIDDLE-AGED' HD800 = NEW HD800
PS: Maybe my ears are not good enough to point out slight/huge differences here. I feel a bit ashamed, but I really really can't hear the green grass growing on the fields of Austria, while others might hear it... even if they are standing on the Stephansplatz in Vienna... surrounded by 2,000,000 active people... and while the cathedral's bells are ringing loudly...
Edited by Der Germane - 4/28/13 at 6:11pmpost #158 of 2175/29/13 at 11:44am
I have a pr of the HD800s, one serial #17XX and newer pair #20xxx. I way prefer the older ones. The newer version is brighter - like these cans were not bright enough. The older version is more musical with a better defined bass, more neutral sounding.
Of course I switched out the stock cable and have really good success with the Moon Black Dragon V2. About to spring for the SAA Endorphines. I plan on using the Moon on the newer and SAA on the older.
Seems like Dave Mahler had a similar experience in his awesome Head-Fi review, although he preferred the newer ones.
Battle Of The Flagships (57 Headphones Compared
"I own two pairs of the HD800: serial #297 and serial #10333. Serial #297 was made during the first production run while serial #10333 was manufactured approximately two years later. Initially, I purchased a second pair because the headband of my original pair encountered a recurring squeak issue. Despite several repair attempts, this problem has never been resolved to my full satisfaction.
However, what I've found is that the two HD800s have some very noticeable sonic differences. The earlier pair (#297) has a fuller tone and is slightly more laid-back in the highs. This is, in my opinion, not a result of burn-in; I've owned the later pair for nearly two years and I still maintain this view. While many people are of the belief that there will always be differences from model to model (a belief I most certainly don't disagree with), I have had the opportunity to hear several early models and several later models of the HD800; in my opinion, the earlier ones have a slightly fuller tone. I am not certain as to when the sonic transition took place or what may have caused it.
Despite the earlier model's fuller tone, if I had to pick which of the two pairs was my preference, I would choose the later. I feel that the later model (#10333) offers a greater degree of transparency and puts more air around the instruments. The noted differences are not so drastic, but I have done several blind tests and I always know which headphone is which."
Edited by rb2013 - 5/29/13 at 11:50ampost #159 of 2175/29/13 at 4:26pmI tried out 4 different stock HD800's recently and they all sounded the same when directly A/B'd through the same source. It's the second time I do this because these recent comments made me doubt myself.
There is absolutely no difference between HD800's unless the pads deteriorated (that largely affects sound, again, by test).post #160 of 2175/29/13 at 6:09pmpost #161 of 2175/29/13 at 6:23pmQuote:
Ha! Interesting.....some have reported that the newer #20xxx have more bass. I'm likepost #162 of 2175/29/13 at 8:08pm
Maybe the dudes who are getting different results aren't checking to see that they're using the same cable on both headphones.
It's easy to forget.post #163 of 2175/31/13 at 10:00ampost #164 of 2175/31/13 at 10:23amQuote:
This is how a HD800 freq graph really looks.
The spike at 6 kHz is pretty obvious when listening if you don't perform a mod.post #165 of 2175/31/13 at 11:22amQuote:Originally Posted by Sweden
This is how a HD800 freq graph really looks.
The spike at 6 kHz is pretty obvious when listening if you don't perform a mod.
Yeah I've seen that graph, must be a bright one And of course its not my headphone.
Not being funny but the 6k spike is not obvious to my ears, and I do know what one sounds like as I've owned quite a few bright headphones :)
- New HD 800 very different than the old HD 800
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2, plus comparisons. (Fischer FA-4E XB,... 39 seconds ago
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 1 minute ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 2 minutes ago
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 2 minutes ago
- › 1964 EARS V6 Discussion & Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Updated 9/2/2013: Sony... 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Nov 4th 2013 and feature poll... 3 minutes ago
- › AMB a20 Balanced Pre Amplifier 4 minutes ago
- › Luxman P1u Loaner program and reviews! 4 minutes ago
- › Is there diminishing return when it comes to headphone quality? 5 minutes ago
- › Logitech UE 6000 by Trunks159
- › MEElectronics SP51-BK Sound Preference In-Ear Headphone with Sound... by Benik3
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by JGrignon
- › Shure SE215 Black by starlan
- › AKG K812 by FritzS
- › Schiit Vali by tdockweiler
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by Wilderbeast
- › ecp audio L-2 Parafeed Headphone Amplifier by minimus
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by DrumminD21311
- › FiiO RC-MH1 Headphone Upgrade Cable by SkyBleu
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Cables &... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Wireless... by warrenpchi