Wow, I just finished Parts 2 and 4 and whether it's those or the 12 hours of brown noise I played through these today the difference is incredible. Melodie Gardot's breath is tickling my earlobes ;) Gonna do the velour pads here in a couple.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Shure SRH1540 vs HiFiMan HE-400/400i/500 Last post on 11/14/14 at 9:33am in Headphones (full-size)
- Destroyed my HE-400, what to get now? Last post on 10/24/14 at 1:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- Will the Hifiman HE400 and HE500 end up like the old Denons and become very expensive? Last post on 6/11/14 at 2:56pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD-650 vs HE-500 vs HE-400i vs HD-598 Last post on 4/29/14 at 7:39am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- He-500 cable problem Last post on 4/27/14 at 8:43am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 11/21/14
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION The first I heard about RHA (or Reid Heath Acoustics) was a thread on Head-Fi calling for...
FIIO'S E11K KILIMANJARO 2 INTRODUCTION Fiio is a Chinese maker of audio equipment that has become well known for offering good gear at highly competitive prices. With a lineup of...
AKG K3003 is an important milestone in the development of IEM. It’s THE FIRST universal fit IEM that successfully combines dynamic driver and balance armature technology together. After owning them...
Had this little player for sometime now recently purchased the X1 and comparing them both im still sold on the DX50 although I still like my X1 but I still find the sound seperation on the DX50...
Disclaimer: I received this unit for review purpose as a part of the Australasian tour. The unit is owned by Paul (Brooko). Thank you for making this happen. Summary: This is the...
= Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 = - Page 30
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I've done a lot more listening since doing the sub bass mod, and I really think now that jerg you've stumbled on a gold mine with this one. Bass is really low reaching, more so than i remember with my previous velour pads. It's quite amazing really, flicking through my hip hop songs really brings joy, it extends down so well and just seems to have more body.
I really think that for people who don't want to try the whole jergpad mod, they should at least try the sub bass mod as it doesn't require any irreversible changes, just some tape.
Totally agree with you @beaver316 the bass is crazy low now. I did the 10Hz >> 200Hz sweep on this page http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php before and after and the difference is quite noticeable, before any of the mods I could hear the tone just as he was finishing saying 20Hz now I can hear it just as he starts to say 20. I have 37 year old abused ears too, the top end tests make me cry because I can't hear anything over about 16KHz, so younger people may be able to hear even lower than I can.
I really noticed a huge difference in sound with the damping cutouts, but now I'm curious to hear what they would sound like with just the two bass mods mentioned, I think the mids would still be a little muddied due to the resonances. Overall I'm really stoked that I found this mod and decided to do it, I'm definitely going to enjoy these cans for quite some time now. I am curious as to how the double sided tape is going to hold up on the velour pads though, I'm thinking that fabric stores sell cloth double sided tape which should be softer and more durable to sweat, oil and movement. I may try that out next.
A pat on the back for you jerg. Way to go mate.
I liked it better than the stock pleather pads. :P
I did my share of Jergpads just now. I'll explain in each picture what I did. I did up to the 2nd version of Jergpads
^ As you can see, Velour VS Jergpads. Look at that venting, you can see through it almost
^ Another side-by-side
^ Left is Jergpad, right is Velour. Instead of putting more tape, you can see I used less. The tape I used is the 3M double-sided car tape. It is a sticky, rubbery compound. I used it because I was too lazy to stack all the electrical tapes to make it thick, so I used the grey tape as a shortcut and worked for me.
^ As you can see, I used one layer of the 3M double-sided sticky car tape and one layer of electrical tape in order to refrain the car tape from sticking.
^ There you have it, a slightly revised version of the Jergpad, but for a lazy me. Essentially the same mods, with a few exceptions.
I think there is more to it than the graph shows, though. Looking at the graph it is really minor changes. Maybe you should include the stock pleather pad CSD too, or isn't it available?
Edited by davidsh - 3/7/13 at 12:00am
Subjective impressions with an attentive ear are almost always more dramatic and clear than measurements.
I'd say the tonal difference between velourHE500 and jergpadHE500 is very significant in the measurements, especially considering how little stock pleathers vs velours differed in the FR curvature with purrin's HE400 measurements, all that could be detected was mostly a difference in levels over sections of the frequency range:
Also as I explained in the comments under the graphs, certain things like reduced ringing in low~mid midrange, and improved clarity/staging, can't really be deciphered from FR or traditional CSD.
Omfg man, thanks alot for this guide!
Just did the core mod +back-vent mod, took me forever cuz I have really shaky hands
and I had no tape so I had to be creative and use other stuff
I will probably do the other two mods tomorrow.
The sound got ALOT better and the comfort improved as well.
Way more airy and harder hitting sub bas.
Edited by mindflayz - 3/7/13 at 9:27pm
- = Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 =
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › New Release! The K7XX Massdrop First Edition - an exclusive from... 21 seconds ago
- › Looking for headphones with more features than the price! 1 minute ago
- › A little trick to remember, especially for first time Grado users... 1 minute ago
- › NEW! SONY NWZ-A10 Series Walkman. Micro SD Card Slot! 2 minutes ago
- › Help on choice of headphones! (IMPORTANT) 4 minutes ago
- › AKG K812 Pro 5 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 6 minutes ago
- › CEntrance HiFi-m8 LX 6 minutes ago
- › RHA T10i by Brooko
- › FiiO E11K by thatonenoob
- › AKG K3003 by GUO XIAOZHOU
- › iBasso DX50 DAP by AudioGG
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by piksnz
- › Joinhandmade Jelly Ear In Ear Headphones by thatonenoob
- › Grado Statement Series GS1000i Headphones by SoundApprentice
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by MrTechAgent
- › AKG K 702 Headphones by twelvebears
- › Beyerdynamic T90 Premium Stereo Headphone by twelvebears
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)