We're just trying to let Vaatu out of our HE-500's, no biggie.
LOL. I had no idea what I was typing, and thus what genie was escaping from what bottle. Every day I learn some seriously geeky stuff on these forums.
For me, I'm just trying to harness the energy of the Pipes of Pan. I heard Creatology felt is really good for that.
"...and so say all of us...Tap into America!"
I observed a slight caveat with the felt backwave damping modification ONLY if one uses the stiffened felt, that is somehow because it is so rigid, it acts as a waveguide too well especially for the treble region, and so the end sound might sound a bit more stringent around 10kHz.
The simple solution to this, I found, has been to taper off the right angles of the felt strips that line the grid of the drivers. Easiest way to do it is to use your fingernails and pass through between each two strips of felt a dozen times. So basically the aim is to round off the outer corners of the stiffened felt strips to reduce the "waveguide" effect (imagine reshaping the cross-section of the felt strips so that it is now a half-circle instead of a rectangle).
Of course some of you might not note these differences, but I tend to be extremely picky about sound signatures, especially minor changes in sound signatures, as they bug me a lot as soon as I notice them. So just take the above with a grain of salt and only try it if the situation fits yours and you yourself experienced a similar phenomenon.
Funny thing guys. There seems to be a mix up with people (like me) using the wrong user name in trying to contact Modulor for Jerg pads. I've been using the user name Modular instead.
I thought Modulor was ignoring me. Sorry about that Modulor..
Yeah its really hard to find a good calculater too...=(
I feel your pain, I had it wrong too, at first but it only took a re-read before the first PM to notice it in my case. I had forgotten about the drop down on the user names at the time.
I'll admit, I almost PM'd you instead of Modulor too, the first time I tried to PM him. Only stopped myself when I noticed your avatar was different.
I'm thinking of disassembling mine and rounding out the openings on both sides of the magnets... NAH! But it's an interesting thought experiment
I was a bit neater on the back side of the driver (since it will actually be seen):
The visco-elastic material is hard to work with in thin strips, so I stuck to felt for the driver, but since I had some extra dynamat laying around, I put it on the inside ring of the housing. Hopefully this experiment pays off.