Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › = Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 =
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

= Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 = - Page 18

post #256 of 1657

....
 

post #257 of 1657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

 

Hmm, I would think those would be hard foam... ? 

 

I wonder if anyone's tried acoustic foam? (or melamine, aka magic eraser) though probably with some holes punched to let it breath into the pad

http://www.thomann.de/nl/the_takustik_isopad_8.htm these are the ones.

post #258 of 1657

Partially done with one pad... Took more than an hour

 

 

post #259 of 1657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleybob217 View Post

http://www.thomann.de/nl/the_takustik_isopad_8.htm these are the ones.

 

I... dunno? Can you blow through them?

 

(geez that sounds dirty)

post #260 of 1657

First impression with Jergpad on right ear and normal pleather on left: The pleather sound more fatigueing, but they have more bass too. Both sub and punch, which I don't really understand. And it seems to be significant.

Sound with the jerg's seem more 'delicious' and rounded, especially sounds that tend to produce upper midrange ringing. It seem more full, despite the myseriously dissappearing bass. I think the more full sound is solely because of the tamed upper mids. Suddenly bass guitars are more subtle.

 

Just noticed that sound stage, and my first thought was 'Oooh thats delicious' when I heard some distant hi-hats fading. Seems promising.

 

But lets see tomorrow, gonna get some sleep.

post #261 of 1657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

 

I... dunno? Can you blow through them?

 

(geez that sounds dirty)


Haha yes I can, they are very porous.

post #262 of 1657
Thread Starter 

It might be a simple function of how close your ears are to the drivers, that determines the balance in the sound.

post #263 of 1657

I do have 12345 layers of tape. I haven't made any other holes than those on my first picture. I have expanded them a bit, though.

Beginning to wonder whether it is my right ear or the bass actually has decreased.

post #264 of 1657

Sick as of now... Can't even properly try or finish the pads frown.gif

post #265 of 1657
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

I do have 12345 layers of tape. I haven't made any other holes than those on my first picture. I have expanded them a bit, though.

Beginning to wonder whether it is my right ear or the bass actually has decreased.

Find another test ear biggrin.gif To check if its ur ear or the equipment.

post #266 of 1657
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post

Find another test ear biggrin.gif To check if its ur ear or the equipment.

My left ear should suffice biggrin.gif

post #267 of 1657

Okay then. First off, I want to say, that I find improvements quite minor, and not that obvious, but I haven't made many holes. I did the vent mod too.

 

As of now, I have tried to compare with 1 jergpad and 1 pleather on each earcup, and I have focused on different specific instruments/sounds only found in one of the stereo channels, then reversed the channels in foobar. So, if a bass drum in a song is heard in left channel I have tried to play that piece where the bass drum is found with both the jergpad and the pleather interchangeably.

 

Here goes:

 

Jergpad (right ear)

  • Less bass, seemingly faster decay
  • Slightly warmer
  • More smooth sound
  • More pleasent and fluid
  • More natural

 

Jergpad (left ear)

  • Bass seems faster
  • Bass seemingly doesn't dig as deep
  • A bit more emphasis on some 80-160Hz compared to the lower bass
  • Softer sound

 

Pleather (left ear)

  • More 'bite'
  • Not as balanced

 

Pleather (right ear)

  • A bit more fatigue immediately after switching
  • Guitar sound a bit more naked
  • More deep bass.

 

Also I found the treble to be toned a slight bit more down with the Jerg's

 

More comments on the overall feel of the pleather vs. jergpads and some comment on the soundstage might follow later. Remember the differences are quite minor. As of now, I can't say for sure, whether the time spend on the Jerg mod is justified. But I can say for sure, that I like the sound more, just don't know how much more yet.

 

The next step is to compare between jerg's on both ears/pleather on both ears. Then I think the advantages of the jerg pads will be more evident, but again it is harder to compare from memory.

 

As it is now, I don't fully trust my ears yet, and I do not trust myself and my mind. It might color my observations. 

post #268 of 1657
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

Okay then. First off, I want to say, that I find improvements quite minor, and not that obvious, but I haven't made many holes. I did the vent mod too.

 

As of now, I have tried to compare with 1 jergpad and 1 pleather on each earcup, and I have focused on different specific instruments/sounds only found in one of the stereo channels, then reversed the channels in foobar. So, if a bass drum in a song is heard in left channel I have tried to play that piece where the bass drum is found with both the jergpad and the pleather interchangeably.

 

Here goes:

 

Jergpad (right ear)

  • Less bass, seemingly faster decay
  • Slightly warmer
  • More smooth sound
  • More pleasent and fluid
  • More natural

 

Jergpad (left ear)

  • Bass seems faster
  • Bass seemingly doesn't dig as deep
  • A bit more emphasis on some 80-160Hz compared to the lower bass
  • Softer sound

 

Pleather (left ear)

  • More 'bite'
  • Not as balanced

 

Pleather (right ear)

  • A bit more fatigue immediately after switching
  • Guitar sound a bit more naked
  • More deep bass.

 

Also I found the treble to be toned a slight bit more down with the Jerg's

 

More comments on the overall feel of the pleather vs. jergpads and some comment on the soundstage might follow later. Remember the differences are quite minor. As of now, I can't say for sure, whether the time spend on the Jerg mod is justified. But I can say for sure, that I like the sound more, just don't know how much more yet.

 

The next step is to compare between jerg's on both ears/pleather on both ears. Then I think the advantages of the jerg pads will be more evident, but again it is harder to compare from memory.

 

As it is now, I don't fully trust my ears yet, and I do not trust myself and my mind. It might color my observations. 

If u have the chance..can u pls also compare them to the velours pads? Thanks

post #269 of 1657
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Okay then. First off, I want to say, that I find improvements quite minor, and not that obvious, but I haven't made many holes. I did the vent mod too.

 

As of now, I have tried to compare with 1 jergpad and 1 pleather on each earcup, and I have focused on different specific instruments/sounds only found in one of the stereo channels, then reversed the channels in foobar. So, if a bass drum in a song is heard in left channel I have tried to play that piece where the bass drum is found with both the jergpad and the pleather interchangeably.

 

Here goes:

 

Jergpad (right ear)

  • Less bass, seemingly faster decay
  • Slightly warmer
  • More smooth sound
  • More pleasent and fluid
  • More natural

 

Jergpad (left ear)

  • Bass seems faster
  • Bass seemingly doesn't dig as deep
  • A bit more emphasis on some 80-160Hz compared to the lower bass
  • Softer sound

 

Pleather (left ear)

  • More 'bite'
  • Not as balanced

 

Pleather (right ear)

  • A bit more fatigue immediately after switching
  • Guitar sound a bit more naked
  • More deep bass.

 

Also I found the treble to be toned a slight bit more down with the Jerg's

 

More comments on the overall feel of the pleather vs. jergpads and some comment on the soundstage might follow later. Remember the differences are quite minor. As of now, I can't say for sure, whether the time spend on the Jerg mod is justified. But I can say for sure, that I like the sound more, just don't know how much more yet.

 

The next step is to compare between jerg's on both ears/pleather on both ears. Then I think the advantages of the jerg pads will be more evident, but again it is harder to compare from memory.

 

As it is now, I don't fully trust my ears yet, and I do not trust myself and my mind. It might color my observations. 

 

 

I never liked these left-ear vs right-ear comparisons, they trivialize the overall impression of sounds (improvement or deterioration of SQ), because your brain interprets sound normally as a stereo effect, so analyzing something from only one of the two channels (such as the methodology you used there) is not that good IMO.

 

I know you were trying to eliminate biases and expectancies, but you might have eliminated a lot of actual useful information along the way.

post #270 of 1657
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

I never liked these left-ear vs right-ear comparisons, they trivialize the overall impression of sounds (improvement or deterioration of SQ), because your brain interprets sound normally as a stereo effect, so analyzing something from only one of the two channels (such as the methodology you used there) is not that good IMO.

 

I know you were trying to eliminate biases and expectancies, but you might have eliminated a lot of actual useful information along the way.

popcorn.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › = Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 =