or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › = Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 =
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

= Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 = - Page 25

post #361 of 1702

Then for this mod, do I need to remove the other stacks except for the blue?

post #362 of 1702
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by im533 View Post

Then for this mod, do I need to remove the other stacks except for the blue?

Yep, I find that just having 1/4 of the mounting ring lifted is sufficient for what the vent mod does.

post #363 of 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

Yep, I find that just having 1/4 of the mounting ring lifted is sufficient for what the vent mod does.

Thank you very much~! I'll give it a shot.

post #364 of 1702
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by im533 View Post

Thank you very much~! I'll give it a shot.

Wow, these were your first 2 posts on head-fi in the 6 years you've joined? Haha that's pretty cool.

post #365 of 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

Wow, these were your first 2 posts on head-fi in the 6 years you've joined? Haha that's pretty cool.

Yes, it's my first time post. I'm not native English speaker, so I just look around here sometimes.. for 6 years. haha.

And.. Done. I'm happy with this double-side tape mode because I had to re-adjust the position of the pad whenever I wear the headphone.

For the sound, I'm not sure I can catch the difference, but jergpad mod itself is very satisfying, so I'm very happy. Thank you, jerg!!

post #366 of 1702
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by im533 View Post

Yes, it's my first time post. I'm not native English speaker, so I just look around here sometimes.. for 6 years. haha.

And.. Done. I'm happy with this double-side tape mode because I had to re-adjust the position of the pad whenever I wear the headphone.

For the sound, I'm not sure I can catch the difference, but jergpad mod itself is very satisfying, so I'm very happy. Thank you, jerg!!

Thanks, glad you're trying out the mod.

 

As for the adhesive modification I outlined above, it really just concerns 20-30Hz sub-bass extension, so you won't notice it unless you have a "before and after" sinewave sweep comparison, and perhaps "before and after" sub-bass test tracks comparison. It doesn't change anything else about the sound because it shouldn't.

post #367 of 1702
I have done the venting mod with 5 layers of duct tape, and I find the bass to be significantly decreased below some 50-70 Hz or something
post #368 of 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

I have done the venting mod with 5 layers of duct tape, and I find the bass to be significantly decreased below some 50-70 Hz or something


Agreed, I found the dampening alone was enough mod for me. The vents were a step too far.

post #369 of 1702
Thread Starter 

That's fine, like I mentioned the vent mod by nature decreases sub-bass extension because it lifts the mounting rings away from full-on contact with the base surface of the headphone cups. The benefit from this trade-off is a more open sound.

 

By localizing the vent mod (so it only takes up 1/4 of the mounting rings on either earpad) and making sure the other 3/4 of the mounting rings are in perfect contact with the headphone cups (by the double-sided adhesives), I sought to both enhance the sub-bass extension AND to maintain the added openness that the vent mod gives.

post #370 of 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

That's fine, like I mentioned the vent mod by nature decreases sub-bass extension because it lifts the mounting rings away from full-on contact with the base surface of the headphone cups. The benefit from this trade-off is a more open sound.

 

By localizing the vent mod (so it only takes up 1/4 of the mounting rings on either earpad) and making sure the other 3/4 of the mounting rings are in perfect contact with the headphone cups (by the double-sided adhesives), I sought to both enhance the sub-bass extension AND to maintain the added openness that the vent mod gives.


:) I try each and every mod revision. Next up is the regrilling - Thanks again for all of this...

post #371 of 1702
Thread Starter 

Taking inspiration from Beaver316, here is the result of some double-sided adhesive tape plus a pair of cannibalized HFM velours.

 

 

 

 

This definitely improves air, the velour breaks the airtight seal of the pleathers and allows the sound to breathe more (I can get a very real sense of "out of the head" imaging now, which was previously not there even with all the damping from jergpad mod). Other than that I don't notice any particular change in the sound relative to default configuration of the mod; the intimacy of the pleathers is still there, so is the clean ringing-free decay.


Edited by jerg - 2/20/13 at 11:04pm
post #372 of 1702

Looking good jerg. How does the adhesive velour compare to the stock velour pads in terms of feel? I used something slightly different from velour myself.

post #373 of 1702
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver316 View Post

Looking good jerg. How does the adhesive velour compare to the stock velour pads in terms of feel? I used something slightly different from velour myself.

It's stock velour pad velour (note I said I cannibalized a pair of velour pads), I just used double sided tape to bond the velour to the pleather.

post #374 of 1702

Oh right, missed that.

post #375 of 1702

Jerg, what's your opinion on how the jergpads sound in comparison to velour in the really low sub bass region? Im trying to compare but it's harder than I thought. I think the jergpads lose a little sub bass presence.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › = Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 =