Long time lurker in college when I was broke and now I finally have about $1000 I would like to put to advancing my audio setup. Right now I have:
1) Asus xonar essence stx -> HD555s, love the sound / experience, very pleasant. Would upgrade headphones though, I've definitely heard better on my friends hd600s
2) Swan D1080 MKiis, I thought they sounded good but one of the mids is out and I'm looking to upgrade.
What I want:
1) New speakers and speaker amp / receiver. For one I really don' t understand how important the receiver is to the sound. Also, I'm not really sure which gets you better bang for the buck between amp and receiver but I will only have three inputs into the receiving device ( computer, record player, bluetooth connect for wireless iphone music playing - bad quality but convenient ).
2) A record player recommendation. Should I Just use the one my parents have had their whole life? Any good reasons not to?
3) Someone to explain to me what the difference between a receiver and a speakers amp is. Also, do they have to match the wattage of the speakers or be less than? Does it matter, etc. ?
I know on a lot of subjects on the forum there are 3 or 4 "top" choices for headphones at different pricepoints. If I'm willing to spend a total of $1000, what would I be looking at to satisfy these three points?
Note: I tend to prefer accurate sound reproduction over any particular "qualities" because I listen to very different types of music and I'm only looking for a 2.0 setup.
I really appreciate any help guys, I'm sure there are an assload of these threads so if any of you could take hte time I'd really appreciate it.
EDIT: Is this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6087397&type=product&id=1218731589959 any good? It's on a pretty big sale right now so maybe I should pick it up? I don't know diddly about receivers though.
Edited by grahamcrackuh - 1/17/13 at 9:50pm