Wow, I just finished Parts 2 and 4 and whether it's those or the 12 hours of brown noise I played through these today the difference is incredible. Melodie Gardot's breath is tickling my earlobes ;) Gonna do the velour pads here in a couple.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Will a Fiio X3 adequately drive the Hifiman HE 500 or should i go for the HE 400 (as both as... Last post on 3/17/14 at 4:00pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Hifiman He-400 vs He-500 vs Beyerdynamic T90 Last post on 1/6/14 at 7:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Black Friday Dilemma -- LCD-2, HE-400 or HE-500 Last post on 11/29/13 at 11:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HE-400 vs. HE-500 vs. HE-4 Comparison Last post on 3/3/14 at 12:02am in Headphones (full-size)
- For sale: HiFiMan HE-400 + premium wooden box + pleather/velour pads [PRICE DROP] Last post on 1/14/14 at 5:06pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
I have had these now for a few months. I heard they had a very bass orientated sound but not so much that it ruins everything else. When i first purchased these i was a bit confused as to why they...
I bought a pair of HM5s about 6 months ago. They give you absolutely great sound for under $150 but I ran into a big problem. Both sides where the slider connects to the headphones started to...
First a bit of background on my experiences with headphone amps. I have tried the Fiio E17, Objective 2, the 2.3W amp built into my laptop, my Yamaha receiver's headphone out and a cheap $40...
I bought these cans 2 years ago and sold them to get the ATH-M50, which then lead me into the audio world. Overall these are good portable headphones with great build quality. The sound, however,...
The Sennheiser Momentum On Ear is bursting with goodness. Nice looks, sound, and great value to go with it. Now, Let's go straight into it! These look so phenomenal, with all that alcantara...
= Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 = - Page 30
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #437 of 16213/4/13 at 3:02am
I've done a lot more listening since doing the sub bass mod, and I really think now that jerg you've stumbled on a gold mine with this one. Bass is really low reaching, more so than i remember with my previous velour pads. It's quite amazing really, flicking through my hip hop songs really brings joy, it extends down so well and just seems to have more body.
I really think that for people who don't want to try the whole jergpad mod, they should at least try the sub bass mod as it doesn't require any irreversible changes, just some tape.post #438 of 16213/4/13 at 3:23ampost #439 of 16213/4/13 at 3:31ampost #440 of 16213/4/13 at 3:52ampost #441 of 16213/4/13 at 3:54am
Totally agree with you @beaver316 the bass is crazy low now. I did the 10Hz >> 200Hz sweep on this page http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php before and after and the difference is quite noticeable, before any of the mods I could hear the tone just as he was finishing saying 20Hz now I can hear it just as he starts to say 20. I have 37 year old abused ears too, the top end tests make me cry because I can't hear anything over about 16KHz, so younger people may be able to hear even lower than I can.
I really noticed a huge difference in sound with the damping cutouts, but now I'm curious to hear what they would sound like with just the two bass mods mentioned, I think the mids would still be a little muddied due to the resonances. Overall I'm really stoked that I found this mod and decided to do it, I'm definitely going to enjoy these cans for quite some time now. I am curious as to how the double sided tape is going to hold up on the velour pads though, I'm thinking that fabric stores sell cloth double sided tape which should be softer and more durable to sweat, oil and movement. I may try that out next.post #442 of 16213/6/13 at 12:01ampost #443 of 16213/6/13 at 10:01pmThread Starterpost #444 of 16213/6/13 at 10:07pmpost #445 of 16213/6/13 at 11:43pmQuote:
A pat on the back for you jerg. Way to go mate.
I liked it better than the stock pleather pads. :Ppost #446 of 16213/6/13 at 11:47pm
I did my share of Jergpads just now. I'll explain in each picture what I did. I did up to the 2nd version of Jergpads
^ As you can see, Velour VS Jergpads. Look at that venting, you can see through it almost
^ Another side-by-side
^ Left is Jergpad, right is Velour. Instead of putting more tape, you can see I used less. The tape I used is the 3M double-sided car tape. It is a sticky, rubbery compound. I used it because I was too lazy to stack all the electrical tapes to make it thick, so I used the grey tape as a shortcut and worked for me.
^ As you can see, I used one layer of the 3M double-sided sticky car tape and one layer of electrical tape in order to refrain the car tape from sticking.
^ There you have it, a slightly revised version of the Jergpad, but for a lazy me. Essentially the same mods, with a few exceptions.
Cheers Jerg!post #447 of 16213/6/13 at 11:54pmpost #448 of 16213/6/13 at 11:58pm
I think there is more to it than the graph shows, though. Looking at the graph it is really minor changes. Maybe you should include the stock pleather pad CSD too, or isn't it available?
Edited by davidsh - 3/7/13 at 12:00ampost #449 of 16213/7/13 at 12:07amThread StarterQuote:
Subjective impressions with an attentive ear are almost always more dramatic and clear than measurements.
I'd say the tonal difference between velourHE500 and jergpadHE500 is very significant in the measurements, especially considering how little stock pleathers vs velours differed in the FR curvature with purrin's HE400 measurements, all that could be detected was mostly a difference in levels over sections of the frequency range:
Also as I explained in the comments under the graphs, certain things like reduced ringing in low~mid midrange, and improved clarity/staging, can't really be deciphered from FR or traditional CSD.post #450 of 16213/7/13 at 9:24pm
Omfg man, thanks alot for this guide!
Just did the core mod +back-vent mod, took me forever cuz I have really shaky hands
and I had no tape so I had to be creative and use other stuff
I will probably do the other two mods tomorrow.
The sound got ALOT better and the comfort improved as well.
Way more airy and harder hitting sub bas.
Edited by mindflayz - 3/7/13 at 9:27pm
- = Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 =
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Grado RS1i Appreciation thread 10 seconds ago
- › Audio-gd USB-32 Firmware, Drivers, and Feedback Thread 12 seconds ago
- › ATH-M50x, ATH-M40x, V-moda crossfade M80 or Sennheiser PX 360? 16 seconds ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 26 seconds ago
- › Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread 41 seconds ago
- › AURALiC owners unite! 1 minute ago
- › MHDT Havana DAC 1 minute ago
- › Head-Direct / HIFIMAN Customer Service TEAM 1 minute ago
- › The Stax Thread III 1 minute ago
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 2 minutes ago
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by Morph91
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Shure SE215 by squallkiercosa
- › Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie... by squallkiercosa
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by LaPierre
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob