Wow, I just finished Parts 2 and 4 and whether it's those or the 12 hours of brown noise I played through these today the difference is incredible. Melodie Gardot's breath is tickling my earlobes ;) Gonna do the velour pads here in a couple.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HE-400 vs. HE-500 vs. HE-4 Comparison Last post on 12/2/13 at 11:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- For sale: HiFiMan HE-400 + premium wooden box + pleather/velour pads [PRICE DROP] Last post on 11/26/13 at 3:36pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- He 500 fix the "zingy" sound of the HE 400? Last post on 11/4/13 at 2:42am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone pressure Last post on 10/28/13 at 12:29pm in Headphones (full-size)
- he400 trade for he4 or,he5le he500 plus cash Last post on 11/1/13 at 1:05pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: Yesterday
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/28/12
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
http://www.head-fi.org/t/685339/new-akg-flagship-k812-first-impression/120#post_10026763 Now I correct the Google translate - I use http://www.dict.cc/ and my (small) knowledge of English I hope...
Sounds great with the modded AKG Q701. Nearly as good with that as my main amp that originally cost $350. Impressive! In fact, the Vali added nothing to the sound of the modded Q701, which is...
*I listened to the Westone 4Rs using iPhone 4S and the latest iPod Classic (6th Generation). The below sums up my listening experience from these sources only.* The Westone 4Rs fit my ears...
I have owned the ECP Audio L-2 for about 2 months now. I also own an Eddie Current Super 7 with NOS tubes, including Tung Sol BGRP driver tube. I have previously owned the Woo WA22, the Luxman...
I'm a noob to high quality audio equipment. I have been using V-Moda M-80's. I bought these because they were onsale for $272, and it would be stupid not to buy them at that price. I just opened...
= Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 = (Modulor orders updated - November) - Page 30
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #437 of 13383/4/13 at 3:02am
I've done a lot more listening since doing the sub bass mod, and I really think now that jerg you've stumbled on a gold mine with this one. Bass is really low reaching, more so than i remember with my previous velour pads. It's quite amazing really, flicking through my hip hop songs really brings joy, it extends down so well and just seems to have more body.
I really think that for people who don't want to try the whole jergpad mod, they should at least try the sub bass mod as it doesn't require any irreversible changes, just some tape.post #438 of 13383/4/13 at 3:23ampost #439 of 13383/4/13 at 3:31ampost #440 of 13383/4/13 at 3:52ampost #441 of 13383/4/13 at 3:54am
Totally agree with you @beaver316 the bass is crazy low now. I did the 10Hz >> 200Hz sweep on this page http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php before and after and the difference is quite noticeable, before any of the mods I could hear the tone just as he was finishing saying 20Hz now I can hear it just as he starts to say 20. I have 37 year old abused ears too, the top end tests make me cry because I can't hear anything over about 16KHz, so younger people may be able to hear even lower than I can.
I really noticed a huge difference in sound with the damping cutouts, but now I'm curious to hear what they would sound like with just the two bass mods mentioned, I think the mids would still be a little muddied due to the resonances. Overall I'm really stoked that I found this mod and decided to do it, I'm definitely going to enjoy these cans for quite some time now. I am curious as to how the double sided tape is going to hold up on the velour pads though, I'm thinking that fabric stores sell cloth double sided tape which should be softer and more durable to sweat, oil and movement. I may try that out next.post #442 of 13383/6/13 at 12:01ampost #443 of 13383/6/13 at 10:01pmThread Starterpost #444 of 13383/6/13 at 10:07pmpost #445 of 13383/6/13 at 11:43pmQuote:
A pat on the back for you jerg. Way to go mate.
I liked it better than the stock pleather pads. :Ppost #446 of 13383/6/13 at 11:47pm
I did my share of Jergpads just now. I'll explain in each picture what I did. I did up to the 2nd version of Jergpads
^ As you can see, Velour VS Jergpads. Look at that venting, you can see through it almost
^ Another side-by-side
^ Left is Jergpad, right is Velour. Instead of putting more tape, you can see I used less. The tape I used is the 3M double-sided car tape. It is a sticky, rubbery compound. I used it because I was too lazy to stack all the electrical tapes to make it thick, so I used the grey tape as a shortcut and worked for me.
^ As you can see, I used one layer of the 3M double-sided sticky car tape and one layer of electrical tape in order to refrain the car tape from sticking.
^ There you have it, a slightly revised version of the Jergpad, but for a lazy me. Essentially the same mods, with a few exceptions.
Cheers Jerg!post #447 of 13383/6/13 at 11:54pmpost #448 of 13383/6/13 at 11:58pm
I think there is more to it than the graph shows, though. Looking at the graph it is really minor changes. Maybe you should include the stock pleather pad CSD too, or isn't it available?
Edited by davidsh - 3/7/13 at 12:00ampost #449 of 13383/7/13 at 12:07amThread StarterQuote:
Subjective impressions with an attentive ear are almost always more dramatic and clear than measurements.
I'd say the tonal difference between velourHE500 and jergpadHE500 is very significant in the measurements, especially considering how little stock pleathers vs velours differed in the FR curvature with purrin's HE400 measurements, all that could be detected was mostly a difference in levels over sections of the frequency range:
Also as I explained in the comments under the graphs, certain things like reduced ringing in low~mid midrange, and improved clarity/staging, can't really be deciphered from FR or traditional CSD.post #450 of 13383/7/13 at 9:24pm
Omfg man, thanks alot for this guide!
Just did the core mod +back-vent mod, took me forever cuz I have really shaky hands
and I had no tape so I had to be creative and use other stuff
I will probably do the other two mods tomorrow.
The sound got ALOT better and the comfort improved as well.
Way more airy and harder hitting sub bas.
Edited by mindflayz - 3/7/13 at 9:27pm
- = Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 = (Modulor orders updated - November)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Trying to narrow X-Mas list (DT880 vs. HE400 vs. HD650) 2 seconds ago
- › [NEW PRODUCT] ADL Furutech X1 - The iDevice DACs Coming Thick and Fast 30 seconds ago
- › INCREDIBLE!! THE YOUNGER SIBLING OF PROJECT SUNRISE 2--THE NEW... 1 minute ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 1 minute ago
- › Themed Monthly Avatar Committee (TMAC) discussion thread 1 minute ago
- › How many headphones is too much? 1 minute ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser ORPHEUS HE-90 *LIKE NEW* MINT CONDITION *ORIGINAL... 2 minutes ago
- › THE HYPE.............................. Appreciation Thread. 3 minutes ago
- › Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent. 3 minutes ago
- › AKG K812 by FritzS
- › Schiit Vali by tdockweiler
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by Wilderbeast
- › ecp audio L-2 Parafeed Headphone Amplifier by minimus
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by DrumminD21311
- › FiiO RC-MH1 Headphone Upgrade Cable by SkyBleu
- › Sennheiser CX 175 by thesurvivor90
- › EarSonics SM2 v2 by Gilly87
- › Shure SE535-V Triple High-Definition MicroDriver Earphone with... by Wilderbeast
- › Sony MDRXB600 Extra Bass Over the Head 40mm Driver Headphone, Black by Shini44
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Cables &... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Wireless... by joe