Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone Adventure Series - New Dynamic Driver for rugged activities: Impressions and Discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Westone Adventure Series - New Dynamic Driver for rugged activities: Impressions and Discussion - Page 12

post #166 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaver View Post

... I am going to do a full review soon and when I do I will definitely have a section where I talk about who I think these are good for and who should avoid them.

 

Yes, that would be very helpful.

 

BTW, thank you and a_rec for your impressions, too.

post #167 of 254

Myself I am really enjoying the bass on these. I wanted a really sweat proof/ rugged Iem for doing my outside work like cutting grass and any other things of the sort. My grass takes me about 3hrs to cut and I so enjoy listening to my music while doing it. I generally use my W3, but decided to give these a try when they came out. I will be auditioning them for just that later today (grass cutting) and am thrilled to have such a full bass oriented sound for it. I like w4 and even er4p..but I also love the times when bass just feels so good and motivating. I personally have no big problem with the voices being to low or anything..but I also am not using these for ultimate clarity. For my bike rides..lawn work treadmill etc..I think they are fantastic prospect. I did try the se215 but just do not find them comfortable nor even close to these in sound imho. To justify my cost for just a "fun" purchase... I don't drink beer!! So that saves me a couple hundred every few months compared to my co-workers lol. I do understand dweaver saying he uses treble boost..I will have to try that on my iphone or touch. And..I will definitely get the regular braided cable when available.


Edited by Del Griffith - 6/11/13 at 9:37am
post #168 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittysan89 View Post

What tips were you using? Do you still get driver flex when using foam tips? I'm assuming you mean that as you are lifting weights, your ear canal positioning naturally changes which causes the "seal" of the earphone to go "in and out" (almost like what happens when you raise your eyebrows or smile) ? Do you have to constantly readjust this seal to compensate?


Yes I meant when you grimace and contract neck muscles and the trapezius, all this makes for pressure to build up in he canal due to changes in size of the outer ear. I lose seal sometimes but mostly it's just the pressure gradient creating a vacuum causing the driver to flex. This causes the inevitable volume reduction.

Also forgot to mention how gross the cloth cable is after working out, lets just say it retains moisture and water.
post #169 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhare90 View Post


Yes I meant when you grimace and contract neck muscles and the trapezius, all this makes for pressure to build up in he canal due to changes in size of the outer ear. I lose seal sometimes but mostly it's just the pressure gradient creating a vacuum causing the driver to flex. This causes the inevitable volume reduction.

Also forgot to mention how gross the cloth cable is after working out, lets just say it retains moisture and water.

Yeah, I was imagining how my face looks when I deadlift or do shrugs. I wonder if this driver flex will "hurt" the actual IEM or could affect the durability of the driver itself. If this is a consistent issue it sounds like a huge deal breaker to be honest. I was just about to purchase a pair until I read your thoughts. I hope someone else can comment on this issue.

 

EDIT: Have you noticed any change in the pressure vacuum when using silicon tips versus foam tips? I have read on here that many people who use foam tips with dynamic drivers do not experience driver flex like when using silicon.

 

It also sounds like nobody likes the cloth cable....I have only read negative thoughts so far. It's nice that they are detachable but who wants to buy an IEM that you know going in, you will be required to buy an aftermarket cable for. I wonder if a braided cable would be as weather resistant?


Edited by smittysan89 - 6/11/13 at 10:12am
post #170 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittysan89 View Post

Yeah, I was imagining how my face looks when I deadlift or do shrugs. I wonder if this driver flex will "hurt" the actual IEM or could affect the durability of the driver itself. If this is a consistent issue it sounds like a huge deal breaker to be honest. I was just about to purchase a pair until I read your thoughts. I hope someone else can comment on this issue.

EDIT: Have you noticed any change in the pressure vacuum when using silicon tips versus foam tips? I have read on here that many people who use foam tips with dynamic drivers do not experience driver flex like when using silicon.

It also sounds like nobody likes the cloth cable....I have only read negative thoughts so far. It's nice that they are detachable but who wants to buy an IEM that you know going in, you will be required to buy an aftermarket cable for. I wonder if a braided cable would be as weather resistant?

Due to foam being foam, I do see that option as being better, i.e. less flex, but they are workout iem's foams really aren't an option if your sweating or pushing the limits of what your body can do. The foam will degrade much faster and will also hold all the sweat, wax, dirt. Gross. Not an option for me. Silicon lasts longer and is much easier to remove and insert when the occasional conversation sparks up.

But I'm sure they reduce the driver flex!
post #171 of 254

EDIT: For anyone who is reading this thread afterwards, I posted my review here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/669528/review-westone-adv-alpha-a-thing-that-goes-thump-in-the-night

 

Okay, some observations:

 

I've been fiddling around trying to find a fit where the ADV does not rub against part of my left ear, and I've discovered that, much like a lot of very bassy IEMs (IE8, Radius DDM etc) the ADV benefits from shallow insertion. It sounds much better without a perfect seal because the treble kicks up and gets more extended. You can actually vary the amount of treble you want by changing insertion depth and luckily the IEM is designed in such a way that the fit is still comfortable and secure like this.

 

It is actually possible to experience sibilance on the ADV by doing this for instance.

 

Now obviously this is not good from an isolation standpoint and probably not good for your ears if you are in a noisy place, considering that you will naturally turn up the volume when isolation decreases and the ADV already encourages you to turn up the volume to what I would consider excessive levels. 

 

Considering my experience with the cable and the left ear soreness, I will probably be exchanging these, but I wanted to make the following notes on the sound:

 

The ADV is very dark sounding (depending on insertion depth) with an incredibly visceral and authoritative bass response. It is not flabby bass - it reaches down deep and has a stone against stone rumble and heft to it. It's pretty astounding. 

 

The rest of the signature is still very articulate and detailed, but perceived detail and a sense of air / spaciousness suffers because of the very dark tilt of the ADV. There is a "shhhh" shimmer tone in the treble as mentioned, which actually begins to take on some prominence / sibilance at shallower insertion depths.

 

Because the ADV seemingly has a good driver and does not distort at high volumes, the natural response seems to be to turn up the volume higher so that you can hear more details in the mids and treble. The bass still stays quite controlled and does not bleed into the mids at high volume, so what you end up is a very rich and bombastic sound. Again I don't really think this is a good thing for long term listening.

 

It's obvious that the ADV has a great driver that has been tuned in a specific way, or engineering decisions have led to this tuning.

 

I can think of a couple of reasons why:

 

1. The filter chosen for the ADV, which appears to be a white membrane, was chosen to for water resistance and is not particularly porous. I have heard similar complaints about the Sony XBA-S65 with the water resistant membrane filter on that pair. The resulting sound is thick because of the dense filter.

 

2. Westone decided that as Nhare90 suggests, people desire a stronger bass response when working out because the bass motivates them to feel the burnnnnnn. The ADV is voiced well for electronic and modern studio recordings which also seems to work for workouts, as does the nice secure fit. I was going to go running with the ADVs yesterday just to give them a spin but because of the soreness in my ear I didn't try it out. Personally I have fallen in love with the XBA-C10 as a workout earphone recently because a) it has a nice stable fit and isn't fiddly to take in and out and b) it's very cheap so I won't cry if it breaks.

 

If this was a keeper pair for me I would naturally be very inclined to experiment with the filter in the nozzle to get more bass, though that will probably ruin the water resistance.

 

What does this tell us? 

 

I think the ADV is probably a warm up from Westone to test out micro-driver manufacturing and magnesium moulding, while targeting a consumer demographic where there are other priorities besides sound quality. It's quite clever because once they get feedback and sort out the issues they can release something better with the same or an improved driver. I would not be surprised to see Westone make a 'music lovers' version of the ADV soon with the same driver and a different filter / tuning. It will most assuredly be fantastic.

 

Specifically as an workout IEM I don't know if I can endorse the ADV because of my own experiences with the comfort and the potential of the braided cable fraying over time and getting irritating, but it is very lightweight and fits comfortably in one of my eara. It is also seemingly built very well with good materials.

 

I'll see if I have time to post up a video for peeps to get a closer look at the actual earphone but I think I am going to have to take advantage of earphone solutions very generous return / exchange policy...


Edited by a_recording - 6/25/13 at 11:03pm
post #172 of 254
2. Westone decided that as Nhare90 suggests, people desire a stronger bass response when working out because the bass motivates them to feel the burnnnnnn. The ADV is voiced well for electronic and modern studio recordings which also seems to work for workouts, as does the nice secure fit. I was going to go running with the ADVs yesterday just to give them a spin but because of the soreness in my ear I didn't try it out. Personally I have fallen in love with the XBA-C10 as a workout earphone recently because a) it has a nice stable fit and isn't fiddly to take in and out and b) it's very cheap so I won't cry if it breaks.


You sir, are a funny man. Well played sir, well played.
post #173 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhare90 View Post

You sir, are a funny man. Well played sir, well played.

 

Hey lol, I'm not poking fun. I totally get why you'd want to pump it up!

 

I bet this song sounds good on the ADV:

 

 

All kidding aside it works well.

post #174 of 254
We are now mortal enemy's smily_headphones1.gif

All kidding aside stress is mainstay in everyone's life, especially in public and national safety. I enjoy this hobby as I do staying fit and when these two hobbies collide that just makes for an awesome expirience. The adv series are so close to perfect its disappointing.
post #175 of 254

Sadly, I don't think these are for me.  My current issue with my running iem's (Sennheiser) is that there is no chin slider and a hefty remote - which I loved at first - but now gets stuck on everything.  I wear my running iem's (30+ miles/week) behind my ears/neck to avoid microphonics and generally under my shirt so the reflective cable wouldn't be much help, would it? wink.gif Sound-wise, it doesn't fit my preferences at all.  Hopefully I'll get a chance to hear them sometime in the future and but for the moment, I'm going to have to pass.  

post #176 of 254

I was really hoping that the ADV alpha would allow me to purchase an IEM that I could use when I move to Hilo, Big Island, Hawaii (where it rains 200+ inches a year). Something that I could use for regular listening when traveling and also at home while providing me with something I could take to the beach or use when hiking and obviously when running (30+ miles a week). Basically as an all-in-one IEM.

 

Now I'm thinking for the $200 price point it might just be better for me to get a pair of W2 or SE215's and then get a pair of cheap XBA-C10's for exercise....uggh.

post #177 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittysan89 View Post

Now I'm thinking for the $200 price point it might just be better for me to get a pair of W2 or SE215's and then get a pair of cheap XBA-C10's for exercise....uggh.

 

You say that like saving money is a bad thing haha

post #178 of 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

 

You say that like saving money is a bad thing haha

haha! I meant to say that with the street price of w2 ($160) plus the price of a standard exercise IEM ($50)....it would be around the same in cash spent.

 

I would prefer to have top notch sound ALL the time....and with the rain in Hilo being constant and unpredictable (basically tropical rainforest)....I can see myself getting a little nervous wearing the w2s out and about.

post #179 of 254

So l took the ADV into the city today and tested isolation with the shallow insertion. The isolation was still good and comfort was great. As I said with shallower insertion the treble becomes more extended. still dark but not so oppressive.  Westone replied saying they would be happy to resolve the cable issue so I have decided to keep these! They will replace my XBA 40 as my new favourite dark sounding IEM. They are more comfortable and have a more natural timbre and the bass is quite magical, so the XBA 40 will go up for sale :3

post #180 of 254

I always use shallow insertion, the ADV is still dark but it may explain why I have been enjoying them while others have not. I burned them for another 10 hrs last night but have not had a chance to listen to them yet. They are changing with burnin (bass is taming treble is getting a bit better) but the general signature remains the same.

 

Also I do get decent isolation as well.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Westone Adventure Series - New Dynamic Driver for rugged activities: Impressions and Discussion