I received the modular pads!!
and i did it..i managed to change the pads..hourah!!!!
first listening impressions..damn wish i had my evil unforgiving 337 now..with him i am sure i could give a better impression then this multi hundreds watts onkyo speakeramp.... But i will try
1. This sound needs to get customed to!! I come from the velvetly lightling fast excellent lighter sounding velours pads..so first hour it was hard to like the new fuller more agressive sound.
But after a while my ears and mind got customed to the sound..
And this is what i like more then the velours:
1. That bass!! Omg..especially with bass guitars and trobones..eery how low it goes now..and i love some heavy metallica and some of the lower (evilish) voices almost give me the shivers now..that evil they sound now...so much more power!
2. Mids..female voice sound more real..(adele sounds so lush now!!)
3. Decay..it looks like that music has longer time to get to pure silence..i love that!!
4. Black is blacker!! Cant explain it better
5. Sound is a bit more in yar face..fuller..supercharged..with velours its a bit more laidback.
This is what i found less then the velours
1. Soundstage is less airy..less speaker like..just a bit..but it can also be that i have to get customed to it and the pads needs burn in time..
2. Female voices dont get to the higher octaves (marah carey and sarah brighton)..burn in time?
3. Sound is a bit congested compared to the velours..burn in time?
4. Less air around the instruments...again burn in time?
All with all i consider the modular pads as supercharged pleathers...they come very close to the goods points of the velours combined with the very good points the pleathers have.
For me its a keeper..NOT PERFECT..BUT..
but then again...if i had my 337 i could experiment with tubes which sound more airy and detaily and brighter.to complement the bit darker sound compared to the velours....with some smart tuberolling i am sure this could be THE best mod ever for a hifiman headphone...no matter the price!!
..f..ck...i hate it now that i sold my evil 337..
but then again..my new amp will be super dynamic and punchy....is it possible that this modulor supercharged/grill modded/headbandmodded he500 combined with a supersecret amp could be a serious contenter for any other (higher end) headphone rig??? Who knows!! Stay tuned for more Edited by hifimanrookie - 8/7/13 at 1:51pm