Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › = Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 =
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

= Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 = - Page 91

post #1351 of 1677

Just did the mod, thanks Jerg!

 

Also, I didn't have the patience to sit there with an exacto knife and cut holes, so I just busted out my crappy radioshack soldering iron and burned the holes :)

 

It worked incredibly well, the black plastic melts quick and the white foam underneath doesn't burn at all. Took me about 2 minutes to do the whole job and it looks nice an pretty!

post #1352 of 1677

Would these blades be any good in cutting the holes in the pads?

 

http://brodak.com/excel-small-o-router.html

http://www.xacto.com/products/cutting-solutions/blades/classic-blades/Router-Assortment.aspx

 

Probably depends how sharp they are. One of them is about 8mm in diameter.

post #1353 of 1677
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunyunBreath View Post
 

Just did the mod, thanks Jerg!

 

Also, I didn't have the patience to sit there with an exacto knife and cut holes, so I just busted out my crappy radioshack soldering iron and burned the holes :)

 

It worked incredibly well, the black plastic melts quick and the white foam underneath doesn't burn at all. Took me about 2 minutes to do the whole job and it looks nice an pretty!


Can you take a pic please?

Would be interesting to see how it turned out.

post #1354 of 1677
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunyunBreath View Post
 

Just did the mod, thanks Jerg!

 

Also, I didn't have the patience to sit there with an exacto knife and cut holes, so I just busted out my crappy radioshack soldering iron and burned the holes :)

 

It worked incredibly well, the black plastic melts quick and the white foam underneath doesn't burn at all. Took me about 2 minutes to do the whole job and it looks nice an pretty!

You might be a mad genius...

post #1355 of 1677
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlxx View Post
 


Can you take a pic please?

Would be interesting to see how it turned out.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thujone View Post
 

You might be a mad genius...

 

Haha here's some pics. As you can see, the key is a fine glass of wine, I recommend a ruby port :beyersmile:

 

 

PS don't mind the funky purple/yellow hues in the last photo, just some weird chromatic aberration from using the flash on these. I swear nothing got burned haha.

post #1356 of 1677
someone should really look into having completly new pads manufactured. Then you could sell directly to the likes of headamp and head-direct, they would in turn sell the pads for an extra, lets say 50 bucks, on top of selling price of whatever hifiman or even possibly audeze hp. Jerg and mod need to create an office in China...make some mass produced brand new factory made pads, offer them in different flavors as well, ie, angled, pleather, velour topped, vegan, velour angled. Pads for the planar community. And make some comfy thick pads designed for the he4 please!
Edited by hemipowered007 - 12/9/13 at 8:27pm
post #1357 of 1677
Or maybe mrspeakers himself would like to expand his business....
post #1358 of 1677
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunyunBreath View Post
 

 

 

 

Haha here's some pics. As you can see, the key is a fine glass of wine, I recommend a ruby port :beyersmile:

 

 

PS don't mind the funky purple/yellow hues in the last photo, just some weird chromatic aberration from using the flash on these. I swear nothing got burned haha.

The outer ring of holes could be a bit larger, but otherwise a very clean creative way to do this. Cheers.

post #1359 of 1677

That is a great idea, and I think even I will be able to do it.

post #1360 of 1677
Jerg, could you help me out with a few queries please..

So far I have just cut out the vinyl to expose the holes underneath in the plastic ring and removed the foam ring, have been trying it like that but I can't say I notice much of a sound difference so far. Removing the foam ring however makes my ears now touch the driver. The vent mod might help this but it messes with the bass on the HE400. I was thinking of making some foam rings out of the same material as the foam inside the pleather pads and then thought doing this could also not require cutting any holes. Ever tried this?

I was also wondering if you have done any testing to come up with the size and location of the holes in your guide. Is that the best arrangement or is that something that you tried that worked well and stuck with it? Any reason why the smaller hole arrangement (like with the soldering iron above) wouldn't work as well? I notice that most factory made pads that have holes tend to have lots of smaller holes. Is the idea to have as much foam exposed (symmetrically) without compromising the structure?
Edited by mlxx - 12/11/13 at 10:14pm
post #1361 of 1677

Guess you just need to have as many and big holes as possible for the best damping.

post #1362 of 1677
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlxx View Post

Jerg, could you help me out with a few queries please..

So far I have just cut out the vinyl to expose the holes underneath in the plastic ring and removed the foam ring, have been trying it like that but I can't say I notice much of a sound difference so far. Removing the foam ring however makes my ears now touch the driver. The vent mod might help this but it messes with the bass on the HE400. I was thinking of making some foam rings out of the same material as the foam inside the pleather pads and then thought doing this could also not require cutting any holes. Ever tried this?

I was also wondering if you have done any testing to come up with the size and location of the holes in your guide. Is that the best arrangement or is that something that you tried that worked well and stuck with it? Any reason why the smaller hole arrangement (like with the soldering iron above) wouldn't work as well? I notice that most factory made pads that have holes tend to have lots of smaller holes. Is the idea to have as much foam exposed (symmetrically) without compromising the structure?

If your ears touch the driver without the foam ring, then you should tuck it back in I think. Yeah you could go crazy and try whatever, no one is stopping you. As for the damping hole arrangement, what has been done is the most straight forward, but smaller but denser holes may work as well if not better (no one has done the soldering iron approach before the very recent attempt, that's why smaller holes tended to be avoided due to it being annoying to do them).

 

As always, if anyone feel they may be able to improve the mod design further, don't hesitate to try and share the results with us around here. It's an iterative community process.

post #1363 of 1677
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg View Post
 

If your ears touch the driver without the foam ring, then you should tuck it back in I think. Yeah you could go crazy and try whatever, no one is stopping you. As for the damping hole arrangement, what has been done is the most straight forward, but smaller but denser holes may work as well if not better (no one has done the soldering iron approach before the very recent attempt, that's why smaller holes tended to be avoided due to it being annoying to do them).

 

As always, if anyone feel they may be able to improve the mod design further, don't hesitate to try and share the results with us around here. It's an iterative community process.

 

Jerg, I did go back the other day and widened the holes a bit with my soldering iron just to see if it made much difference. I couldn't really hear much of a difference for what it's worth.

post #1364 of 1677

I can't see why a bunch of little holes wouldn't be as good as a lesser amount of large holes.

post #1365 of 1677
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunyunBreath View Post
 

 

Jerg, I did go back the other day and widened the holes a bit with my soldering iron just to see if it made much difference. I couldn't really hear much of a difference for what it's worth.

With this kind of modding, everything is cumulative and hardly anything suddenly makes a huge difference. Basically when I initially fiddled around with the early revisions of the damping holes, I did two small rings of holes and felt that the midrange decay for HE500 was not sufficiently cleaned up, so I made the central holes larger and added a third ring of holes at the very corners, and to me that seemed to push it just past the threshold where I was satisfied at the time about the 700-1kHz ringing removal.

 

The same kind of iteration was done in most of the other steps too, either by myself or by others who were a little innovative when they attempted this mod.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › = Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 =