Wow, I just finished Parts 2 and 4 and whether it's those or the 12 hours of brown noise I played through these today the difference is incredible. Melodie Gardot's breath is tickling my earlobes ;) Gonna do the velour pads here in a couple.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The IEM equivalent of an HE-400/HE-500 with regards to imaging? Last post on 5/16/13 at 11:43pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Wanted: Hifiman HE400, HE500, Senn 650, or equivalent etc, (trade for my stuff + cash!) Last post on 4/30/13 at 9:22am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Best setup for under $1000 (headphone, amp, and dac) Last post on 4/15/13 at 2:38pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HE 400 (rev 2) With Pleathers and Velours Last post on 5/17/13 at 1:16pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- HiFiMAN: Here to stay or FOTM? Last post on 5/7/13 at 7:49am in Headphones (full-size)
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)
Edited on 12/28/12
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Edited on 5/13/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)
= Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.0 = - Page 30
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I've done a lot more listening since doing the sub bass mod, and I really think now that jerg you've stumbled on a gold mine with this one. Bass is really low reaching, more so than i remember with my previous velour pads. It's quite amazing really, flicking through my hip hop songs really brings joy, it extends down so well and just seems to have more body.
I really think that for people who don't want to try the whole jergpad mod, they should at least try the sub bass mod as it doesn't require any irreversible changes, just some tape.
Totally agree with you @beaver316 the bass is crazy low now. I did the 10Hz >> 200Hz sweep on this page http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php before and after and the difference is quite noticeable, before any of the mods I could hear the tone just as he was finishing saying 20Hz now I can hear it just as he starts to say 20. I have 37 year old abused ears too, the top end tests make me cry because I can't hear anything over about 16KHz, so younger people may be able to hear even lower than I can.
I really noticed a huge difference in sound with the damping cutouts, but now I'm curious to hear what they would sound like with just the two bass mods mentioned, I think the mids would still be a little muddied due to the resonances. Overall I'm really stoked that I found this mod and decided to do it, I'm definitely going to enjoy these cans for quite some time now. I am curious as to how the double sided tape is going to hold up on the velour pads though, I'm thinking that fabric stores sell cloth double sided tape which should be softer and more durable to sweat, oil and movement. I may try that out next.
A pat on the back for you jerg. Way to go mate.
I liked it better than the stock pleather pads. :P
I did my share of Jergpads just now. I'll explain in each picture what I did. I did up to the 2nd version of Jergpads
^ As you can see, Velour VS Jergpads. Look at that venting, you can see through it almost
^ Another side-by-side
^ Left is Jergpad, right is Velour. Instead of putting more tape, you can see I used less. The tape I used is the 3M double-sided car tape. It is a sticky, rubbery compound. I used it because I was too lazy to stack all the electrical tapes to make it thick, so I used the grey tape as a shortcut and worked for me.
^ As you can see, I used one layer of the 3M double-sided sticky car tape and one layer of electrical tape in order to refrain the car tape from sticking.
^ There you have it, a slightly revised version of the Jergpad, but for a lazy me. Essentially the same mods, with a few exceptions.
I think there is more to it than the graph shows, though. Looking at the graph it is really minor changes. Maybe you should include the stock pleather pad CSD too, or isn't it available?
Edited by davidsh - 3/7/13 at 12:00am
Subjective impressions with an attentive ear are almost always more dramatic and clear than measurements.
I'd say the tonal difference between velourHE500 and jergpadHE500 is very significant in the measurements, especially considering how little stock pleathers vs velours differed in the FR curvature with purrin's HE400 measurements, all that could be detected was mostly a difference in levels over sections of the frequency range:
Also as I explained in the comments under the graphs, certain things like reduced ringing in low~mid midrange, and improved clarity/staging, can't really be deciphered from FR or traditional CSD.
Omfg man, thanks alot for this guide!
Just did the core mod +back-vent mod, took me forever cuz I have really shaky hands
and I had no tape so I had to be creative and use other stuff
I will probably do the other two mods tomorrow.
The sound got ALOT better and the comfort improved as well.
Way more airy and harder hitting sub bas.
Edited by mindflayz - 3/7/13 at 9:27pm
- = Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.0 =
- › Sony XB series 2 seconds ago
- › Looking to buy some speakers 25 seconds ago
- › Toxic Cables - The Appreciation Thread 28 seconds ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 51 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!! 1 minute ago
- › New Beyer DT1350 1 minute ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 1 minute ago
- › SoundMAGIC HP100 Review 1 minute ago
- › ALO Audio RXMKIII Balanced Portable Amplifier Impressions 2 minutes ago
- › New High End Custom-to-Universal IEM: StageDiver 3 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD-558 by Tr1ckster
- › Go-Dap DD Socket1 (DD/DA Converter) for iPhone & iPod... by AnakChan
- › Philips SHL5905BK/28 CitiScape Uptown by Marleybob217
- › AKG K 550 by a_recording
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by a_recording
- › Sony XBA-40/N Gold | Quad Balanced Armature In-Ear Headphones... by a_recording
- › Sony XBA-4SL by a_recording
- › Sony MDR-MA900 Over the Head Style Headphones by a_recording
- › Aune T1 by teb1013
- › Logitech Speaker System Z623 by D3Seeker
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Power Corner) by joe