or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › = Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 =
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

= Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 = - Page 17

post #241 of 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post


Is this the ( bit hard rough feeling) very skinny ring thats under the pads and glued to the ring that keeps the pleather (upperside) and rubbery (underside) linked together..as otherwise i dont have any ring on my pads left.as .i first cut off the rubberflap right onto the ultimate corners of the pad itself...then i cut off the dustcover until u only keep a kind of hard ridge on the outside of the pads..its almost plastic feeling..but its glued to the pleather on top of it..!!! I tried to disconnect that from the pleather upperside..but its impossible to do that without destroying the pleather upperside! Even with a surgeon cutting knife!

You say you have glued the ring onto the pad? By default you should be able to just take it out.

post #242 of 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

You say you have glued the ring onto the pad? By default you should be able to just take it out.
No..didn't glue anything..the ridge is already glued onto the pleather part on the outside of the pads ( the ridge that connects the pleather to the rubberish underside with the 4 holes already in it..)..there is no ring to take out! Maybe i cut it out when i cut the rubber flap from the pads? I cut it really close to the ridge of the pad..
post #243 of 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimanrookie View Post


Is this the ( bit hard rough feeling) very skinny ring thats under the pads and glued to the ring that keeps the pleather (upperside) and rubbery (underside) linked together..as otherwise i dont have any ring on my pads left.as .i first cut off the rubberflap right onto the ultimate corners of the pad itself...then i cut off the dustcover until u only keep a kind of hard ridge on the outside of the pads..its almost plastic feeling..but its glued to the pleather on top of it..!!! I tried to disconnect that from the pleather upperside..but its impossible to do that without destroying the pleather upperside! Even with a surgeon cutting knife!

 

You're saying that it's glued to the ring? Because it is not meant to be. You should be able to pull it out because it was never glued to anything.

post #244 of 1702

The best i can do is show you this pic i found online to demonstrate.

 

 

 

The arrows point to the ring we're talking about. You would just need to grab it and pull it right off, it's not secured. You say there is nothing left to take out, so maybe you already removed it while you were cutting off the plastic flap and dust screen.

post #245 of 1702
Thanks for thatpic..yep..i cut that part out when i cut the flap out..i now only have the ridge..thank god..i thought i was going nuts here.. biggrin.gif ur the best..thanks again for ur help my friend wink.gif
post #246 of 1702

I'm trying something completely new...

To be continued...

post #247 of 1702

 

Well I took some thinner foam than in the previous picture and shoved them beneath the pads.

 

Pros:

It did increase soundstage, and obviously the pad depth. So there is absolutely no more physical ear - driver interaction.

Bass seemed a bit cleaner.

 

Cons:

The sound loses its warmth.

Treble seems less detailed, less air.

 

I tried all different setups, I tried three different foam pads in thickness.

I tried to stuff the foam just in the back of the pads.

 

Conclusion:

Don't do it, it sounds a bit off. The jergpads lose their magic.

 

But hey, this is important in science as well right? If anyone would just report their failed experiments, this would save other researchers a lot of time!

 

However, I tried this mod on my closed headphones, and it worked magic! A bit less treble, and a bit more bass and soundstage. Just what I was looking for!

post #248 of 1702
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleybob217 View Post

 

Well I took some thinner foam than in the previous picture and shoved them beneath the pads.

 

Pros:

It did increase soundstage, and obviously the pad depth. So there is absolutely no more physical ear - driver interaction.

Bass seemed a bit cleaner.

 

Cons:

The sound loses its warmth.

Treble seems less detailed, less air.

 

I tried all different setups, I tried three different foam pads in thickness.

I tried to stuff the foam just in the back of the pads.

 

Conclusion:

Don't do it, it sounds a bit off. The jergpads lose their magic.

 

But hey, this is important in science as well right? If anyone would just report their failed experiments, this would save other researchers a lot of time!

 

However, I tried this mod on my closed headphones, and it worked magic! A bit less treble, and a bit more bass and soundstage. Just what I was looking for!

Yeah that is basically like the foam insert ring that stock pleathers have. IMO the slight increase in soundstage and (arguably) comfort is not worth the severe deterioration in warmth and transparency.

post #249 of 1702

But were they closed or open celled foam? (ie: breathable foam)

post #250 of 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

But were they closed or open celled foam? (ie: breathable foam)

Pretty sure it's breathable foam. They are meant as monitor decouplers.

post #251 of 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

Yeah that is basically like the foam insert ring that stock pleathers have. IMO the slight increase in soundstage and (arguably) comfort is not worth the severe deterioration in warmth and transparency.

Yes I agree.

 

However the soft foam wasn't as bad as the hard foam insert ring. 

post #252 of 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post

I'm not too sure about having the whole base lifted by tape stacks. Based on my sinewave sweeps, doing this around the full circle of the mounting ring causes an emphasis of midbass and roll-off of subbass, so you will perceive more bass punch but overall bass response will become less linear/extended.

That's why I kept the "vent minimod" as a partial lifting so the pads are still able to conduct the subbass through sections of the mounting rings that are not lifted off the cups.

@wje

So did you end up changing the tape stacks or did you just keep it the same. I'm curious as the J$ pads are my pads of preference.

Edit: referring to the pic you took before the comment from jerg.
Edited by merkil - 1/29/13 at 6:55am
post #253 of 1702

Going to attempt the Jergpad mod and make a comparison between the pleathers and jergpads

post #254 of 1702

Heres the first set of patterns I'll try after dinner

 

post #255 of 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleybob217 View Post

Pretty sure it's breathable foam. They are meant as monitor decouplers.

 

Hmm, I would think those would be hard foam... ? 

 

I wonder if anyone's tried acoustic foam? (or melamine, aka magic eraser) though probably with some holes punched to let it breath into the pad

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › = Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 =