Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › = Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 =
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

= Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 = - Page 64

post #946 of 1677
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post
 

I see. Modulor is going to send a pair of batch 2 jergpads to Purrin as well, to measure on HE500s; when exactly that I do not know.

 

Is the second batch going to have the new mod you speak of?

post #947 of 1677

I have an HE-500 on the way and will likely try this mod out in the near-ish future. 

post #948 of 1677

Just a question but are HiFiMan velours hand washable? I asked at the HiFiMan threads and those that responded lead me here.

post #949 of 1677

I wased it and no problems at all.

post #950 of 1677
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thujone View Post
 

 

Is the second batch going to have the new mod you speak of?

 

Yes, but only definite for HE500 owners; for HE400 owners it is optional.

 

In the new Jergpad modding guide that Modulor is finishing up, this particular detail will be specified.

post #951 of 1677

This is an unreleased mod, yes? Haven't read through the entire thread...

post #952 of 1677
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans030390 View Post
 

This is an unreleased mod, yes? Haven't read through the entire thread...

 

It's unreleased but I have described it in a fairly longwinded post either in this thread or in one of the HE500 or HE400 threads.

 

A big reason why I'm not just releasing it now and slapping it into the current guide post is because it is fairly detrimental toward the modded pads' longevity unless coupled with Modulor's method of the velour-top mod. He is almost complete the full guide though, and when that is so I will spoiler the current guide and just link to the guide he compiled which will act as the newest state of the mod.


Edited by jerg - 9/15/13 at 9:10pm
post #953 of 1677
Thread Starter 

Potentially major revision of the guide might be coming soon not only to incorporate Modulor's techniques to doing the mod, but also to coincide with some interesting findings inferred from recent measurements done on the latest revisions.

 

So if you are planning to try doing the mod, please hold off for a while.

post #954 of 1677
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post
 

Potentially major revision of the guide might be coming soon not only to incorporate Modulor's techniques to doing the mod, but also to coincide with some interesting findings inferred from recent measurements done on the latest revisions.

 

So if you are planning to try doing the mod, please hold off for a while.

 

Damnit, so I'm going to have to buy another pair of Modulor's jergpads?  :)

post #955 of 1677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limniscate View Post

Damnit, so I'm going to have to buy another pair of Modulor's jergpads?  smily_headphones1.gif
Ouch!!! Me too!!!! Maybe we get discount? biggrin.gif
post #956 of 1677
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limniscate View Post
 

 

Damnit, so I'm going to have to buy another pair of Modulor's jergpads?  :)

 

No no no, most of the revision IS Modulor's method of making the pads (he is writing this guide lol), it's just that there might be a few options for a couple of the less core steps (i.e. the backvent mod, and adhesion mod) in the guide depending on what particular resulting sound the person wants out of the mod.

post #957 of 1677

Did the original HE-500 measurements have the adhesion and vent mods? Or was it purely the hole mod?

 

EDIT: I re-read the first post. Looks like they had the holes and the vent mod. No adhesion or velour mods.


Edited by Thujone - 9/17/13 at 1:20pm
post #958 of 1677
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thujone View Post
 

Did the original HE-500 measurements have the adhesion and vent mods? Or was it purely the hole mod?

 

EDIT: I re-read the first post. Looks like they had the holes and the vent mod. No adhesion or velour mods.

 

The original HE500 measurements were on my first pair of modded pleather pads, which was quite a bit different.

 
On those pads, I trimmed off the rubber flanges completely, and opted to tape the pad to the mounting ring. The underside damping holes are there and in the same config as now. The vent mod was there but VERY different from now (in that early version I had risers across the entire back half of the pad, rather than just 1/4). And yep, no velour shell mod, nor adhesion mod. 
 
The pads Modulor is sending to purrin have one further step that's specifically for HE500, and that might not show up on the measurements (since purrin's measurements don't show ringing below 1000 Hz), but should be readily obvious to ear.

 

 

And purrin is right, having the back vents open is indeed more in accordance with my vision, at least for HE500. The sub-bass just sounds "right", compared to having em taped up. Shame you don't have a pair of HE500s to try it out, because as soon as you hear it you'd know what I mean.


Edited by jerg - 9/17/13 at 1:46pm
post #959 of 1677
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

The original HE500 measurements were on my first pair of modded pleather pads, which was quite a bit different.
 
On those pads, I trimmed off the rubber flanges completely, and opted to tape the pad to the mounting ring. The underside damping holes are there and in the same config as now. The vent mod was there but VERY different from now (in that early version I had risers across the entire back half of the pad, rather than just 1/4). And yep, no velour shell mod, nor adhesion mod. 
 
The pads Modulor is sending to purrin have one further step that's specifically for HE500, and that might not show up on the measurements (since purrin's measurements don't show ringing below 1000 Hz), but should be readily obvious to ear.


And purrin is right, having the back vents open is indeed more in accordance with my vision, at least for HE500. The sub-bass just sounds "right", compared to having em taped up. Shame you don't have a pair of HE500s to try it out, because as soon as you hear it you'd know what I mean.
How do u use the vents openings now? In the back or as u mentioned the last time with the vent openings in front? Which u prefer more?
post #960 of 1677
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post


How do u use the vents openings now? In the back or as u mentioned the last time with the vent openings in front? Which u prefer more?

 

Still at the back. I did the vent mod initially to make the space inside the earpads more spacious, so that the tips of my ears won't touch the metal bar that spans across the HE500's driver; that comfort requirement hasn't changed since then.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › = Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 =