Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › New HD 800 very different than the old HD 800
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New HD 800 very different than the old HD 800 - Page 10

post #136 of 353

I have the v200 and can say I preferred it with the hd800 over the soloist . It warmer tone works well with the hd800 and also with every other can I have including the lcd2 and at3000

post #137 of 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post

I have the v200 and can say I preferred it with the hd800 over the soloist . It warmer tone works well with the hd800 and also with every other can I have including the lcd2 and at3000

Hey!...What are you posting here for? Don't you have an awesome new Taboo to break in and review??!! biggrin.gif

 

I have not had the chance to hear the Violectric gear. I have enjoyed the HD160 with the HD800's and found it a bit brittle, but I am beginning to chalk that up to the Entreq cables....

post #138 of 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post

Hey!...What are you posting here for? Don't you have an awesome new Taboo to break in and review??!! biggrin.gif

 

I have not had the chance to hear the Violectric gear. I have enjoyed the HD160 with the HD800's and found it a bit brittle, but I am beginning to chalk that up to the Entreq cables....

I do but my V200 is awesome with the hd800 for people interested in solid state its a great choice as well. I thought the Soloist was Ok but the v200 better with the v200. Tube amps are my favorite amp with the hd800. Some people only want solid state amps. The Soloist is an excellent amp but I did not feel it was as good as my other amp with the the hd800.. 

post #139 of 353

The best SS I have heard with the HD800's was the Phonitor. However, it is almost 2X the Soloist. Cool amp. You could spend a ton of time tweeking the controls....

post #140 of 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post

The best SS I have heard with the HD800's was the Phonitor. However, it is almost 2X the Soloist. Cool amp. You could spend a ton of time tweeking the controls....


+1. Best SS amp for the HD800 hands down.

post #141 of 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post

 Tube amps are my favorite amp with the hd800. Some people only want solid state 

 

+1

 

Woo Audio 2 wink.gif

post #142 of 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post

The best SS I have heard with the HD800's was the Phonitor. However, it is almost 2X the Soloist. Cool amp. You could spend a ton of time tweeking the controls....

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeskd View Post


+1. Best SS amp for the HD800 hands down.

 

Ditto to this, I honestly think the Phonitor + HD800 sounds better than any of the b22's + HD800's I've heard. The only thing I found the Phonitor was lacking against the 2/4 channel b22's I compared it to was the b22 portray a bigger soundstage and was forward sounding. The Phonitor had amazing depth and layering to the classical pieces I listened to, an automatic win in my books. But some would argue the b22 would wipe the floor all over the Phonitor which I think is a joke of a claim.

post #143 of 353

Best depth I have heard was today on the new Decware Taboo Mk III with the new Lucid mode.....The soundstage went on forever!

post #144 of 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post

Best depth I have heard was today on the new Decware Taboo Mk III with the new Lucid mode.....The soundstage went on forever!

Off/Topic: Is the finish on your Decwares top plate powdercoated? 

post #145 of 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post

I have the v200 and can say I preferred it with the hd800 over the soloist . It warmer tone works well with the hd800 and also with every other can I have including the lcd2 and at3000

 

I have a V200 too. That'd make it easier for me to determine if I'd want to invest more with an HD800. What would be a good dac to go with them and keep a warmish tone? I currently have a Rega, and both sound great with my LCD-2 R.2.


Edited by Devarika Woulf - 3/7/13 at 4:39am
post #146 of 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deverica Wolf View Post

 

I have a V200 too. That'd make it easier for me to determine if I'd want to invest more with an HD800. What would be a good dac to go with them and keep a warmish tone? I currently have a Rega, and both sound great with my LCD-2 R.2.

I only use the Oppo BDP95 for my music. 

post #147 of 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post

Best depth I have heard was today on the new Decware Taboo Mk III with the new Lucid mode.....The soundstage went on forever!

Off/Topic: Is the finish on your Decwares top plate powdercoated? 

PM sent

post #148 of 353

When I compared my #28xx HD 800 to a #6xxx HD800 in a hifi-shop a few months back, the newer HD800 definitely sounded different with more bass prominence. With headphones it seems a bit like a drummer buying cymbals i.e. two 'Brand Y' 16" cymbals will usually sound obviously different even though they are sold as the same cymbal model. I would love to try a newer, say #20xxx + HD800 as Sennheiser are always improving their products and to me the HD 800 is the finest open-back headphone I've yet tried. smily_headphones1.gif

post #149 of 353

Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post

 

Here is the response Graph from my new HD800's Ser# 20521

 

 

 

wow. we seem to have a pretty similar looking FR graph! mine is from the recent batch #21XXX. This FR looks very close to mine too. http://www.head-fi.org/t/433059/sennheiser-hd800-certificate-for-frequency-response-arrived/330#post_8652779

 

hmmm... it does seems that Hd800 has got more bass now? and mine clearly doesn't have the 6k spike. but it does seem to have some nasty 9k spike. I dunno.. I not good at reading FR graph. 


Edited by smoothtalker - 3/28/13 at 3:31am
post #150 of 353

I am certainly impressed with the bass response. It is solid and controlled. Best headphones I have ever had.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › New HD 800 very different than the old HD 800