Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone Adventure Series - New Dynamic Driver for rugged activities: Impressions and Discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Westone Adventure Series - New Dynamic Driver for rugged activities: Impressions and Discussion - Page 6

post #76 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by vocalist View Post

I'm going to have to wait for more impressions before I make a decision.  I loved my Westone 4's and have thought about picking them up again a million times over and had actually been debating getting the um1 to use for running - then I heard about these.  Can't wait to see more thoughts roll in!

Do itt! I use a w1 and my un3xrc for running and weightlifting and there's no Microphonics and between sets I one out into the music as if I'm relaxing and then go right back at it. Until they change the cable I doubt it's going to satisfy your running needs with constant cable noise and microphone hitting your chest. But do buy from an authorized dealer that has a good return policy and try for yourself and don't let this silly ol redneck persuade you any other way!
post #77 of 254

At a mere $200 how good should you expect them to sound?  Price usually matches performance at this range.  These should sound somewhere between a UM or W1 and a UM or W2.  No?

post #78 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post

At a mere $200 how good should you expect them to sound?  Price usually matches performance at this range.  These should sound somewhere between a UM or W1 and a UM or W2.  No?
[/quote

That's the thing sir, those phones are better than this one. I'm praying the constant burn in settles the bass down and brings out the upper mid lower treble some. I expect to be honest a TERRIFIC performance out of westone's first dynamic driver regardless of price. Hell I've had more enjoyment out of my gr07 than most headphones because of the price point and not worrying about breaking them. I'm very active and my job requires I be ready to go at a drop of a hat. The fact that this is westone's first entry into a dynamic transducer makes me believe this will be a wonderful entry and I don't want to write this off as a loss until after burn in.
post #79 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post

At a mere $200 how good should you expect them to sound?  Price usually matches performance at this range.  These should sound somewhere between a UM or W1 and a UM or W2.  No?


Honestly $200 for a dynamic driver should sound at least as good as the $100 competition.  These days the bar is constantly being raised and Westone has a reputation to maintain.  I'm not saying this IEM doesn't do that; I haven't heard it.  I do think we can expect solid sound quality for $200.  Hifiman has delivered some excellent IEMs for considerably less (one example).


Edited by Deviltooth - 6/5/13 at 7:38pm
post #80 of 254

Yeah, the market is saturated in this price tier compared to a few years ago.  You've got to at least be able to hold your own, value-wise, even if you're a premier brand like Westone. 

post #81 of 254
FedEx says tomorrow at 12 smily_headphones1.gif

I will refrain from the banter about price/performance until I hear them since I am getting them so quickly.
post #82 of 254

I just ordered a pair, though this is really a blind buy.

 

Two reasons really:

 

1. I've never heard a micro-driver IEM that didn't sound awesome - or at least in some ways quite unique, especially in bass response. I don't mind a very dark sound.

2. I love anything made of magnesium.

 

Hopefully these will be good or it will be a bit of an expensive mistake... 

post #83 of 254
Glad your grabbing a pair. I was thinking about microdrivers and how they are appreciated by a segment of head-fi members. I will give these an honest listen as have the one other member who has them. But if they end up being the opposite of my prefered signature I won't be the best salesman if you will.
post #84 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

I just ordered a pair, though this is really a blind buy.

Two reasons really:

1. I've never heard a micro-driver IEM that didn't sound awesome - or at least in some ways quite unique, especially in bass response. I don't mind a very dark sound.
2. I love anything made of magnesium.

Hopefully these will be good or it will be a bit of an expensive mistake... 



Your right a micro driver is truly a unique sound sig and I'm teaching myself to adapt to the change in sonic delivery that these little dudes produce. It's a different sig but its not entirely bad, I believed the burn in at full volume definitely reduces the initial "uppity" in the bass region

Can you give a few suggestions and typical sounds of a micro driver as the only one I can reference are the ie800 senny's and these adv series
post #85 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaver View Post

Glad your grabbing a pair. I was thinking about microdrivers and how they are appreciated by a segment of head-fi members. I will give these an honest listen as have the one other member who has them. But if they end up being the opposite of my prefered signature I won't be the best salesman if you will.

 

Ahaha. Agreed. Hopefully they will be good, otherwise I will have a hard time shifting my own pair. :S

 

@Nhare90, thanks for your early impressions - are you able to give us any other comparisons with other earphones?

post #86 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhare90 View Post


Your right a micro driver is truly a unique sound sig and I'm teaching myself to adapt to the change in sonic delivery that these little dudes produce. It's a different sig but its not entirely bad, I believed the burn in at full volume definitely reduces the initial "uppity" in the bass region

Can you give a few suggestions and typical sounds of a micro driver as the only one I can reference are the ie800 senny's and these adv series

 

I generally find with the micro driver IEMs I have tried (CC51P, JVC FXD80-Z, ATH-CKN70) that the bass response tends to be very very prominent and punchy. I do not know if this is because the relatively small volume of air between the diaphragm and the eardrum in a micro driver (and the resulting very strong seal) but each micro driver I have heard has an intensely strong (and not particularly balanced) bass response. It is deep, extended and controlled but generally not for those who don't like bass.

 

I prefer a darker sound so I'm not overly scared about reports of these being dark, and what kind of excites me is that I have a general faith in both 1. microdrivers and 2. the use of high strength / weight ratio metals in earphone bodies reducing resonances.

 

This will be the first Westone IEM I've ever owned so fingers crossed :3

post #87 of 254

I'm a bit of a bass-lover, and I'm a huge fan of the Westone 3..

So all of this talk has me a little excited, I won't lie. If anyone knows how to do bass, it's Westone. 

post #88 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

Ahaha. Agreed. Hopefully they will be good, otherwise I will have a hard time shifting my own pair. :S

@Nhare90, thanks for your early impressions - are you able to give us any other comparisons with other earphones?


Yes sir I can! I am. Currently in paramedic class and comparisons will be quick but just.

Um3x- the overall sound is different as the um3x bass is very crafted-sculpted if I will. It gives you the bass the singer on stage or the bassist needs but not the sub bass that is already in abundance from the stage monitors on stage. The bass in the adv series seams like it is separately amped, almost as if to produce higher basal output from the micro driver. The rest of the frequency doesn't seem to be affected by the higher output(as in: traditionally the more ampage, the whole frequency typically goes up, usually, mids-highs-bass) while the bass is amped up not much else is. I'm torn with the bass really, it's low it's impactful and it can carry a synthesized bass note well. It's just too much for other genres. It's a fun sound without the highs to accompany the usually v shaped fun sig.
The mids are the um3x sweet spot for me and they truly help encapsulate the artists vocal range, the only negative I can say is sometime the output of a females voice in the higher ranges lowers in volume compared to the male/lower female range. It's not bad whatsoever but afterll, this is headphi, we are that 1%. The mids of the adv series are a back seat driver, they are there when the bass isn't but as soon as the bass is introduced the mids hop in the backseat and just let the bass drive out. The mids are strange in a way that they sound slightly distant compared to the bass and lower highs. I'm still coming up with a way to describe what it is I'm hearing.
Highs- they are thick ish. There doesn't seam to be much sparkle, it's very tamed. I assume its to compensate for the higher volume levels needed to void out the cable noise when you are being "adventurous". It almost seams as if instead of a "st" sound I'm getting a "thst" the cymbal seams to be getting confused as to just which instrument it wants to be. It's a thick sounding cymbal and its strange. The Um3x treble is delicate in a way that it provides all the traditional treble quality but just much less quantity of it. It makes for a non harsh but still satisfying sound especially when you crank the volume up, it's truly my favorite part of the um3x moderately high volume that doesn't sting my hearing afterwards.
post #89 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaver View Post

FedEx says tomorrow at 12 smily_headphones1.gif

I will refrain from the banter about price/performance until I hear them since I am getting them so quickly.

Did yours come? interested to hear impressions

post #90 of 254
It did but I am at work and it is at home :'( I will post some impressions later today smily_headphones1.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone Adventure Series - New Dynamic Driver for rugged activities: Impressions and Discussion