or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › = Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 =
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

= Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 = - Page 59

post #871 of 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani ATH 87 View Post


I may give this a try when I get myself some double sided tape. I honestly can't see this making a tremendous difference as the velour ear pads seem snug enough with the cups to begin with, but it doesn't hurt to give it a whirl. I'm no expert, so it very well could have an impact!

Would Jerg or someone else recommend doing it for all 4 sides of the mounting right if you aren't using the back vent?

 

That is what I have done, can't do any harm can it?

post #872 of 1702

If you aren't using the vent, you might as well do all 4 sections with double sided tape.

post #873 of 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

 

That is what I have done, can't do any harm can it?


I'll try and pick up some double sided tape after work today and see what kind of results I get!

What have your results been like beaver?

post #874 of 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani ATH 87 View Post


I'll try and pick up some double sided tape after work today and see what kind of results I get!

What have your results been like beaver?

 

I originally did all of the mods, including the back vent mod, but I honestly couldn't hear a difference with or without the back vent so I removed it completely. I then taped down all sides as part of the sub bass mod.

 

I couldn't really tell your if there's a difference taping all sides of the mounting ring vs just the 3 along with the back vent mod since I didn't listen long enough with the back vent installed, but it definitely like the even look of having the whole pad sealed down. 

post #875 of 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

 

I originally did all of the mods, including the back vent mod, but I honestly couldn't hear a difference with or without the back vent so I removed it completely. I then taped down all sides as part of the sub bass mod.

 

I couldn't really tell your if there's a difference taping all sides of the mounting ring vs just the 3 along with the back vent mod since I didn't listen long enough with the back vent installed, but it definitely like the even look of having the whole pad sealed down. 

I currently just have the 'sub-bass' mod stickers applied all the way around as well (out of the two bass mods), but the vents do give the pads a bit of an angle (and provide more ear room inside) so those are probably the biggest benefits.  However, I have yet to try the vents in front, which seems to have interesting positive results.

post #876 of 1702
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani ATH 87 View Post


I may give this a try when I get myself some double sided tape. I honestly can't see this making a tremendous difference as the velour ear pads seem snug enough with the cups to begin with, but it doesn't hurt to give it a whirl. I'm no expert, so it very well could have an impact!

Would Jerg or someone else recommend doing it for all 4 sides of the mounting right if you aren't using the back vent?

TBH the double-sided tape helps HE500 quite a bit more than HE400, since the HE500 drivers have a much better innate low-end extension (18 Hz or so, as opposed to around 26 Hz of HE400) that the mod could bring out.

post #877 of 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by modulor View Post

However, I have yet to try the vents in front, which seems to have interesting positive results.

i did it and i liked it...but am curious how other people experience it..BUT...give it a fair shot...try it on high definition tracks of clasical orchestra's or live concerts with live musicians in which the soundstage and placement of instruments is of the utmost importance and hardest to play through any headphone..

so pls..post what ur experience is. beerchug.gif

post #878 of 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

TBH the double-sided tape helps HE500 quite a bit more than HE400, since the HE500 drivers have a much better innate low-end extension (18 Hz or so, as opposed to around 26 Hz of HE400) that the mod could bring out.


Hmmm, I was just about to go out and grab some double sided tape. But this is making me rethink whether or not I should be bothered to get dressed and go waste a few bucks, lol.

post #879 of 1702
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani ATH 87 View Post


Hmmm, I was just about to go out and grab some double sided tape. But this is making me rethink whether or not I should be bothered to get dressed and go waste a few bucks, lol.

Never know until you try it for yourself. It's really not a big commitment to do that mod.

post #880 of 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

Never know until you try it for yourself. It's really not a big commitment to do that mod.


Well, judging by the fact you said the difference was minor for the HE-400 (minor in audio enthusiast terms is extra minor in normal people terms biggrin.gif), and coupled with the fact I'd have to get dressed, get in my car, drive down to a craft store and spend some cash...I'd call it a large commitment! biggrin.gif

post #881 of 1702

It is indeed very rare to have non-electronic music go under 30 Hz anyway.

post #882 of 1702

PAD-CUP ADHESION ‘SUB-BASS’ MOD......was just looking at this....using the velours (love the top end of these) applied double side tape all around so essentially they seal to the phones......kept the top and now gives me great bass...have just been listening to Nevermind from Killer Bees (Airto Moreira, Stanley Clarke, Herbie Hancock) and Misty (Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio on three blind mice)..........beyond happy!!!!

 

Cheers!

 

Gus

post #883 of 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav Mahler View Post

PAD-CUP ADHESION ‘SUB-BASS’ MOD......was just looking at this....using the velours (love the top end of these) applied double side tape all around so essentially they seal to the phones......kept the top and now gives me great bass...have just been listening to Nevermind from Killer Bees (Airto Moreira, Stanley Clarke, Herbie Hancock) and Misty (Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio on three blind mice)..........beyond happy!!!!

 

Cheers!

 

Gus

Good to hear that it helps with the velours as well!  My pair of velours (well, the mounting rings anyway) were quite loose before I sacrificed them to the jergpad gods...I may have to pick up another pair of velours and try this sometime biggrin.gif

post #884 of 1702

Just received my pads,

 

starting out this mod...

 

have a question

 

 How many holes are they supposed to be and what is the best size ... diameter of hole..

     are they supposed to be the same thro out..?

 

rgds

post #885 of 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealer View Post

Just received my pads,

 

starting out this mod...

 

have a question

 

 How many holes are they supposed to be and what is the best size ... diameter of hole..

     are they supposed to be the same thro out..?

 

rgds

Just do it exactly like the photo on the first page. One row of large holes sandwiched by two rows of small holes.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › = Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 =